Why no BDS Detection Mirrors? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Why no BDS Detection Mirrors?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    There is good product for the C7 mirror on the Sandyeggo Designs website.

Member #
    I would bet your side view mirror is set so it just duplicates your rear view. Most people adjust it so it shows the side of the car which makes it useless. Adjust it out so the right edge of the rear view slightly overlaps with the left edge of the side view and there will be no more “blind spot.” Turning your head around is not necessary or a good idea when you are going forward.

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    I spoke to a local company that I have used in the past to add LIDAR to an M3 I had and they said they could add blind spot detection to my C7 for around $800 however it would involve taking the rear bumper cover off. The blind spot light would have been installed in the A pillars in a spot of my choosing. It was also small and dark when not active but bright when a car was in your blind spot.

I agree that it should have been an option for the C7 as well as cross traffic alert. Hopefully the C8 will have these options. Also hopefully the C8 will not be as ugly as the renderings.
    zigfire66 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    This is standard safety equipment on almost every chevy car except the corvette. When I asked at Ron Fellows they said it detracted from the drive. I laughed at the instructor. So having a safety feature detracts from the driving experience. Why can't chevy admit it that it was an oversight and a huge one at that. I have people riding in my blind spots because they're busy looking at the car. People today don't have the driving abilities because they're distracted with everything else in the car the phone, kids, women and their makeup....basically this is something that should be put on the C8 because looking at the spy photos the blind spots have gotten worse. I'm looking for fish eyes that I can add to my mirrors. Suggestions and I looked at sandyeggodesigns and that changes the entire mirror...not what I'm looking for.
    Jeremy Z

2017 Z 51 2LT Admiral Blue Corvette/Gray interior
    8-speed paddle shift auto, PDR w/nav, Z 51 performance package, chrome wheels, magnetic selective ride control and battery protection package.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought a rear view mirror camera. It is also a front mirror dashcam. As you can see from my side mirror I can barely see the blue car. But my rear view camera mirror the blue car is shown on my blind spot. Also this records everything both front camera and rear camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pazetronics View Post
    I bought a rear view mirror camera. It is also a front mirror dashcam. As you can see from my side mirror I can barely see the blue car. But my rear view camera mirror the blue car is shown on my blind spot. Also this records everything both front camera and rear camera.
    Looks like a viable system. However, if that right side mirror view in your post is what you see from the driver seat, the mirror is set too close in to the side of the C7 to effectively eliminate your blind spot.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    I appreciate all the positive comments and suggestions. Yet it comes back to the need for constant attention to positioning relative to other vehicles, constant situational awareness and scanning all mirrors constantly. Now these are all good driving habits but in high traffic metropolitan areas and with constant distracted drivers cutting you off, it can be exhausting! A simpler fix would be BSD if only as a driver’s aid and safety device. I certainly hope the new C8 with even less visibility comes with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    Well stated Jerry U !
    Thanks. Drove 5 hours yesterday using I 95 and 26 to go to and back from Charleston SC in the wife's BMW 5X SUV. Decided to see if my concerns re "Blind Sport Detection" not being as good as a convex mirror. The 5X has great visibility out the rear and you can see cars from well back. There is a large orange light "on the side of the mirror" when it detects a car close to your rear bumpers. But in the side mirror "properly adjusted" cannot see them very far back. The Blind Spot Detection pics a car up ~50 feet from the rear fenders. The right mirror is much better.

Had an interesting occurrence on I26, one of the worse highways to drive as there are many trucks, some driving fast to get their "container" to the Charleston Port. It was Sunday so few trucks. Soon after getting on I26 from I95 in a 70 mph limit section I had little traffic in front and a "pack" coming up the rear. There was a Trooper in the center area hidden mostly by trees. Saw his white front fender sticking out. The inexpensive radar detector I had stuck on the windshield made a loud unusual sound and saw the laser flashing. No issue for me I had cruise control set at 76 mph. After I passed he pulled out in front of the "pack" behind. The gap between us got large, he must have been traveling 70!

I saw the gap getting larger then all of a sudden a few cars were getting closer. Trooper no doubt went back in the center treed area divider to "get a speeder!" One car was barreling up behind. Could see him in my center mirror but when he passed, IMO well over 90 mph, as I was still on cruise control at 76, the "Blind Spot Detector" barley went off and he passed my window in a flash! Still think the best solution is the convex s a left side mirror that they use in Europe
    (in addition to electronic solutions!)
    It's only the US laws, which congress has tried to change for years, that prevent it. But like everything else they do nothing or it gets put in with some totally unrelated "Pork Barrel" bridge to nowhere law and gets turned down!

Now with the capability for cameras and computers, no reason they could not detect further back AND calculate the approaching speed. Then display signals in HUD which change colors as cars get closer. If they detect a car closing very fast a simple signal across HUD saying "AH on Left" would also be nice!

I'll keep doing my best to know where all cars are around me all the time!
    Last edited by Jerry U; 07-08-2019 at 05:38 AM.
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Without the rear camera that blue car is not be visible with OEM rear view mirror.
    See for yourself do you see a blue car?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jerry U likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    This is a possible solution. An inexpensive stick on mirror that has a 'somewhat convex" mirror with a more convex on the ouuter edge. Have to see some posts on effectiveness.

Name:  onvex Mirror.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  176.7 KB
    Hidden Content 2017 Grand Sport, M7, Stage 2 Aero, Machined Faced Wheels, 2.5 LT Red Interior with Red Seat Belts
    C7 Carbon Rear Diffuser

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I am very interested to see what folks think of this mirror from sandyagodesign. As I posted earlier, if it really works, it's an inexpensive fix....

Moderated: PLEASE NOTE, they are not a forum sponsor, you are not permitted to include url address as noted earlier. Thank you for complying with our posting rules.
    Last edited by jsvette; 07-08-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhoehl View Post
    I am very interested to see what folks think of this mirror from sandyagodesign. As I posted earlier, if it really works, it's an inexpensive fix....

Moderated: PLEASE NOTE, they are not a forum sponsor, you are not permitted to include url address as noted earlier. Thank you for complying with our posting rules.
    I purchased one recently and it does work well. It is only for the drivers side however. They need to make one for the passenger side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links