Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while, when accelerating slowly in first gear, the display will register "for best economy - shift to forth." More often than not, this does not appear, even at slow acceleration. When it does, am I really doing any harm if I ignore it and shift to second, third, and so on?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
No, but I am surprised that you can shift to second gear. There is supposed to be a lock out that forces you to go to 4th. I've read that this system is not as aggressive as was the case in the C-6, so maybe that's why you can.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If the skip shift does engage and you try to force the transmission into 2nd gear even though it is trying to stop you from doing so, you could possibly hurt the tranny. Shifting from first to third is no problem though, I do this all the time in my Camaro.

For the skip shift to engage, your transmission must be at normal operating temperatures, not accelerate past 25 MPH (if I can remember right), and you must be at low RPM's.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I never have a problem going from first to second ever, but i do sometimes go to fourth just to save a little gas on those days i feel like going slower.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have not experienced the shifter directing me to fourth. The shift to second has always been easy and unobstructed. I have noted that the clutch has to be pushed in at least over half way during to shift. Other manuals that I have owned did not require as much travel for shifting. If I don't push in that far the trans will click/clunk on the shift. This means that the clutch engagement is set to low. Can this be adjusted by the dealer?

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
187 Posts
Chip, I know for a fact that it "lets" me go into second gear when that message comes up. I don't think that's how it should be, obviously. It's only when I don't notice the message that it locks me out of second and I fumble around for fourth. This happened the other day when I was driving someone somewhere. It was kind of embarrassing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My camaro did the same thing, and i didnt have the skip shift installed. The message would come up and i could easily slip it into second without any problems.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Does anyone know if the GM P/N-21008 used on the C6 Corvette will work on the C7? I'm ordering from Amazon and can get free shipping on my Prime if it's the same thing. I want to order tonight, so if anyone knows update or PM me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am proud to say I have 780 miles on my car and my lifetime mpg is 14. I run at "S" and always engage Match Rev.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
3500 plus miles and not once has skip shift activated on mine.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Every once in a while, when accelerating slowly in first gear, the display will register "for best economy - shift to forth." More often than not, this does not appear, even at slow acceleration. When it does, am I really doing any harm if I ignore it and shift to second, third, and so on?
Thanks,
Dan
It is designed for GM to post better mpg on the EPA’s test sequence! I have purchased a “Skip Shift” eliminator kit for my C6 and now for my C7. In my opinion, especially today with some folks using their cell phones and worse texting, it is a potential safety hazard! Here is what happened to me: I seldom drive that slow to have skip shift activate, so was not ready, when in stop and go traffic and I went to shift to 2nd, it was blocked! I fumbled and finally realized what was happening! If someone behind me decided to make a cell phone call or worse, like Pavlov’s dogs, respond instinctively to a text message and was looking down when I started to move forward, they might have expected I would be continuing moving forward, not slowing! They could have hit my rear! It will no longer happen with the skip shift eliminator installed, cheap insurance!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am wondering if any of you can point me to the correct plug to disconnect. I have the "eliminator" but have not installed it yet. Where is it? A picture or 4 would be helpful so I could narrow it down.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I am wondering if any of you can point me to the correct plug to disconnect. I have the "eliminator" but have not installed it yet. Where is it? A picture or 4 would be helpful so I could narrow it down.

Thanks in advance!
http://netwelding.com/Skip_shift_Eliminator.pdf

Just curious, how many times has the system forced you to skip a shift? Many drivers indicate that they get the dash warning, but the system never forces a shift-skip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just shy of 10K miles, not once has it forced me to do a 1to 4 shift. I've never experienced any issues with this feature.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
So far I've seen only one person on this forum (Jerry) who has claimed that their C7 forced them to skip gears (e.g., forced to shift from 1st to 4th, rather than the desired 1st to 2nd), but I have seen many posters who claim they've never been forced to skip gears, even when seeing a dash warning.

I plan to wait until driving the car a good bit to see if I ever am forced to "skip" a shift, before buying the CAGS bypass.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, guys, I'm driving a 2009 CTS-V with a TR6060 and rarely have the CAGS activate. I don't think that it's worth your time and money to buy and install any bypass circuit.

Jud

Sent from my iPhone 5S

·
Registered
993 Posts
So far I've seen only one person on this forum (Jerry) who has claimed that their C7 forced them to skip gears (e.g., forced to shift from 1st to 4th, rather than the desired 1st to 2nd), but I have seen many posters who claim they've never been forced to skip gears, even when seeing a dash warning.

I plan to wait until driving the car a good bit to see if I ever am forced to "skip" a shift, before buying the CAGS bypass.
I was forced to shift too many times 1 to 4. It's disconcerting to say the least. On an ice fog covered hill in the morning it put me sideways. Never again. We in a tuned it out so I get neither the skip shift or the indication.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts