Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced one of my damaged ACS Composite side skirts. I noticed right away this one is not gel coat/fiberglass like the previous versions. I can appreciate that they are finding more “efficient” ways to produce these, However, I AM disappointed that they are not as sturdy. When driving in the rain the other day, I thought I might have left my passenger door slightly ajar because the noise of water hitting the side skirt was horrendous! It’s even more noticeable because the left side directly underneath me makes almost no noise. I’ll obviously have to get used to it. Perhaps I’ll buy a new plastic side skirt for the driver’s side. At least the noise will be balanced.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Curious if you have had a chance talk with ACS about this. Perhaps they have a explanation or a possible solution to it. Doesn't seem that a replacement should be notably inferior to the original that is replaced. Good luck sorting it out. --Bob

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Curious if you have had a chance talk with ACS about this. Perhaps they have a explanation or a possible solution to it. Doesn't seem that a replacement should be notably inferior to the original that is replaced. Good luck sorting it out. --Bob
Bob,

I have reached out to ACS, though I feel the issue is pretty straight forward actually. The sound of the water splashing up onto the plastic part makes more noise than the rigid fiberglass. So, it IS “inferior” in my opinion. I’m running their extended from splash guards too. I’m pretty confident there is no “solution” they could come up with to minimize this difference in road noise.

· Super Moderator
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
2,133 Posts
I wonder if the noise is water hitting the underside of the top side? If the underside I would if you could buffer the underside with some sound deadening material but if its the water hitting on the top I'm not sure how to remedy. I now see that you said you weren't driving and opened your door is when you noticed so I wonder if protective film PPF would buffer the sound is a thought but not sure if it would work but that coupled with sound deadening material on the underside might do the trick or worth the try.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if the noise is water hitting the underside of the top side? If the underside I would if you could buffer the underside with some sound deadening material but if its the water hitting on the top I'm not sure how to remedy. I now see that you said you weren't driving and opened your door is when you noticed so I wonder if protective film PPF would buffer the sound is a thought but not sure if it would work but that coupled with sound deadening material on the underside might do the trick or worth the try.
I probably should have clarified that I was actually going down the road when I thought the door was slightly ajar. You make a couple good points. My previous install I used 3M tape plus rivets. This time I asked ACS if I need to use tape. They said I do not so I chose to leave it out. Maybe that created a little bit of buffer? Dunno at this point. I think I’m going to search for a fiberglass one from one revision back.

Reactions: jsvette

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

ACS replied back to me and said they’ve not heard of anyone with one of each type of side skirts. They told me when they made them out of fiberglass, they finished the underside with a spray on truck bedliner type product. I think I’ll give that a try.

· Administrator
17,470 Posts
The spray bedliner would certainly help deaden sound transmission IMO.

Reactions: stevette

· Registered
85 Posts
Hard to believe that a company with the rep that ACS has would start to cut corners on their quality
(not that I'm doubting the OP's experience at all)...especially with the prices that they charge! 💰💰💰

· Registered
10,686 Posts
When I was getting ready to buy some side skirts, I did call and talk to ACS. Based on the phone conversation, I knew I would not spend any money there.

You can learn a lot by talking to people, if you know what to listen for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts