Secret Feature - Rear compartment bait well
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Secret Feature - Rear compartment bait well

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Secret Feature - Rear compartment bait well

Apparently, if you leave your C7 out in the rain, the "secret compartment" in the cargo area becomes a handy bait well. Yep, that's an inch+ of water. Anyone else have this issue?

Name:  IMG_8410.jpeg
Views: 159
Size:  1.20 MB

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10619 times
    Never had that issue (though we don't have a lot of rain) even after a high pressure wash. Suggest you check the weather stripping and make sure the drain holes at the top right and left of the trunk body (near the hinges ) aren't blocked.
    Boomer likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    975 times
    Was the cargo area soaked as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6094 times
    Nope, and Caroline has been in an absolute torrential downpour before.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    1258 times
    Wow not good. Good thing you noticed. What made you even think to look in the well?
    Boomer likes this.
    Frank
    2015 VY Stingray Coupe 1LT w/Black interior
    M7 NPP Nav PDR Transparent Roof Yellow Calipers

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    834 times
    Not that i have been in the rain with mine but I wash mine a lot and now I am afraid to look in there.... Took me about a year to even know I had a storage compartment back there . I put in a mat the first week I got the car and never thought to look around until someone on this site mentioned there were dealer delivery items back there. ..
    Boomer and Ateupjoe like this.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Mine has been in downpours and that area has never been wet. There's a leak somewhere.
    Ateupjoe likes this.
    Hidden Content
    2017 M7 Grand Sport Admiral Blue with Comp Seats, PDR

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10619 times
    As I mentioned earlier, first place I'd check (presuming there is no visible damage to the trunk gasket) is at the two drain holes, one in the upper left and one in the upper right of the body, in the channel, slightly below the hinges. If one or both are blocked, the water will quickly collect and overflow at the bottom of the channel and into the 'secret compartment.' Location of the left side drain hole indicated by red arrow:

Name:  JWDaum (1 of 2).JPG
Views: 127
Size:  2.04 MB

Name:  JWDaum (2 of 2).JPG
Views: 136
Size:  3.08 MB
    Last edited by jsvette; 05-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Boomer and Ateupjoe like this.
    aka Jeff
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    Its a 2016. Wonder if that was caused by "dirt" accumulation. Hasn't happened to my 2014 but I will check those drain holes. Photos!! Thanks Jeff.
    Last edited by Boomer; 05-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    jsvette likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    3124 times
    First, wow hate to see this.... and huge thanks to Jeff for those pics, I am going to check them out this weekend and make sure they are clean as I haven't washed R3B3L2 since the return trip from the race. She needs a bath badly.
    jsvette and Mack like this.
    Bryan
    1978 "Fastback Shark" - Shark grey was 50th BD gift to my bride.
    2015 Rebel 1 Stingray - Torch Red, Z51, 3LT, Manual, Custom Stinger, G3 splitter and skirts. Sold 3/31 at 20,800 smiles of miles. 20th anniversary gift.
    2017 Rebel 2 Grand Sport - Torch Red ext/Black int, 2LT, Manual, 22yr anniversary gift.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10619 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateupjoe View Post
    First, wow hate to see this.... and huge thanks to Jeff for those pics, I am going to check them out this weekend and make sure they are clean as I haven't washed R3B3L2 since the return trip from the race. She needs a bath badly.
    Most welcome! Actually the way I discovered the drains was following high pressure foam wash of RedHot. After drying her outside, I always open the doors, hood and trunk to wipe any water from the sills etc. When I open the trunk, even though there is no water in the interior of the trunk, there is frequently soap and water pooled by the drains in the channel, even though they are not blocked. I think a heavy rain/downpour or high pressure washing including the gaps around the trunk allows water to enter the channel. Ultimately if all is working properly, it will find its way out the drains.
    Mack and Ateupjoe like this.
    aka Jeff

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I've had 2 C7s and have not experienced that problem. I've used power wash and have left my Vette(s) out in pouring rain when I've had no other alternative. Perhaps you should check with your dealer to find the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dac15 View Post
    Apparently, if you leave your C7 out in the rain, the "secret compartment" in the cargo area becomes a handy bait well. Yep, that's an inch+ of water. Anyone else have this issue?

Name:  IMG_8410.jpeg
Views: 159
Size:  1.20 MB

Doug, Roswell, Georgia

2017 Grand Sport Collector Edition #325 convertible "Watkins Glen Gray /Tension Blue Interior/Fender Accent Stripes"
    Tension Blue (3LT) interior, black top, black wheels, Z-51.

Proud Lifetime Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsvette View Post
    Actually the way I discovered the drains was following high pressure foam wash of RedHot. .
    Jsv...I've been tempted to use a "brush less" wash on my Vette. A friend said "I don't use brush less because the way the clean is by upping the water pressure and will peel my Expel". Any thoughts?
    2016 C7, A8, 2LT Package, Mag Ride, PDR, Z51 Wheels, Exhaust. MSRP $72, 345. New addition 07/15/2017: Uniden R3 Radar Detector

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10619 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    Jsv...I've been tempted to use a "brush less" wash on my Vette. A friend said "I don't use brush less because the way the clean is by upping the water pressure and will peel my Expel". Any thoughts?
    tlippy, RedHot runs around in the 'nude' . that is she has never had Expel or any covering other than her CQuartzFinest when she was new. So I can't answer your question, perhaps another member will have related experience. RedHot has be through brush less car washes a few times (including just after I brought her cross country on her maiden drive from NCM) to ensure that any serious road debris and/or salt was thoroughly washed from her undercarriage. Other than that, she has been lovingly hand washed for her nearly 6 years of life.
    aka Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    UPDATE: The drain holes are clear, clean and open...and the driver's side drain hole appears to the problem. If I pour water into the channel near that hole, MOST of the water drains to the ground, but SOME of water ends up running down the rear wall of the secret compartment (I saw it happen with my own eyes). The angle at which the car is parked seems to have something to do with it. It only seems to happen if the car is parked with the front of the car lower than the rear. It does NOT happen when moving, and doesn't happen on level pavement. Crazy huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links