Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Managerman's 2015 Corvette Stingray 2LT Z51 A8 Build Thread

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Snide72 View Post
    Very Cool. I'm in Columbus also! Let's get together!
    That would be great! I have a feeling that winter is going to stick around for a bit longer. I like going to Columbus cars and coffee at the Lennox AMC on Saturday mornings. Hopefully we will have a Saturday soon that is warmer with dry roads.

-M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My First Corvette: Born on 10/7/14, Drove home 12/19/14
    2015 Arctic White, Kalahari 2LT Z51, Mag Ride, PDR, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Flash Mirrors/Spoiler, Carbon Flash badges, 8 speed auto, Black wheels, and Carbon Flash Hood Stinger.

Major mods: Z06 Supercharger, Z06 Grille, Z06 stage two splitter, RPI Z06 side skirts, Fatmat, Carbotech 1521 pads, Lloyds mats, Lowered fully on stock bolts, Painted fuel rail and plenum covers, APR Carbon Fiber Track Pack Spoiler, GS Creations smoked tail light covers, Stinger Winglet "StingRay" decals, Borla Atak exhaust and Borla X-pipe, ACS Diffuser fins, Z06 rear scoops, Scorpion Waterfall

Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    551 times
    SO...This winter has really sucked!! I have not done any mods to the Corvette yet, but instead I decided to work on building a new PC based on my Corvette! If you would like a little diversion into my crazy nerd hobby of building PC's, check out my build log below! It took over 3 months of planning, designing and building to complete.

The complete build log is HERE

Complete Image Gallery HERE

Enjoy!

-M

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (40 of 43).jpg
Views: 145
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (2 of 43).jpg
Views: 146
Size:  969.7 KB

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (12 of 43).jpg
Views: 149
Size:  881.2 KB

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (21 of 43).JPG
Views: 153
Size:  4.82 MB
    Last edited by managerman; 02-28-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    jsvette, Racer_X and Ateupjoe like this.
    2015 Arctic White, Kalahari 2LT Z51, Mag Ride, PDR, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Flash Mirrors/Spoiler, Carbon Flash badges, 8 speed auto, Black wheels, and Carbon Flash Hood Stinger.

Major mods: Z06 Supercharger, Z06 Grille, Z06 stage two splitter, RPI Z06 side skirts, Fatmat, Carbotech 1521 pads, Lloyds mats, Lowered fully on stock bolts, Painted fuel rail and plenum covers, APR Carbon Fiber Track Pack Spoiler, GS Creations smoked tail light covers, Stinger Winglet "StingRay" decals, Borla Atak exhaust and Borla X-pipe, ACS Diffuser fins, Z06 rear scoops, Scorpion Waterfall

Hidden Content

Super Moderator
    Gold Supporting Member
    Mileage
    20k+
    Member #
    Liked
    10655 times
    Very impressive and creative PC!
    managerman likes this.
    aka Jeff
    'RedHot' Prod.Wk 7 Oct '13 Museum Del. 29 Oct '13
    Torch Red, 2LT Adrenaline Red, AutoTrans., Nav., Perf. Exhaust, Transparent panel, Red Brembos, CQuartz Finest
    Contributing Member of the National Corvette Museum

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    Well Done Matt and this is a Nice Article that came across my news alert!

Click link below for full read.......

Corvette-Themed PC Is As Fast As It Looks | GM Authority

Corvette-Themed PC Is As Fast As It Looks

There are a plethora of car enthusiasts out there who want one thing, and one thing only–power. More power often equates to better performance and speed. Blistering zero-to-60 times and 200-plus-mph top speeds can make a gaggle of speed demons melt like butter on a warm pancake. There’s another aspect of life outside transportation that draws equally passionate speed demons–computers. And sometimes, interest in cars and computers intersect, such as they do for Matt Herman, a C7 Corvette owner who built a Corvette-themed PC that requires its own radiator.

While Herman has a 700-horsepower, supercharged Corvette in his garage, he now has a computer in his office that he claims is in the top one percent of all high-end desktop computers–in the world. That’s a bold claim, but you wouldn’t doubt his claim look at the specs. Beefy parts include Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, MSI X399 MEG Creation motherboard, 32 gigabytes of G.Skill Flare-X F4-3200 C14 memory, and much more. Onboard storage includes two 512-GB hard drives and one one-terabyte hard drive.....................more

Quote Originally Posted by managerman View Post
    SO...This winter has really sucked!! I have not done any mods to the Corvette yet, but instead I decided to work on building a new PC based on my Corvette! If you would like a little diversion into my crazy nerd hobby of building PC's, check out my build log below! It took over 3 months of planning, designing and building to complete.

The complete build log is HERE

Complete Image Gallery HERE

Enjoy!

