• 1 Post By jsvette
  • 1 Post By Havingfun
  • 2 Post By Steam

Thread: Changed battery and now getting notifications

Member #
    Liked
    260 times

Changed battery and now getting notifications

Last week I changed my battery,(myself) with a new Dura Last battery. Things went fairly smoothly . I received from the Chevrolet dealer and On Star, a notification which says, 'Low state of charge' service code SAC 003. It was several days after I changed it. It also says that driving the car will charge the battery and sometimes using different OEM will cause codes. I have been driving it and have no problems. When I hooked up the battery everything still worked fine and it looks like nothing had to be reset. Nothing appears on the instrument panel. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm thinking it might be because the battery was taken out and caused a code.

Mileage
    107,000 (s)miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    4870 times
    I assume you used a code reader, cleared the code (since as you stated, it's probably a code falsely generated by the short zero voltage that occurred during the battery swap), and then the code came back?
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10442 times
    Since you apparently still have an active On Star, ask them to run diagnostics while your car is running. I did not experience any code or issues when I changed out RedHot's. I seriously doubt that using a different battery than the OEM would generate a code unless it is the wrong size.

Check to make sure that you have all of the connections tight on the new battery, especially look at the smaller wire in this image with the one with the yellow triangle by the red arrow #1
    Name:  Daum (3 of 12).jpg
Views: 20
Size:  2.80 MB
    elegant likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    44 miles a day
    Member #
    Liked
    2921 times
    Also check that the small wire, indicated in the pic above with the yellow triangle, has not been broken.
    jsvette likes this.
    NCM Lifetime MemberXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXHaving trouble searching the forum? Try a Google search "[keyword] site:Hidden Content Vettenessa: 2015 Arctic White/Adrenaline Red 3LT Z51 M7 Coupe, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Carbon fiber instrument panel, Carbon flash badge package, Carbon flash spoiler and mirrors, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Black machined aluminum wheels. Ordered on 10/23/2014. Status code 3000 on 12/18/2014. Status code 3300 on 01/15/15. TPW 01/26/15. Produced 01/15. Arrived 02/12/15.
    Hidden Content Valentine's Day
    2016 BASH
    Forum Rules
    Vendor Rules
    For-Sale Rules
    Business Rules
    Introductions
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    I just checked everything and nothing look broken and all nuts are tight. The code I received from On Star thru a e mail was SAC003. I called GM service line and asked about the code and the best they gave me was take it to the dealer. Ill try On Star tomorrow and ask them to run a diagnostic. I just thought maybe other C7 owners may have had this code .

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10442 times
    Steam, here is what I found re the code:

Name:  code.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  137.4 KB
    rdslon01 likes this.
    aka Jeff
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    No ,I got the code from OnStar and the dealer I bought the car from. I got the notice a few days after I changed the battery. I never cleared the code. The funny thing is ,I went out to start the car with the original batt in it and zero, it would only make a sound like the starter was very slowly turning. The car never gave me any indication that the batt was on its way out. It could be the notice was from when the batt died and just got to me several days later. I don't know how fast they are delivering these notifications. Will try On Star tomorrow with the car running.

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsvette View Post
    Steam, here is what I found re the code:

Name:  code.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  137.4 KB
    Thank you for that info!

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10442 times
    Most welcome. Possibly yours will self-clear in a few more ignition cycles.
    Steam likes this.
    aka Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I changed out my own battery and ended up with a message "battery low needs charging" or something like that. I drove around for days and could not figure it out. According to my voltage tester everything was fine and everything reset without any problem, but the message kept showing up. Until I realized (like Vigilance247 said in his post) that I accidentally pulled loose that tiny little wire which is attached to the terminal. It is easy to damage because things are very tight (as I am sure you experienced) . That little wire actually loops from the positive to the negative terminal and "reads" various things. If you don't see anything, look behind the battery on the right side as that tiny wire easily tucks in behind the battery and you would never know it. Good luck finding your problem, I know how it can eat at you....
    Steam likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1251 times
    Is it possible the battery was not 100% at the time of install and this was just warning to that effect?
    Frank
    2015 VY Stingray Coupe 1LT w/Black interior
    M7 NPP Nav PDR Transparent Roof Yellow Calipers

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
    Is it possible the battery was not 100% at the time of install and this was just warning to that effect?
    I was thinking that also. I checked the small wires ,everything tight nothing broken. The car starts fine. I'm going on a cruise in a few days and I'm busy with packing and other cruise things, so I'll have to wait till I come back to see what caused the code. I will renew OnStar and have them run a diagnostic and if the code is there ,to the dealer. On Star is running a special,if you renew thru your car,not online, you get the service for 9.99 for 6 months And they give you 2 months free. You can cancel anytime. In about ten days I will know what caused the code. Thank all of you who replied to my post. I will let you know what happnes .
    jsvette and Wayne's 1st Vette like this.

Sponsored Links