• 1 Post By meyerweb
  • 2 Post By Jerry U
  • 2 Post By mneadle

Thread: Z06 Newbie Dumb (exhaust) Question #1

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Z06 Newbie Dumb (exhaust) Question #1

Do the middle 2 exhaust pipes "work" or just for show? I am constantly shining the 2 outside ones, and they are hot when engine running but nada for center 2.

I can NOT believe they are just for show. maybe used @ certain RPM, speed, etc. ???
    2015 Z06 w/ Z07 Perf. Pkg.

Hidden Content

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    Used primarily when your driving in performance mode or track. Closed when in tour or, (dare i say) economy mode.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    1KUIKC7 and TopFuelClutch like this.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 15snow-ray View Post
    Used primarily when your driving in performance mode or track. Closed when in tour or, (dare i say) economy mode.

Thanks - yeah "economy mode" is like a chocolate cake at Weight Watchers meeting!

I drive almost exclusively in SPORT mode and in one sense glad the center ones don't turn black (wish outside wouldn't) but just seems odd....

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6071 times
    Actually, the description above is not what is really going on.

The valves are on the outside two.

The inside two are always open, but with higher air flow resistance at all times.

A good description is in the following post. Actually, reading the whole thread could be beneficial.

https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...tml#post364913
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post

The inside two are always open, but with higher air flow resistance at all times.

A good description is in the following post. Actually, reading the whole thread could be beneficial.

Super appreciate it - will read it right now!!!

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post

I Agree. In essence when the butterflies on the outer pipes open you're essentially bypassing the muffler. The center pipes always flow through the muffler, baffles and whatever is inside!

I have my NPP set for "Always Track" regardless of drive mode. The butterflies open at ~ 1700 rpm. In Touring Mode, from my observation, it's about 2500 rpm and in Sport about mid way between.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Great read - and better yet I saw the link to the thread about "what are you guys using to clean" them. SO much information I am grateful for this forum !
    jsvette, Racer_X and Ateupjoe like this.

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    1220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mneadle View Post
    Great read - and better yet I saw the link to the thread about "what are you guys using to clean" them. SO much information I am grateful for this forum !
    By now, there is probably a thread for almost every question you could have. Great to have you with us.
    2015 blade silver Z51 3LT A8 Stingray, jet black interior, competition seats, Z51 style chrome rims. Suntek clear bra, carbon flash metallic custom stinger stripe, side mirrors and rear spoiler.
    1986 two-tone silver over grey C4 survivor coupe with slate blue interior and only 47k miles.

Mileage
    W&C I & II
    Member #
    Liked
    5615 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 15snow-ray View Post

Actually that's backwards. The outer pipes are used when the exhaust valves are open. When they're closed (as in Stealth mode), all gasses flow through the inner two pipes only.
    15snow-ray likes this.
    Hidden Content
    "SunKissed", my 2015 2LT, 7MT, Black over Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Stingray convertible
    (One of about 40). >31,000+ miles. Purchased 5/2/2015

Member of the Old Dominion Corvette Club. Check us out: Hidden Content

My Stingray photos: Hidden Content

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    Sorry. I had it backwards . But i think you got the idea.

2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I had a 2017 base C7 and would get black deposits all the time. Now have a 2018 Grand Sport and have put over 500 miles on it with no discoloration at all. Wonder if the fuel tuning changed.

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Funvette View Post
    I had a 2017 base C7 and would get black deposits all the time. Now have a 2018 Grand Sport and have put over 500 miles on it with no discoloration at all. Wonder if the fuel tuning changed.
    Hmm, my Grand Sport is the same as my September 2013 built Z51! Outer Pipes black in a few drives. Easy to clean with a rag I have on a shelf built between garage doors than also holds waterless cleaner I use for the rear in general! Need a different rag, the NPP gets very dirty!
    Name:  Clean Rear.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  2.04 MB
    Last edited by Jerry U; 06-07-2019 at 06:46 AM.
    Ateupjoe and Henry427 like this.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mneadle View Post
    Thanks - yeah "economy mode" is like a chocolate cake at Weight Watchers meeting!

I drive almost exclusively in SPORT mode and in one sense glad the center ones don't turn black (wish outside wouldn't) but just seems odd....

Economy mode is AWESOME when you have the cruise control on for hours at a time on the freeway. 36 miles per gallon, why not?

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    So, I bought BOTH products mentioned on the other thread and they are both really good!

1. Eagle One - NEVER DULL - the wadding polish works very good. You pull some of the chemical infused "wadding" (cotton like material) and wipe away. When done a cloth will shine it nicely. Gets off the residue and has it looking very good - drastic improvement!

2. Borla - Exhaust cleaner & polish - applied with fine bronze wool and rub in and then polish with a clean cloth - shines like a mirror!

I actually like using them in this order. The improvement from dealer (supposedly "detailed") to now is night and day.

Name:  exhaust1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  9.6 KB
    (before)

Name:  pipes.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.55 MB
    (after)
    Henry427 and Ateupjoe like this.

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    Wenol, or Semichrome, or never dull, or almost any other metal polish...

Sponsored Links