Going to Spring Mountain Stingray Performance course? Read this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Going to Spring Mountain Stingray Performance course? Read this.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times

Exclamation Going to Spring Mountain Stingray Performance course? Read this.

If you are scheduled to attend the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain Stingray Performance Driving course in the near future to about a year out, you should know that there is ongoing road construction work on route 160 (the only way you can get to Spring Mountain). I drove it yesterday, and the normal approximately one hour 10 or 15 minutes drive, was extended by 15 minutes. This was at 6:30 a.m. That isn't much of a delay, however, it can be as much as a half hour to 45 minutes added because there are several places that they have traffic stoppage for the ongoing construction. Additionally, about 15 miles of the route has only one lane (this starts about 20 miles out from Spring Mountain), so if you get behind a slow vehicle or construction vehicle, you can not pass.

Another related issue is that they are doing blasting on the same route, and that results in total stoppage during the blasts. Here is the DOT description:

CLARK COUNTY, NEV. — The Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) will begin blasting alongside State Route 160 (Blue Diamond Road), east of Mt. Potosi Road in southwest Clark County, starting September 24. Blasting is needed to remove fractured bedrock outcroppings for a $58.6 million, 6-mile-long highway widening from two to four travel lanes between Mile Markers 16 and 22, and from there extending to one mile north of the Nye County line. Aggregate Industries SWR Inc. is the general contractor.

Blasting will occur from roughly 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., every other workday, resulting in brief highway closures, ranging from 30 minutes up to 120 minutes, while crews place explosives, check the blast area and clear away any stray rubble and debris. The first round of blasting will continue through October 15.
    Construction is scheduled for completion in August 2020. Motorists should use caution while travelling through the work zone, heed construction signage, and take alternate detour routes, if possible. NDOT works with Waze to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, but unscheduled construction changes, closures and restrictions are possible due to weather or other factors. For the latest state highway conditions, visit nvroads.com or call 511 before driving.
    ------
    As always, along that route you can expect the presence of NV Highway Patrol.
    Last edited by jsvette; 05-23-2019 at 09:07 PM.
    Meister, elegant and Vigilance247 like this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Thanks for the information Jeff. I have been considering it for later this year. Good heads up.
    Vette 7: 2018 Z06 2LZ Coupe, M7, Torch Red exterior with Carbon Flash trim, Black interior, NPP Exhaust, Showstopper custom dress up pieces and billet fluid caps. Permagrin re-engaged!

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Thanks for the information Jeff. I have been considering it for later this year. Good heads up.
    Most welcome. Highly recommend doing it. For lots of feedback from fellow enthusiasts see https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...pressions.html.
    elegant likes this.
    aka Jeff
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19649 times
    Thank you Jeff. Great double cautions. I will be enthusiastically heading back to Spring Mountain within the next year for fun and for a super education.
    jsvette likes this.
    John

Fortunate owner of "WRP SPD," our Z06! [7M, stage 2+ coupe]. List of mods here:
    Hidden Content

Lifetime & Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum!

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elegant View Post
    Thank you Jeff. Great double cautions. I will be enthusiastically heading back to Spring Mountain within the next year for fun and for a super education.
    Ah, for one of the inaugural C8 classes no doubt . Hard as I looked by the way, I did not spot any C8 prototypes at Spring Mountain yesterday.
    aka Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    I'm considering the class, but have some doubts. Basically, I wonder what a normal, non-track driver (me) can get out of it. Also, I have no interest in endangering myself by pushing a Corvette to its limits on a racetrack, surrounded by others doing the same thing. If the course content is safer, more complete knowledge of driving the cars, that's good; race driving, I have no interest in. Even with the new Corvette discount, it's still a money and time commitment that I'm on the fence about. Any thoughts?
    Current: 2019 Coupe, Z06, 3LZ, Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet Black.
    Former: 2015 Coupe, LT1, Z51 3LT, Laguna Blue, Jet Black.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by German View Post
    I'm considering the class, but have some doubts. Basically, I wonder what a normal, non-track driver (me) can get out of it. Also, I have no interest in endangering myself by pushing a Corvette to its limits on a racetrack, surrounded by others doing the same thing. If the course content is safer, more complete knowledge of driving the cars, that's good; race driving, I have no interest in. Even with the new Corvette discount, it's still a money and time commitment that I'm on the fence about. Any thoughts?
    In three words: Highly recommend it.
    This is my personal opinion based on my taking the course (though you can read what many other members have similarly said). You will almost certainly learn new and to refine existing skills to enable you to drive safer, more knowledgeably and with more confidence in any vehicle based on what you will learn in the course. Absolutely worth the time and reduced cost. You should not find yourself endangering you or anyone else. The highly competent instructors very efficiently (and quietly) put you into a group of similarly skilled participants (and change this as your skills change).
    German, if you would like to talk about this in greater detail, don't hesitate to give me a call.
    bbrun, German and FlyFisher1 like this.
    aka Jeff

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    Quote Originally Posted by German View Post
    You will absolutely learn more than you can believe about your own capabilities and the car. It is a very safe environment. This course is not designed to make you a race car driver but it will make you a better, safer driver. Highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    jsvette, bbrun, German and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    My post will be unpopular, but save your money German!

If you've got $1k to burn, it's a fun couple of days during the track time (which it sounds like you're not interested in anyway) and that was really the only thing of value I got out of the class.

You can find out as much or more about the car's features, menus, and operation by reading the manual.

Braking? You step on the brakes hard and let the antilock do its job. No need to practice that.

Driving in the wet, spoiler alert: You can spin out easily when giving the car full throttle without weather mode engaged.

Launch mode: watch the YouTube videos. You won't get to try it yourself in the class, only watch the instructor do it.

I'm not trying to rip on the class, as it is a fun experience and has some value. If you're not into racing, it's pointless though...and if you are into racing, I think the money could be better spent on a class where the instructor is in the passenger seat next to you.
    German and rdslon01 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1128 times
    I appreciate all of the comments, thanks guys. I'm familiar enough with the car's functions and the new Z06 won't be different from my Stingray in that respect. The difference is obviously in the performance capability. Lots to consider, but at least I have a year to decide once the new car comes in (another week or two).
    Current: 2019 Coupe, Z06, 3LZ, Elkhart Lake Blue, Jet Black.
    Former: 2015 Coupe, LT1, Z51 3LT, Laguna Blue, Jet Black.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6073 times
    Quote Originally Posted by STINGmole View Post
    My post will be unpopular, but save your money German!

If you've got $1k to burn, it's a fun couple of days during the track time (which it sounds like you're not interested in anyway) and that was really the only thing of value I got out of the class.

You can find out as much or more about the car's features, menus, and operation by reading the manual.

Braking? You step on the brakes hard and let the antilock do its job. No need to practice that.

Driving in the wet, spoiler alert: You can spin out easily when giving the car full throttle without weather mode engaged.

Launch mode: watch the YouTube videos. You won't get to try it yourself in the class, only watch the instructor do it.

I'm not trying to rip on the class, as it is a fun experience and has some value. If you're not into racing, it's pointless though...and if you are into racing, I think the money could be better spent on a class where the instructor is in the passenger seat next to you.
    Let me give a little bit of a backstory.

I love rock climbing. Wanting to take myself to a higher level, I enrolled in three sequential courses (basic, intermediate, and advanced) at Stanford University (yeah, that ONE near Palo Alto) back when I was working for Sun Microsystems in Menlo Park, CA. I never missed a single session/class for either of those three courses over the entire approximately eight month duration. Also, I enjoyed it immensely.

What was the practical result?

I became a worse climber when finished than I was the day I started. I over-analyzed routes. I became indecisive. Sure, I knew a lot more theory, but in a practical sense, I ended up struggling on routes that I could have easily climbed with gut instincts before taking the course.

Sure, I had a blast. I met a lot of great people. However, as crazy as it sounds, it hurt my ability to climb.

When I first heard of the Spring Mountain course, my experiences studying rock climbing at Stanford immediately came to mind. Whether this is the correct decision or not, I do not know. However, I will never go to Spring Mountain.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Let's please return this thread to the primary post, https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...tml#post963302, focus of road construction issues impacting the drive to Spring Mountain. Thank you.
    elegant and noxqq like this.
    aka Jeff

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The highway is 160, not 190

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DRB_Reno View Post
    The highway is 160, not 190
    Thank you for catching that. It was a typo in the first sentence and correct in the later mention of the post.
    aka Jeff

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    If you're coming from So Cal don't be afraid to get off I-15 in Baker and go on the 2 lane roads. They are great and the scenery is good too. Best $1000 I ever spent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links