• 1 Post By TJAstingray

Thread: Front Rubber Air Dam - possible removal concern

Mileage
    18,200 right now
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Front Rubber Air Dam - possible removal concern

I removed my rubber air dam two years ago after a tear in it. I eventually remove it from the front of the car after it tore off and was beating under the car. Well it caused a SERIOUS ISSUE THAT I HAVE NOT READ ANYWHERE. My car is at my mechanic's (Justin Nelson) in NC stage 2 cam, A&A SC installed and then tuned by Jeremy at Fasterproms. When he pulled off the "beauty" manifold cover off the manifold he found a lot of sand in and around the manifold as well as other areas. Took quite a while to loosen and vac it out.

I bought my car new April of 2016. I am meticulous with my C7 and it has been constantly detailed, garaged, maintained and has 25k for mileage. I never took the manifold cover off so I missed it. So what we figured was with the rubber air dam being off the front of the car and not re-directing the air around the car, sand from the roads over two years collected on the manifold (any everywhere else) where it was being directed by the cover from the wind into the manifold. So if you removed your rubber front air dam I would highly recommend you pull off the manifold cover and inspect it. I ordered another complete rubber air dam replacement kit from GM (front and both sides) at a cost of $142. Hope this helps you guys.
    2016 C7 Stingray Lt1. Black w/custom graphics on sides. 7 speed, transparent roof, Borla ATAK axle backs. Corsa double helix x-pipe, new black forged wheels, Stage 2 Brian Tooley cam; Texas Speed long tube headers and an A & A supercharger. Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    972 times

Front Rubber Air Dam - ALERT

The Z51 doesn’t even come with the center air dam. That would mean every Z51 owner is at risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TNSQUIRE; 05-20-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Henry427 likes this.

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5615 times
    How long did you drive with the rubber dragging on the ground? That may have more to do with it than removing the piece. Or maybe you need to stop driving on the beach!
    jsvette likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    Thanks. I will check mine to be sure. Have a z51 so, what TNSQUIRE said applies to me.
    2016 Blade Silver Z51 Vert with PDR and gray top.

Senior Member SgtMajUSMC(Retired)'s Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    996 times
    Not sure the air dam has anything to do with it. I have all three pieces.

Took the plenum cover off when I installed a supercharger two years ago.

Cleaned the engine bay on Saturday and this is what the intake manifold looks like today.

Classifying this as a serious issue seems a bit of a leap to me.
    jsvette and Henry427 like this.
    Semper Fidelis,
    Matt

'15 Laguna Blue 2LT A8, ECS Novi 1500 SuperCharger, TSP Headers, Alky Control, RPI Stage II Side Skirts, Z06 OEM Splitter, Laguna Blue Brake Calipers.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I took off all the engine covers, hood cover, plastic air dams, etc... and am willing to sell any and all of them if anyone wants them?

Member #
    Liked
    280 times
    My 2014 had the rubber Air Dam but I took them off as I hated the way it looked and figured it wouldn't hurt anything but it isn't a daily driver and I only have 10.5k miles on her.

I have had the manifold covers off and I don't recall seeing any sand or other particles but it is probably based on where you live but in Michigan we don't have alot of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE View Post
    The Z51 doesn’t even come with the center air dam. That would mean every Z51 owner is at risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kgrant; 05-21-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Mileage
    18,200 right now
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I only drove it with the air dam under car dragging for a mile to my house. You really have to let a lot of air out of the tires for beach driving
    2016 C7 Stingray Lt1. Black w/custom graphics on sides. 7 speed, transparent roof, Borla ATAK axle backs. Corsa double helix x-pipe, new black forged wheels, Stage 2 Brian Tooley cam; Texas Speed long tube headers and an A & A supercharger. Hidden Content

Mileage
    18,200 right now
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Here in Florida without question we have a lot of sand on the roadways. My intent was just to advise everyone here what happened to my car after two years and to check yours out as a precaution. After I install the new air dam I will keep an eye on it and advise.
    ALCHMST likes this.

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TJAstingray View Post
    Here in Florida without question we have a lot of sand on the roadways. My intent was just to advise everyone here what happened to my car after two years and to check yours out as a precaution. After I install the new air dam I will keep an eye on it and advise.
    Doesn't hurt to get the info . Thanks for the info and hopefully it won't develop into a big deal for you or anyone else...
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I just replaced mine this past weekend after I tore 2 bolts out bottoming out in a steep driveway. It cost around $40 and I didn't want it to look bad hanging down. Now I'm really careful about bottoming out.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    If nothing else you give me a reason to pop off the Beauty cover and check it out and or vacuum it. Mine is starting to fail and I was thinking of removing it, I'll either remove it and keep an eye on the manifold or just put a new one on, thanks!

Sponsored Links