• 1 Post By Racer_X
  • 2 Post By Mobius
  • 2 Post By Racer_X

Thread: Google assistant

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Google assistant

For the first time, I saw Google assistant on my info screen today. It was an orientation screen, saying you can say OK Google, or press the microphone. I had earlier shut down, and restarted my Android phone, and it was connected to the usb port.
    I was able to ask about individual stock prices, and it answered through car speaker.
    No pictures or displays on screen, but very cool!
    Mobius likes this.
    2019 Z06 2LZ Convertible 7M--- Cybermatrix gray, gray interior, spice red top, shark gray vents, shark gray stinger, competition seats, red seat belts

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    2212 times
    Sounds like a nice feature. Can't get my C7 out cause of snow. I don't have a need for that communication. Listen to music when I drive it. I get necessary info if I need it.

GOOGLE ASSISTANT...Could be a distraction to driving. Why you want it?
    Last edited by Boomer; 01-10-2018 at 08:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Mileage
    3559 as of September 4, 2016.
    Member #
    Liked
    6108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Sounds like a nice feature. Can't get my C7 out cause of snow. I don't have a need for that communication. Listen to music when I drive it. I get necessary info if I need it.

GOOGLE ASSISTANT...Could be a distraction to driving. Why you want it?
    I want it. I need it. You know, that way I can continually check how my M&B offshore LLC stock is doing.
    Boomer and Mobius like this.
    Rodney and C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. (Candy Apple Red, Outrageously Lovely, Incredibly Nimble Entertainment)

C.A.R.O.L.I.N.E. is a 2016 Long Beach Red, 3LZ, Stage 1, Z06 Coupe with an Automatic 8-speed transmission, the Spice Red Design Package, Competition Seats, a Carbon Flash Hood Stinger, and a Body-Colored Dual Roof Package. She has SunTek paint protective film installed on every painted surface other than on some of the vents' and grille's slats, G3 Carbon's "G3-O7" side skirts, GM StingRay Red Tail Lights, GM Rear Splash Guards from Trunk Monkey, ACS Composite Enhanced Front Wheel Mudflaps from West Coast Corvette, and her mufflers painted with POR15 Aluminum high temperature paint.

4. Remove Advertisements
    StingrayForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    I can continually check how my M&B offshore LLC stock is doing.
    Its doing great. Stabilized nicely. Mobius probably has a more detailed report.
    Mobius likes this.

Mileage
    107,000 (s)miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    4871 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronz View Post
    For the first time, I saw Google assistant on my info screen today. It was an orientation screen, saying you can say OK Google, or press the microphone.
    Although I don't have Android Auto in my 2014 C7 (I may add it in the future, who knows), my wife and I use it regularly in our Hondas.

Simple commands like "Play Cheap Trick" will launch the default Android music app and play your library for that artist. Of course you can request individual songs, playlists, and genres as well.

You can also ask general questions, like "What will the weather be in West Lafayette Indiana this weekend?" as well as basic math. I use the math function to calculate fuel economy. You can also use it to send text messages, which works well. Say "Send text to Cathy", and you'll then be prompted by Google for the text message.

Here's a short video of the Google voice commands in action in a C7.

Quote Originally Posted by rdslon01 View Post
    I want it. I need it. You know, that way I can continually check how my M&B offshore LLC stock is doing.
    In order to keep our fees low, and given the "secretive" predispositions of our various customers (including several African Warlords), our various M&B stocks and stock options remain unlisted. However, I've just crunched the numbers, and things are lookin' up!

Name:  derivatives.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  75.4 KB
    Last edited by Mobius; 01-11-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    rdslon01 and Boomer like this.
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    When I purchased recently 2x Pixel2 Phones I also received 2x Google Home devices, so I said "Alexa you are fired" (was fun), now with AA and Assistant my ecosystem is completed.
    Actually the Assistant was already (indirectly) working in my Vette with AA, but I can't tell how much I love Google over Apple.
    Mobius likes this.
    Life is too short to drive a boring car

2016 Arctic White C7 Stingray 2LT

Member #
    Liked
    1265 times
    On one hand we complain about too much big brother - and on the other, we invite them into our phones, houses and cars. Can't have it both ways.
    Mobius likes this.
    Frank
    2015 VY Stingray Coupe 1LT w/Black interior
    M7 NPP Nav PDR Transparent Roof Yellow Calipers

Mileage
    107,000 (s)miles in Vettes
    Member #
    Liked
    4871 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
    On one hand we complain about too much big brother - and on the other, we invite them into our phones, houses and cars. Can't have it both ways.
    It's too late - all our online activity is recorded, and our cell phones give our travel history and current location to within about 30' accuracy.

The IT manager at my company also mentioned to me that voice requests to Google are recorded - I assume he knows what he's talking about, and apparently Google claims these voice recording are used to further refine their speech recognition capabilities...

In another generation or two we'll have permanent brain implants that link us directly to the world-wide web... and then the next stop will be, you guessed it...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  63.6 KB
    Racer_X and Boomer like this.
    Current Vettes:
    '68 Lemans Blue 327/350 Convertible
    '91 Turquoise Convertible w/hardtop
    '14 Lime Rock Green 2LT Convertible, Black Top, Kalahari, 7-Speed, Performance Exhaust - Ordered on 4-1-2014, 2000 Status on 4-10-2014, TPW 5-12-2014, Built on 5-16-2014, Picked-up at dealership on 5-30-2014
    "Delta t = 23"

Member #
    Liked
    1265 times
    I agree with you on all of that... but adding listening devices to your phones and cars just multiplies what's being tracked. If you have an in home listening smart device like echo or alexa you have just bugged your house... or your car for that matter. And don't forget about your "smart" tv that's waiting for you to play your favorite show... its online and listening as well. Not that i'm paranoid but i have all the location settings turned off whenever i can. I got tired of getting a text everytime i left someplace asking me to rate it! Talk about intrusive! Next time in target it's going to text me.... "The paper towels you are looking for are on aisle 9!" Google assistant? No thanks...
    Mobius and Boomer like this.
    Frank
    2015 VY Stingray Coupe 1LT w/Black interior
    M7 NPP Nav PDR Transparent Roof Yellow Calipers

Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    1984 by George Orwell is my favorite book
    Life is too short to drive a boring car

2016 Arctic White C7 Stingray 2LT

Sponsored Links