New owner of a 2016 Z51 with possible A8 reverse problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New owner of a 2016 Z51 with possible A8 reverse problem?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

New owner of a 2016 Z51 with possible A8 reverse problem?

Had the car a few weeks. What I notice is when the car is cold and I put it into reverse to back up, although it seem to go into gear, the car does not move on it's own with the brake released. Just sits there until I give it gas and then it seems to catch and go. It does not do this when it's warm. Thoughts?

I am a Chevy guy who has had multiple older style Corvettes and 2nd, 5th gen Camaros, I did spend the last 3 years with a Challenger. The Challenger automatic trans was tight, like it had a shift kit in it. Hardly needed to use the brakes going downhill. This Corvette's trans is nowhere like that and I also wonder if it is normal or part of the problem that may be affecting my cold reverse.

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    20k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10655 times
    Welcome to our forum drex1999. Sorry re the issue you are experiencing. Please see https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...-problems.html. Also, you can use are search function and will find other related threads and posts regarding issues with the A8.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. I had searched around and saw that bulletin but I do not seem to have the shudder and wanted to see if anyone else had my reverse problem and what resolved it, be it fluid, torque converter or other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    20k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10655 times
    I do recall posts specific to issues going into reverse when cold. For examplehttps://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...gine-cold.html
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    budgetplan1 likes this.

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Well I just discovered this posting and went back to read the service bulletin. Unfortunately i have had this issue for some time. Honestly i wrote it off to letting the car sit to long and once it got to operating temps it was fine so i never paid attention to it. Wondering now if i should take it in and have it looked at? Scared I could end up with more issues after the fix as it seems pretty labor intensive . Hopefully it is covered on the GM extended warranty as i am out of original warranty now although just turning 13k miles.
    Wondering if anyone else has not fixed this issue and what the outcome was or could be?
    Thanks for any info others may have had.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drex1999 View Post
    Thanks. I had searched around and saw that bulletin but I do not seem to have the shudder and wanted to see if anyone else had my reverse problem and what resolved it, be it fluid, torque converter or other.
    You may want to check if it is both in reverse and drive. For me it occurs not based on what gear i select but the first shift after sitting over night or longer. I also have not noticed a shudder at speed but certainly the delayed engagement on the first shift out of PARK after sitting for a day or more.
    2015 3LT/Z51 Convertible. Arctic White with Black Top, Black Leather and Sueade interior with white stitching and with Carbon Fiber Tonneau cover. Carbon Flash emblems and Competition Seats.

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    The A8 (in sport or track mode) should be solid if it's working properly (as you described like with the Challenger). It sounds like you might have other issues.

Member #
    2015 c7 A8..GET THE TSB 28 SERVICE BULLETIN DONE!!!!! IT IS AN OIL CHANGE OF 8 QTS (SAME GMBOTTLE WITH A NEWER PART NUMBER ENDING IN.....77, AND A NEW BIG SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD.

IT shifts very smooth , no more + or - 50 RPM drift in any mode, cruise steady state. Up or down shifts are smoother and faster. Software learning takes 100-200 miles to learn new. software. Dealer newnothing of TSB. Had it done in May, parts dept discovered 40 qts of NEW ATF had been delivered 3 days prior to my appointment. Takes 2-4 hours depending on interruptions. ATF HAS NEW ADDITIVES AND NEW VISCOSITY.

Fast Eddy, BS MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, MILITARY AND COMMERCIAL PILOT, INSTRUCTOR FLT EXAMINER, TEST PILOT, 30,000+ HOURS.

GET THE TSB DONE!!!!!!!

Member #
    Hi Drex,
    My "16 did the same. There is a notice and they reprogram computer with a "cold start" directive.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I've now discovered it also does it if I put it in drive after it has sat a while. Only my third week with the car. I was going to wait until late Oct when I put my truck on the road for winter in case they kept the car but my disappointment with this transmission grows each day and I am going to call tomorrow and set up an appointment. Hopefully I can get them to tackle the original problem as well as a flush and a small miracle happens with new fluid. Changing modes hardly makes any difference to the transmission. I run in sport as it's the highest selection that doesn't revert back down when you shut the car off and it's a free wheeling piece of crap.
    Last edited by drex1999; 08-30-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I've now discovered it also does it if I put it in drive after it has sat a while. Only my third week with the car. I was going to wait until late Oct when I put my truck on the road for winter in case they kept the car but my disappointment with this transmission grows each day and I am going to call tomorrow and set up an appointment. Hopefully I can get them to tackle the original problem as well as a flush and a small miracle happens with new fluid. Changing modes hardly makes any difference to the transmission. I run in sport as it's the highest selection that doesn't revert back down when you shut the car off and it's a free wheeling piece of crap.
    Mine goes in next week as well. They expect to have it at least a week as they need to replicate it so that takes a day or 2 of sitting. Also 9 transmission repairs in line ahead of me. Now I have to worry about what will change after they take apart the entire rear end of the car to handle the fix. My experience they are never as good as the first time they go together. Always seem to end up with fit and finish issues after they take them apart.
    No choice and hoping for the best.
    By the way in spite of this issue I still love the car. After the first shift is behind me the car drives great with no issue that i am noticing. I am expecting it to be that much better when i get it back. Also glad it is covered on the drive train warranty which i have another year or so of. I have no doubts this would be a couple of thousand dollar repair out of warranty.

So just to update it's been in the dealer service for one week for the TSB and they haven't even touched it... Told at least another week before i could possibly see it back...
    Last edited by 15snow-ray; 09-06-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Damn. I was literally sitting here with the phone ready to make an appointment but I'm not going a week without a car. I'll hold off until next month. Maybe put my truck on the road a bit early

Mileage
    On me or the car?
    Member #
    Liked
    837 times
    Damn. I was literally sitting here with the phone ready to make an appointment but I'm not going a week without a car. I'll hold off until next month. Maybe put my truck on the road a bit early
    It's a big job. They have to take the rear of the car body off to drop trans etc..
    I'm led to believe once they start it it's 3 or 4 days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6108 times
    Yes, that is the one you need to have done for the symptoms you described. It is a big job.

By the way, this was a mid-year 2016 fix. Not all 2016 VINs are affected. There was a follow-up notification of the exact VINs in 2016 affected. I checked that VIN list years ago, and my 2016 was late enough in the year that it was made from the factory with the fix already in place. So, I have never experienced that problem.
    Last edited by rdslon01; 09-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links