Fuel door locked
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Fuel door locked

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

Fuel door locked

Here is a new one. Especially on me. I was on a trip from Kentucky to New York. Car performing perfectly. Stopped in Ashland, Ohio for a fill-up. The Fuel door was locked and would not release even after following the owners manual instructions. Its not the first time I filled the tank so I should know by now how to do it. After a call to my hometown dealer with no help I asked if there was a local Chevy dealer. There was and off I went. The people were very helpful and after a few minutes the tech had removed 1 screw and unplugged the locking solenoid and opened the flap. Now it won't lock but is accessible. Anyone else have this problem? I will see if my local dealer will cover the replacement of the bad solenoid under my extended warranty.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    968 times
    This has been a common problem for years. Some have just disconnected the solenoid and others like myself put a plastic scrivet in the door opening where the plunger goes. Can’t lock it but I’ll never get locked out either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6065 times
    It is a common problem. There are threads here on the forum on this topic.

Everyone will face this at some point, unless they somehow defeat the latching mechanism, or trade the car off before that solenoid fails. It isn't a question of "if"; it is a question of, "will I do something about it, OR get rid of the car before it happens?"
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10541 times
    As noted, this has been discussed in many threads in the past, for example https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...-door-fix.html, but I don't think there is a level of incidence documented to justify the statement that everyone will face this at some point.
    Racer_X and tlippy like this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Well I am again amazed at the knowledge of the members on this forum. After reading the replies I feel better about this locking problem. I really don't need a lock on it ..I haven't had a fuel problem in my entire driving career. (almost 60 years). When I get a few minutes, I will install a plug in the opening for the lock pin. Better safe than sorry. Thanks to all the replies.

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    Yep, never had the problem with my 2014 Z51 in 3 1/2 years so never used the simple remedy Shown below.

However one of the first times I filled the Grand Sport I had to press the open door button several times before the door unlocked.

So I scrounged through my "staff of stuff I might need some day" and found a Scrivet that filled the hole the locking solenoid pin slips into! Now no worries accept for someone dumping "sugar in my gas tank!"

Name:  fueldoorplug_99b7bf15fab74f6534470586d6727f5ca51ea75a.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  46.8 KBName:  ii_1_14077_5.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  13.5 KBName:  Hole.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  46.6 KB
    Mack and warp ten like this.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Excellent!

Member #
    Liked
    911 times
    Just in case, I installed a 1/4" scrivet the other day to forestall the locking problem. Never had a problem, but I don't want to and now I won't. I stopped in an auto parts store and got a two pack for a couple of bucks. --Bob
    Jerry U likes this.
    2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPZOH 6"
    --Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels, body color vents and side skirts
    1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
    1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
    1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
    ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
    Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
    NCM Lifetime Member
    Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
    "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Just installed the Push Plug to my 2017 Vette Filler Door! A "Peace of Mind" mod for pennies! Lowe's had a Two Pack for $.83. Money well spent IMHO

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Just installed the Push Plug to my 2017 Vette Filler Door! A "Peace of Mind" mod for pennies! Lowe's had a Two Pack for $.83. Money well spent IMHO
    Do you remember what size or code for those push plugs?

Member #
    Liked
    462 times
    How secure are the scrivets? I'm not sure what I fear more...my gas cap not opening, or a scrivet somehow ending up in my gas tank

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    Sorry! I discarded the package without looking! Lowe's has a assortment of sizes! Looked through the plastic wrap, I chose two different size stems and actually used the larger of the two. Auto Zone, NAPA, Advanced Auto and the likes have a large array of the Push Plugs.
    Hope this helps!

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by STINGmole View Post
    How secure are the scrivets? I'm not sure what I fear more...my gas cap not opening, or a scrivet somehow ending up in my gas tank
    If it makes you feel better, I saw a simple solution that requires no measuring! Poster just used a round head bolt and nut! If your paranoid use a Nylon locking nut or Loctite!

BTW my Scrivet will never come loss! It screws into it's base- see pic right in post #6.

PS: Giving more thought to the “concern” about a Scrivet falling off and getting past the tank pipe flapper (an unlikely possibility) there is nothing to be harmed! The fuel pump has a large, fine mesh filter on it’s inlet! You don’t want to know about the “stuff” that some gas station tanks have in them!

Now some vandal could push a rock down your gas intake- but that would do no harm to the system. On the other had sugar would! Second thought, if you’re that paranoid, Don’t Do It.

Name:  _dsc7461.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  38.3 KB
    Last edited by Jerry U; 07-01-2019 at 02:47 AM.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by STINGmole View Post
    The only way to remove the push pin, I used, would be to cut the head off and push the remainder of the pin through the hole! There is no way the push pin could end up in your tank!

Member #
    Liked
    911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    I measured the leftover one with a caliper at 5/16ths". And it was a scrivet, not a real push plug. Scrivet has a plastic screw with a Phillips head; mine was like the one to the right in JerryU's post above. You push it into the hole and then tighten it. --Bob
    Last edited by warp ten; 06-29-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    2016 Z06 Long Beach Red #10281 "POPZOH 6"
    --Kalahari, 2LZ, Auto, chrome wheels, body color vents and side skirts
    1995 ZR-1 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN" --Haibeck 350/510hp package, Sold but still running strong
    1993 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING" --Sold but still running strong
    1967 Corvette Coupe --Marlboro Maroon/Saddle 300 HP 4 Speed, Sold in 1977
    ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
    Member of Original ZR-1 Registry
    NCM Lifetime Member
    Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
    "Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links