-M

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (40 of 43).jpg
Views: 145
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (2 of 43).jpg
Views: 146
Size:  969.7 KB

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (12 of 43).jpg
Views: 149
Size:  881.2 KB

Name:  2019BucketListCorvette (21 of 43).JPG
Views: 153
Size:  4.82 MB
    Last edited by kgrant; 03-05-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    managerman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    Matt,
    I recall when you installed your first edition of the Navtool it seems to be labor intensive but I went to their website and they list it as a 2 out of 10 in terms of level of difficulty. In my mind, when you installed the original I would rate as a 7-8 out of 10, what sayeth you? How long would I anticipate to install and did you road map the new installation or since you installed the original, you didn't have to do as much? I didn't see a rundown of the installation process.

Kyle

Name:  Navatool installation.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  108.6 KB

Some recent pictures from this summer...I will be driving to TN and NC this weekend to drive the Tail of the Dragon and the Smoky Mountain Loop!! I will have pictures from that trip to post next week!

I also just installed the new Navtool 5.0 in my car...It is fantastic! It has a really nice touch screen interface and it has a fully functional implementation of CarPlay!!! Woohoo!! I had the Navtool 3.0....but this new unit is a really nice upgrade. I will be posting a complete rundown on how to do the Navtool 5.0 install...as I had to install from scratch since the Navtool 3.0 wiring harnesses are different.

Attachment 264996

Attachment 264998

Attachment 265000

Attachment 265002

-M

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kgrant View Post
    Well Done Matt and this is a Nice Article that came across my news alert!

Click link below for full read.......

Corvette-Themed PC Is As Fast As It Looks | GM Authority

Corvette-Themed PC Is As Fast As It Looks

There are a plethora of car enthusiasts out there who want one thing, and one thing only–power. More power often equates to better performance and speed. Blistering zero-to-60 times and 200-plus-mph top speeds can make a gaggle of speed demons melt like butter on a warm pancake. There’s another aspect of life outside transportation that draws equally passionate speed demons–computers. And sometimes, interest in cars and computers intersect, such as they do for Matt Herman, a C7 Corvette owner who built a Corvette-themed PC that requires its own radiator.

While Herman has a 700-horsepower, supercharged Corvette in his garage, he now has a computer in his office that he claims is in the top one percent of all high-end desktop computers–in the world. That’s a bold claim, but you wouldn’t doubt his claim look at the specs. Beefy parts include Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, MSI X399 MEG Creation motherboard, 32 gigabytes of G.Skill Flare-X F4-3200 C14 memory, and much more. Onboard storage includes two 512-GB hard drives and one one-terabyte hard drive.....................more
    Matt,
    I recall when you installed your first edition of the Navtool it seems to be labor intensive but I went to their website and they list it as a 2 out of 10 in terms of level of difficulty. In my mind, when you installed the original I would rate as a 7-8 out of 10, what sayeth you? How long would I anticipate to install and did you road map the new installation or since you installed the original, you didn't have to do as much? I didn't see a rundown of the installation process.

Kyle

Name:  Navatool installation.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  108.6 KB
    Thanks Kyle on posting the Article about my PC...It was very cool to see that!

In regards to the Navtool....they are full of crap on the ease of install.....I would rate it as a 7 or 8 of 10 for difficultly and time required. It took me a whole day to do everything...install the cameras, run all the wires, and then install the navtool itself. The new 5.0 version was a repeat of the original Navtool install, but it went much faster since I was a little wiser the second time...the wiring harnesses on the 5.0 are different vs. the 3.0 so one particular wire had to be rerun from the passenger side to the driver side behind the console...I have found that using a coat hanger was the best way to fish that wire...

I hope that helps.

-M

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    Thanks Matt!

I think I will pass on this mod as it is a nice to have but I really don't have the time or patience for a whole day to spend on it. Shame on them for posting it's a 2 of 10 in difficulty!

Thanks Kyle on posting the Article about my PC...It was very cool to see that!

In regards to the Navtool....they are full of crap on the ease of install.....I would rate it as a 7 or 8 of 10 for difficultly and time required. It took me a whole day to do everything...install the cameras, run all the wires, and then install the navtool itself. The new 5.0 version was a repeat of the original Navtool install, but it went much faster since I was a little wiser the second time...the wiring harnesses on the 5.0 are different vs. the 3.0 so one particular wire had to be rerun from the passenger side to the driver side behind the console...I have found that using a coat hanger was the best way to fish that wire...

I hope that helps.

-M
    managerman likes this.

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    551 times
    Some Late Spring mods happening!! Here is one of them!

I ordered a custom steering wheel for my 2015 Z51 a few months back. I received the new wheel last week and was going to have my performance shop do the install. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube and checked some posts here on the forum, so I decided I could attempt the install myself....I have not seen a complete pictorial DIY for the removal and install of a new steering wheel, so I documented the entire install....issues and all...Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

STEP 1:

Remove the negative battery cable from the battery...You will need a 10mm socket with extension to do the job. TIP: Even after loosening the 10mm nut the cable would still not come up so I had to use a small screwdriver to lift the cable and then I was able to pull it up with no issue.

