C7 Z51, Manual, Broken eLSD at 24k mi
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rdslon01

Thread: C7 Z51, Manual, Broken eLSD at 24k mi

Member #

C7 Z51, Manual, Broken eLSD at 24k mi

So my car, which I bought new in late 2013, just had service light come on that seat "Rear Axle System off" during normal operation. The car seemed to drive fine with no noticeable change in spirited driving or in tight corners. There was no whining, clunking, wheel slip, or any other indication there was a problem. So I took it to the dealer anyway and when I got it back their paperwork read,

"Found code C0413, inspected and found a lot of metal in the rear differential. Recommend replacing rear differential assembly. $4106.12".

After talking with the service representative, they said the part was backordered, so we had them put some new oil in and we drove it off. The "Rear Axle System Off" warning comes on about half the time, usually after the car has been sitting for a few hours or overnight. It still drives perfectly fine though. Seems crazy to spend over $4k to fix something that has no real symptoms. They said the part alone was about $2700. I asked for a price breakdown with the part numbers to see if I could find a used part instead.

I asked them to print the service history, and sure enough in late 2013 it looks like they checked the differential fluid level, found it low, and filled it up. The car was only a few months old at that point and had about 4000 miles on it. Since we never had any issues, we didn't think anything of it.

What do you guys think I should do? Replace it, leave it, find a used part? What is the failure mode if it doesn't get fixed?

Thanks for your help

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    Im assuming that is not covered under the drive train warranty?
    Wow big ticket repair for sure.
    If you're out of warranty i would check around for a good independent Corvette shop for a quote.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Member #
    I assume there's no more drive train warranty. The car was bought in September of 2013, so more than 5 years ago. I don't know of any extensions for this part.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6071 times
    In and of itself, a service technician writing that he "found a lot of metal in the rear differential" wouldn't mean anything to me.

I found a "lot" of metal in my rear differential fluid when I changed it at 4,726 miles. What is a "lot"? It is whatever I define it to be. It is whatever you define it to be. It is whatever the service technician defines it to be. In my opinion, such a statement is meaningless.

Of course, it is your car, and you should do whatever you wish. If it were my car, I would change the rear differential fluid myself. These links could be helpful if you decide to do that:
    https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...-diff-oil.html
    https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ial-fluid.html

Next, I would try to find out why the "Rear Axle System off" light came on. Is it really the rear differential? Is it just a battery problem (that has been reported as causing such a message to other people). Is it something else?

If I were you, I would take it one step at a time, as above. Of course, you are not me, so you need to do what makes you feel comfortable.
    warp ten and peli like this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Welcome to the C7 world. I have a friend that had his replaced under warranty, and I lost mine on the racetrack. The regional rep in cahoots with the dealer denied the repair as I was on the track. I showed them the manual where it tells me how to prepare my car FOR THE TRACK. I showed them that the Z51 is the TRACK PACKAGE! I proved to them that this wasn't competitive racing. Still no go. So I sent an email to three VPs in Detroit, and eventually after me paying for the repair and four months of hassle, the dealer was forced to write me a check for the repair, with was about $5,500.
    I bought an extended warranty BTW just before the original one expired. I think it's 7 years and $80,000 miles. Initially a dealer wanted $3,000, but I talked him down by playing the field to $1700.
    2011 Kawasaki Concours (2.5 seconds 0-60, 10.3 seconds quarter mile.)
    2003 Honda Goldwing with Bushtec trailer
    2015 C7 Coupe- Z51, CRT, LT3, M7, MSRC, Grey perforated leather interior, silver painted wheels

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Go back to your dealer and have them update the calibrations for the rear drive module, I have seen many with this intermittent concern. You need to find a dealer with a Corvette certified tech if they can't prove they are then go somewhere else. I am one. While they have the GDS system connected, go ahead and update all the modules the new calibrations greatly improves vehicle overall operation, what dtc was stored?

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6071 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VAVETTEMASTER View Post
    Go back to your dealer and have them update the calibrations for the rear drive module, I have seen many with this intermittent concern. You need to find a dealer with a Corvette certified tech if they can't prove they are then go somewhere else. I am one. While they have the GDS system connected, go ahead and update all the modules the new calibrations greatly improves vehicle overall operation, what dtc was stored?
    Are you at Holiday Chevrolet Cadillac? One of these days, I will probably need a good dealership to go to, and it is too far to go back to Fremont Chevrolet in California where I used to get excellent service before I moved to North Carolina.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    sorry to hear about your troubles with the e-diff. The stories of GM backing out of their warranty seem to be far too common in an increasingly complex automotive world. Its a shame they automatically seem to deny anything and everything powertrain related. If it drives fine and has fresh fluid, I would just drive it if there does not seem to be any other adverse effects.

Question: how old is your battery? Reason I ask, I have a buddy with a '16 Z06 with a ton of mods...he kept getting a 'service rear axle' warning but it seemed to come on intermittently, with no noticeable performance difference. The shop he took his car to for all the performance mods couldnt replicate the issues, as the diff seemed to be working well. Turns out his battery was old and the ground/power cables were loose, which was causing (I think) voltage irregularities which the E-diff didnt seem to like too much.

in anycase, hopefully everything works out for you. check your battery cables!
    2014 Laguna Blue Z51 Premier Edition #241...Sold
    2016 Laguna Blue Z06/Z07 M7 3LZ...gone Hidden Content
    2017 Arctic White Z06/Z07 M7 MGW Shifter, LG Supercool Radiator, Weapon-X Track Attack Heat Exchanger, Weapon-X Expansion Tank, Halltech Stinger CAI, Kooks 2" long tubes/Xpipe, Nick Williams 103MM TB
    Coming Soon: Frankenstein ED Heads/Cam, Ported Blower

Sponsored Links