Driver's door not opening electronically

Thread: Driver's door not opening electronically

Member #
    Liked
    52 times

Driver's door not opening electronically

Looking for some suggestions:

In the last few days my car has started to not open (driver's door only) by the electric sensor door button. I hear the mechanism release and the window opens slightly but the latch does not seem to fully release the latch, it's like it only partially releases. I can open the rear hatch with the FOB and pull the cable to open the door, of course.

It is even doing the same thing from inside of the car after I've driven it around and stop and shut it down....so, I'm forced to use the interior release lever to open the door??

Now here's the really odd part; if I "Auto-Start" the car with the FOB the door release button works normally, pretty much every time I try it..... and I've done it dozens of times trying to figure the problem out??

Initially I thought it was my FOB battery getting weak, so I changed it, no help. Then I thought maybe it was the car's battery, which is a replacement Interstate battery the selling dealer installed when I bought the car about 15 months ago. So, I went to Batteries + Bulbs and had them test it and he told me that even though it was rated at 615 CCA it was reading nearly 800 on his testing device and seemed to be in excellent working condition.

Then I removed the actual release button in the door handle opening (which is pretty easy to take off, 3 screws) disconnected the wire connector and cleaned it put it back together....no help. Next I lubricated the latch...no help!

Like I said it is isolated to the driver's door only and oddly it is somewhat sporadic, generally it does exactly as I describe, then out of the blue it works fine...once, then back to not releasing the next 20 attempts....unless I "Auto-Start" and then it opens fine??

The local Chevrolet dealership doesn't have an opening until late next next week so I thought I'd try a few fixes on my own first, any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, appreciate your responses!

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    19k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10541 times
    Wow, what a head scratcher! My initial thoughts were the batteries (car and fob), but you have eliminated them as the culprit. Do to its intermittent occurrence, I am leaning to a loose connection/short.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I should add that it is a 2014 Z51 with about 34K miles and it sits in the garage most of the time with a CTEK trickle charger connected.
    Thinking out loud: I wonder if the entry level Interstate battery the dealer installed has the proper amps to operate the accessories when the vehicle is not running??

Sponsored Links