Like Tree93Likes

Thread: DIY Lowering on Stock Bolts - Instructions and Photos

Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    [emoji106]🏾
    LOK

NCM Member

KeeVette: 2018 Black with Black/Adrenaline Red 2LT Z51 A8 Coupe, Transparent Roof, GT seats, Performance data recorder, Magnetic selective ride control, Performance exhaust, Electronic limited slip rear differential, Red painted brake calibers, Z51-style 5-split spoke, Satin Black-painted with Red stripe aluminum wheels. Ordered on 08/18/2017. Estimated Production date 11/26/2017.

Member #
    I jacked my driver front up, removed the tire, got to the bolt, and it would not budge. I can tell it is not all the way down. Anyone else have an issue in getting the bolt started?

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    I jacked my driver front up, removed the tire, got to the bolt, and it would not budge. I can tell it is not all the way down. Anyone else have an issue in getting the bolt started?
    You have to take the pressure off the leaf spring. Put a jack stand under the leaf and lower the car onto it. That should allow you to turn the bolt. Remember to turn it counterclockwise to lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jsvette likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE View Post
    You have to take the pressure off the leaf spring. Put a jack stand under the leaf and lower the car onto it. That should allow you to turn the bolt. Remember to turn it counterclockwise to lower.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I did use another jack to put tension on the leaf spring, but just a little. I used the jack to lift the car just a little on the leaf, and off of the jack point. Should I lower the car completely onto the jack that is supporting the leaf spring?

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Sorry, forgot to mention, I did use another jack to put tension on the leaf spring, but just a little. I used the jack to lift the car just a little on the leaf, and off of the jack point. Should I lower the car completely onto the jack that is supporting the leaf spring?
    That what I did. The jack stand was basically supporting the full weight on that corner. I didn’t even remove the tires to access the bolt.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE View Post
    That what I did. The jack stand was basically supporting the full weight on that corner. I didn’t even remove the tires to access the bolt.

So, you placed the jack underneath the leaf springs, and raised the car that way? Did you raise each corner off the ground, or just a little to put tension on the leaf spring?

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    So, you placed the jack underneath the leaf springs, and raised the car that way? Did you raise each corner off the ground, or just a little to put tension on the leaf spring?
    I raised the whole car using a Quick Jack. Put one jack stand under the leaf on each side in the front and lowered the car so it's resting on the Jack stands. Did those two wheels and then repeat for the rear wheels.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Thank you all for these details. I lowered mine tonight primarily because I wanted a little bit more room at the roof when raised to the top of the lift.

I am really appreciative of the advice to drive it afterward. I was concerned I was doing something wrong when I took the back down and it was higher than when I started. Drove it about a mile but mostly in a parking lot with lots of speed bumps. Went over the speed bumps at lots of angles and a few trips around a small traffic circle and things settled down nicely.

Before I did any measurements or made any changes I set the tire pressure to 30psi in each tire. I marked my measuring spot with a piece of blue painters tape so all measurement were done at the same place on each corner. I did four turns on each bolt and decreased the ht by 3/8 of an inch. I marked each bolt with a red sharpie so I could count the revolutions. Which is much more than the 1mm/turn some have noted. I stopped at four turns because the rear bolts only had 4.5 turns in them from the factory. Also, if I slammed it to much I would get high centered when parking on the lift.
    Last edited by ALCHMST; 08-23-2019 at 09:27 PM.
    2016 Blade Silver Z51 Vert with PDR and gray top.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Sponsored Links