YOU MUST WAIT 10 MIN to allow all the power to drain out of the system before you begin to remove the airbag.

STEP 2:

After you have waited at least 10 minutes, you may begin to remove the airbag from the existing steering wheel. You will need to small Philips head screw drivers, allen wrenches or punch tool to release the airbag clips from both sides of the airbag. I found that pushing both the tools in the holes on the side of the steering wheel at the same time allowed the clips to release far easier than doing one side at a time...You will see the airbag move a little once you release the clips. Gently pull the airbag from the steering wheel. It should pull out slowly.

STEP 3:

Once you pull the airbag free, you will need to unclip three connectors from the airtbag.

This is the first connector you need to unclip.

Next are the two airbag connectors. Use a small screwdriver to gently lift the orange clips from each of the connectors.

Once the orange connectors are up, gently remove the two connectors from the airbag.

Place the removed airbag aside in a safe place

This is what you should see once the airbag is removed.

STEP 4: If you need to keep your existing trim bezel with your new wheel you will need to remove it from the existing wheel...If not skip ahead to step 5.

Use your fingers to gently pry the trim bezel from the steering wheel

You will need to remove the clip on both sides of the trim bezel. It is a tight fit to reach and push down on the tab on the clip to remove it. It took me a few tries to remove them

With the trim piece removed you can clearly see how the connectors attach. They are at a slight angle (You will need to remember this when re-attaching them)

Here is what it looks like with the removed trim bezel...

STEP 5: Remove the main connector from the steering wheel. I used a small flat head screwdriver to gently remove the connector

STEP 6: Removal of the main bolt! Please take notice of where this arrow is. The shaft is "keyed" so you can align the steering wheel properly when putting the new wheel on.

You will need a T-50 Torx socket. I picked this one up on Amazon for 4.00.

I initially used this socket with an extension on my Electric impact wrench and the bolt would not budge. (some bolts will come free easy...some will not!) If this happens to you, STOP....do not strip out the bolt or the socket! You will need HEAT to soften the thread locker on the bolt! I used my wife's hair dryer to heat the bolt up to a point where it was almost to hot to touch. I also taped the main connector up and out of the way from the heat. Once the bolt was sufficiently heated I gave the impact wrench another try and BINGO...the bolt came loose with no issues.

STEP 6: Install the new steering wheel!

If you need to replace the original trim bezel, then now is the time reconnect the left and right connectors on the bezel to the new steering wheel...Make sure these connectors snap firmly into place!

Place the new wheel on the hub making note of where the directional arrow is so your alignment is good.

STEP 7: Once you place the new wheel on go ahead and plug in the black connector at the top.

Next you will need to re-install the main bolt. I reused the bolt and added a tiny bit of thread locker to it.

You will need a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to 22 foot pounds!

STEP 8: Reconnect the Airbag in reverse order

STEP 9: Firmly push the airbag back into place. You will here it click into place.

STEP 10: Reconnect the negative battery terminal

STEP 11: Start the car and check that all the steering wheel controls are functional.....(Don't ask me why....:-)

NOTE: The car will most likely ask you to re-index the windows. This is done by opening and closing both windows one at a time and then holding the up position for 3-5 seconds on each. Follow what the DIC messaging tells you to do!

Now you are finished! Enjoy your new wheel!

I hope this will help anyone trying to do this on their own!

BTW....I had the steering wheel made by www.teamcarbon12.com. They did an amazing job!

-M
    Ateupjoe likes this.

Hidden Content

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    551 times
    Here is another mod I did this past weekend! I added Strut Covers! I ordered these though Bad Boy Vettes

It was very easy to install them...and they look great!

-M

Name:  20190615_184216673_iOS (2).jpg
Views: 39
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  20190615_185045496_iOS (2).jpg
Size:  164.3 KB

Name:  20190615_192153519_iOS (2).jpg
Size:  161.6 KB
    Ateupjoe likes this.

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    -M
    You've been quiet for awhile and I always wait in anticipation of what mod you would do next....What are you returning to stock and getting C8? LOL

Mileage
    Member #
    Liked
    551 times
    -M
    You've been quiet for awhile and I always wait in anticipation of what mod you would do next....What are you returning to stock and getting C8? LOL
    Kgrant,

i am still modding I should have an update post this week with what I have been doing all summer. I’m will be waiting until the C8 Z06 comes out in a couple years, but I will not be trading my C7 in! Going to keep it for a long time. Too much invested in the C7. Have driven it over 3000 miles this summer and enjoyed every mile!

Name:  A458AB08-9159-47FE-8B50-8E428FE8A666.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  5.10 MB

I appreciate the check in.

-M
    kgrant and jsvette like this.

Hidden Content

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Sponsored Links