DIY Lowering on Stock Bolts - Instructions and Photos

FRONT

REAR

FINAL RESULT

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    how much did you lower your car? 1/2 inch, 3/4 or 1 inch?
    Thanks Steve Hidden Content
    Ordered from MacMulkin on 1-27-2014, Shipped/En Route 3-6-2014, arrived in Mira Loma 3-20-2014, on its way to my local dealer. Arrived 3-27-2014 Hidden Content
    2014 C7 Velocity Yellow, 3LT, Z51, Auto, CF dash kit, Carbon flash painted mirrors, tail and hood stinger,Black rims, Red Calipers, MRC, NPP, VIN # 1G1YM2D7XE5117615

Mileage
    Just north of 30k
    Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    A couple more tricks.
    Use a 10 mm line wrench to significantly reduce the chance of rounding off the hex at the top of the bolt.
    I marked mine so I could count the number of full revolutions.
    One full revolution equals very close to 1/8" change in height.

Edit: Per GM 1 1/2" turns (540 degrees), results in an 1/8" adjustment, with counterclockwise for lowering, clockwise for raising.
    Last edited by elegant; 05-28-2015 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added revised GM info.

'14 Stingray - Z51, 7 speed, Mag Ride, Clear roof, Chrome wheels, Perf exhaust, Laguna Blue, 3LT Black Int
    - Adopted 1/2/2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smajicek View Post
    how much did you lower your car? 1/2 inch, 3/4 or 1 inch?
    1/4", which wasn't a lot because my bolts were already at a fairly low level. Some have seen much greater lowering because of where there factory bolts were set initially.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Are there any reports/documentation on if this affecting handling/performance at all? I love the looks, but I'm curious if GM had left them at a stock height for a reason.

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6095 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joshg View Post
    Are there any reports/documentation on if this affecting handling/performance at all? I love the looks, but I'm curious if GM had left them at a stock height for a reason.
    From what I have heard, there is no specification for the height when they come out of the factory: their initial heights all all over the place from one car to the next.

Does anyone have information which contradicts this?
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    From what I have heard, there is no specification for the height when they come out of the factory: their initial heights all all over the place from one car to the next.

Does anyone have information which contradicts this?
    You are correct. They are adjustable intentionally, and particularly for track purposes. You are still within factory specs when you adjust these.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
    NYR and kgrant like this.
    Hidden Content
    Current Corvettes: C7 2017 Grand Sport Coupe, C5 2003 50th Anniversary Vert, C4 1991 Bright Red ZR-1, C2 1963 L88 Grand Sport Roadster

Previous Corvettes: C7 2015 Night Race Blue Coupe, C7 2014 Velocity Yellow Coupe, C6 2013 Night Race Blue GS Vert, C6 2012 Blade Silver Coupe, C5 2004 Lemans Blue Vert, C5 2003 Black Z06, C5 1999 Navy Blue Metallic Vert, C5 1999 Magnetic Red-II, C5 1998 Light Pewter Metallic Coupe, C4 1994 Competition Yellow Vert, C4 1989 Charcoal Metallic Vert, C3 1980 Silver Coupe, C3 1973 Dark Blue Metallic Coupe, C2 1964 Daytona Blue Metallic Coupe, C1 1962 Roman Red Roadster

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamajajaran View Post
    You are correct. They are adjustable intentionally, and particularly for track purposes. You are still within factory specs when you adjust these.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
    The good question is why are they all over the place from GM? I would think they would be all adjusted exactly just like every motor is 6.2 and not 6.1 or 6.3
    kgrant likes this.
    Ordered from MacMulkin on 1-27-2014, Shipped/En Route 3-6-2014, arrived in Mira Loma 3-20-2014, on its way to my local dealer. Arrived 3-27-2014 Hidden Content
    2014 C7 Velocity Yellow, 3LT, Z51, Auto, CF dash kit, Carbon flash painted mirrors, tail and hood stinger,Black rims, Red Calipers, MRC, NPP, VIN # 1G1YM2D7XE5117615

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6095 times
    The good question is why are they all over the place from GM? I would think they would be all adjusted exactly just like every motor is 6.2 and not 6.1 or 6.3
    Motors cannot be changed so easily; the ride height can. Setting these and checking the alignment will be two of the areas that will be on my contract for PDI requirements.
    jagamajajaran likes this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    19653 times
    Thanks Jeremy for creating this detailed DIY. GREAT pictures and clear explanations!!!
    jagamajajaran and Kawika like this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    847 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamajajaran View Post
    1/4", which wasn't a lot because my bolts were already at a fairly low level. Some have seen much greater lowering because of where there factory bolts were set initially.
    I just did mine today turned them counterclockwise until they can no longer turn, after you remove the jack and have the car on the floor you need to take it for a quick spin around the block in order for it to set in, at least I did, it lowered a total of 1/2 inch all the way around for my car.
    Rear fender height before lowering was 28.75 now it is 28.25
    Front fender height before lowering was 27.25 now it is 26.75
    It looks much nicer, wife cannot tell the difference but you know that must be a girl thing no backlash from the ladies here please

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    I just did mine today turned them counterclockwise until they can no longer turn, after you remove the jack and have the car on the floor you need to take it for a quick spin around the block in order for it to set in, at least I did, it lowered a total of 1/2 inch all the way around for my car.
    Rear fender height before lowering was 28.75 now it is 28.25
    Front fender height before lowering was 27.25 now it is 26.75
    It looks much nicer, wife cannot tell the difference but you know that must be a girl thing no backlash from the ladies here please
    Good job! I lowered a friend's VY vert yesterday and it came down at least an inch. It was really setting high! lol

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    7192 times
    Jeremy, great write up and pictures. Did you measure each wheel before lowering yours? Have you noticed any difference when rolling over speed bumps? We have some monster speed bumps around here. I will be putting my C7 closer to the ground.

SF
    Rick
    2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Masterpiece, Torch Red, Jet Black Interior. Delivered to our home on 2 March 2014 from MacMulkin Chevrolet, Nashua, NH.
    Options: 2LT Package, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission, Chrome Wheels, Performance Exhaust, Navigation, Transparent Roof, Red Brake Calipers, Battery Protection.
    Mods: FormulaOne Performance Tint, CQuartz Sealant, XPEL Ultimate Protection Film (Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Mirrors, Headlights, Door Handle Cups, Door Seals), RPI Jack Pucks, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

Mileage
    ?
    Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    has anyone lowered their cars with alignment heads on the vehicle to see how it affected camber and toe?
    sure wish I were driving and not working.

Member #
    Liked
    5341 times
    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Marine View Post
    Jeremy, great write up and pictures. Did you measure each wheel before lowering yours? Have you noticed any difference when rolling over speed bumps? We have some monster speed bumps around here. I will be putting my C7 closer to the ground.

SF
    Rick
    I have the measurements somewhere, but mine wasn't set nearly as high as others. I haven't had any trouble with humps or inclines any more than I normally would have. Just watch where you drive and be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by akpancake View Post
    has anyone lowered their cars with alignment heads on the vehicle to see how it affected camber and toe?
    Alignment checks are always advised. Initial alignment is covered by factory warranty in many cases.
    U.S. Marine likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links