Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I read in one of the press releases that GM is claiming a 0-60 time of 3.5 seconds for the Z06 Convertible. This is the first estimate I have seen from GM. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Pretty sure I read the same thing. Or did it say "under 3.5 seconds"? Don't remember for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
18,670 Posts
Saw under 3.5 seconds. Last year they announced under 4.0 seconds for the StingRay, yet after several months of testing and refinements, they eventually published 3.8 seconds mid last summer. while it took magazines several months to repeat that 3.8, several eventually did 3.7 seconds.

The Z06 is undergoing months and months and months more testing, and is comparatively behind the same schedule, so would not doubt the following times when they are announced about September. Basing these on the fact that for the StingRay convertible weighs 64 pounds more than the coupe and that as six-speed auto is a little faster than the seven-speed (GM says 3.80 for the 6-speed, 3.85 for the manual), and the eight-speed auto will be even quicker.

Z06 estimate = 3.2 seconds for the automatic coupe; 3.3 manual coupe: 3.3 auto convertible, and 3.4 manual convertible.

And while I am on a limb, thinking low 11's, perhaps a 10.9 for the auto @ 136 for the quarter, and 1.15 G lateral.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It's all a matter of hooking up. That's a lot if torque to be routing through 2 tires!

0-60 times make for good bar chat bragging rights. I pay more attention to the 5-60 numbers published by some mags.

In this day and age of abusive, but effortlessly repeatable (until something breaks), launch control programs, 0-60 times are becoming less relevant in terms of how powerful a car is going to feel on the street.

Was reading about the new AWD WRX. It can hit 60 in 4.5 seconds...by side stepping the clutch at 6700 RPM. 5-60 is 6.0 seconds. I'm not sidestepping my clutch at redline, unless it's a rental! Driven in a less abusive fashion, the acceleration probably won't thrill most performance vehicle enthusiasts.

Guessing the 5-60 times on the new Z06 will be close to 3 seconds, at least with the cup tires. That's gonna feel great!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like your predictions elegant! The significant improvements in the 8 speed auto have me seriously considering something I never thought I would - choose an automatic Vette over a seven speed manual! Will wait to see reviews etc. as they become available.

Patiently awaiting order dates etc. for the Z06!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a lot of toque. I guess that's why the tires are so phat! I do own a AWD performance car now and it does improve traction significantly in real world conditions. I bought it for snow but rarely see that here in North Carolina. However, during rain and other slippery conditions such as loose gravel etc. it is very assuring - especially when pulling out in front of traffic etc. We all have experienced the phenominon of pressing the accelorator too hard and feeling the back wheels break loose in a two wheel performance car.

I doubt Chevy will consider AWD in a Vette based on cost, weight etc. but it does help significantly with traction that becomes a bigger problem as torque levels reach new plateaus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment IMG_9978.JPG
It is a lot of toque. I guess that's why the tires are so phat! I do own a AWD performance car now and it does improve traction significantly in real world conditions. I bought it for snow but rarely see that here in North Carolina. However, during rain and other slippery conditions such as loose gravel etc. it is very assuring - especially when pulling out in front of traffic etc. We all have experienced the phenominon of pressing the accelorator too hard and feeling the back wheels break loose in a two wheel performance car.

I doubt Chevy will consider AWD in a Vette based on cost, weight etc. but it does help significantly with traction that becomes a bigger problem as torque levels reach new plateaus.

Dude I feel you all the way on this one.. The Stingray / Z06 would be an amazing beast if they offered a AWD Vette. I have a Jeep SRT-8 with not nearly as much toque or HP and it totally kicks my Stingray off the line...
I would have been willing to pay up to $3k more for AWD Stingray.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
At the Bash, Tadge Juechter announced that the Z06 will go 0-to- 60 in under 3.4 seconds.
I keep seeing people speak of AWD versus rear wheel drive having a major advantage, which I can't possibly dispute, however there's a number of other factors that enter into the equation. Yes, the AWD is going to have a huge advantage from a dead stop or zero to twenty because I've seen cars with less torque or AWD put away cars capable of being much quicker over the years. If you can't hook up the tires then all the additional power in the world won't do you any good. This has allot to do with how the Nissan GT-R has been so successful. Even the old souped up VW Bugs had an advantage from stop light to stop light, but REALLY????? I'm driving a Nissan 370Z right now and it's cool and fun to drive and I was planning on holding on to it for awhile, but since seeing my first C-7..... "GAME OVER." And the new Z06 with 0-60 in less than 3.5? IT'S REALLY OVER. Could the new Z06 have even quicker 0-60 times? Perhaps and more probably it would, but regardless, I can't possible think of anything I'd rather have in my price range than a new 2015 Z06. Besides it sounds allot cooler as well. Good old American muscle...

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I would prefer AWD for added stability in various rainy/low traction/slick conditions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have no problem paying $5-6k more for an AWD Z06! I know it's not happening but if there were an option.......

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Subaru Wrx and a C7. They are both fun cars to drive but there is nothing better then kicking the ass end out on my C7 and burning some rubber. I can not tell you how many times I have pulled up to a light and a car around me is begging me to burn some rubber. I just can't resist it. It is awesome that the C7 still has a manual option and rear wheel drive. Watch a review on Utube of the Nissan Gtr. Everybody says how it is quick but it is so boring to drive because the car does all the work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Subaru Wrx and a C7. They are both fun cars to drive but there is nothing better then kicking the ass end out on my C7 and burning some rubber. I can not tell you how many times I have pulled up to a light and a car around me is begging me to burn some rubber. I just can't resist it. It is awesome that the C7 still has a manual option and rear wheel drive. Watch a review on Utube of the Nissan Gtr. Everybody says how it is quick but it is so boring to drive because the car does all the work.

I'm with you on this! I didn't buy a C7 thinking it's the fastest car on the road, clearly cash can make any car more HP and go fast. I did however buy my C7 because it looks badass, sounds badass and you can't wipe the smile off my face when driving it.

·
18,670 Posts
Um the 2014 3.8 $54,000. 2015 Z-06 3.5 $80,000-$90,000 .To me it's not worth it.
That's what makes this country great, that we all get to choose.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Some like vanilla, and some people like chocolate. I like chocolate. And if you like vanilla, I promise I won't talk you into liking chocolate. I'll take the Z06, with nuts and whipped cream and all the stuff I know may not make sense to others. Yum!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
With this test we can expect better Henessey with original Z06!

HPE600 Normally Aspirated Upgrade for the
2014 C7 Corvette Stingray
Limited Edition - Only 100 Units Will Be Built for the 2014 Model Year

Power
• 603 bhp @ 6,500 rpm

Performance
• 0-60 mph: 3.5 sec.
• 1/4 mile: 11.3 @ 127 mph

HPE600 Upgrade Includes
• High Flow Cylinder Heads
• Long Tube Stainless Steel Headers
• Custom HPE Camshaft
• All Necessary Gaskets & Fluids
• Professional Installation
• HPE Engine Management Calibration
• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
• Hennessey Exterior Badging
• Hennessey Premium Floormats
• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

Optional Upgrades
• CarbonAero Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Side Sills & Front Lip Spoiler
• Hennessey H10 Monoblock Wheel Upgrade
• Hennessey Carbon Fiber Door Sill Plates

Click Here to Read the Corvette Magazine Cover Story Featuring
the Hennessey HPE700 Supercharged C7 Corvette Stingray Convertible!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It's not a test, it's a claim from a tuner with a marginal reputation. I'll take GM's numbers to the bank, along with the 100000 mile powertrain warranty.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts