Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM has assigned StingRay VIN numbers to 10,000 already. Not every one of these has been completed yet, as VIN's are assigned before the chassis goes down the production line (allowing all of the StingRay's parts can be collected and assigned (figuratively, in a computer). Later that VIN is stamped into the chassis as it goes down the production line.

Production continues at a pace of 152 Corvettes per work day. Tadge Juechter has ruled out a second shift. Reminder to all who are calculating when their car will be manufactured, that the plant is closed December 19th, with production resuming on January 3rd.

GM's plan/goal is to produce approximately 25,000-30,000 units during this model year. Constraints on all but the CF tops were reduced last week, and we hope tomorrow shows further progress in this area.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is it a good or bad thing everyone gets back to work the week of my TPW lol. They come back to work on a Friday after a break?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Elegant somewhere I read the plant itself will not be closed during all the timeframe of Dec 19 to Jan 3, but some are black-out dates and no tours will be allowed, and some are holidays there will be no production.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That schedule appears to just be for tours. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chip's posted schedule above is for the plant being totally closed except for maintenance crews. No tours, no assembly line. Sorry if this is the bad news, but this is their typical/usual/annual process. They've worked lots of six days weeks and lots of overtime since July. Glad for them they are getting time off.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yes, that only applies to public access to the plant. The assembly line is still running on many of those days. Reasons for this typically are because, along with production cars, some other product is coming down the line. Recently it was rumored to be either the first C7Rs, or possibly the development Z06's, that closed access on Nov 15th. In the spring, it will likely be development and test models for model year 2015.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hmmm, appears we have conflicting info. I was going of info given to one C7 buyer by the museum when his buyers tour was cancelled. Even though his car was indeed being built, he could not be allowed in the plant on that day, due to non-production items coming down the line.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That is what I was also told Fdxpilot, some of the blackout days the production is going on but they do not allow tours.

·
Registered
502 Posts
GM has assigned StingRay VIN numbers to 10,000 already. Not every one of these has been completed yet, as VIN's are assigned before the chassis goes down the production line (allowing all of the StingRay's parts can be collected and assigned (figuratively, in a computer). Later that VIN is stamped into the chassis as it goes down the production line.

Production continues at a pace of 152 Corvettes per work day. Tadge Juechter has ruled out a second shift. Reminder to all who are calculating when their car will be manufactured, that the plant is closed December 19th, with production resuming on January 3rd.

GM's plan/goal is to produce approximately 25,000-30,000 units during this model year. Constraints on all but the CF tops were reduced last week, and we hope tomorrow shows further progress in this area.
Actually, given the 500 Premiere Edition Coupes have their own VIN sequence, they've already built over 10,000 Stingrays.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, on Friday, November 15th, the tours were stopped, while production was continuing-- probably because some special "product" was being assembled. That is correct.

However, that is not what is happening this scheduled Christmas holiday, when both are stopped! This is exactly what has happened during previous Christmas holidays. Cars are not being assembled during this two week holiday period, and there are no public tours.

I just verified this with someone who knows way more than I ever will. He noted that in addition to maintenance folks being around during this break, that security personnel are always there, and added something I had not thought of, that one positive aspect of this break (in addition to giving the workers time off after 5 1/2 months of overtime including many Saturdays), that this two weeks will give suppliers additonal time to get "more caught up."

·
Registered
873 Posts
Elegant, we're pretty much in agreement. I was just trying to let folks know that some of those 1 day blackouts were not holidays, but special product days. I certainly think those hard working guys at the plant deserve a good Christmas break.

Reactions: mjw930

·
Registered
19 Posts
that one positive aspect of this break (in addition to giving the workers time off after 5 1/2 months of overtime including many Saturdays), that this two weeks will give suppliers additonal time to get "more caught up."

Elegant, we can only hope that suppliers can catch up with orders, but I am pessimistically assuming that most suppliers are under the same UAW contracts, and therefore, schedules, and the only result is two weeks off the calendar...period!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes, on Friday, November 15th, the tours were stopped, while production was continuing-- probably because some special "product" was being assembled. That is correct.

However, that is not what is happening this scheduled Christmas holiday, when both are stopped! This is exactly what has happened during previous Christmas holidays. Cars are not being assembled during this two week holiday period, and there are no public tours.

I just verified this with someone who knows way more than I ever will. He noted that in addition to maintenance folks being around during this break, that security personnel are always there, and added something I had not thought of, that one positive aspect of this break (in addition to giving the workers time off after 5 1/2 months of overtime including many Saturdays), that this two weeks will give suppliers additonal time to get "more caught up."
Could it be a few zo6 mules...hmmm

·
Registered
55 Posts
My salesman called this AM, mine was built this week. He gave me the VIN No., the last five digits are 10879. Heading to 11,000 made! It sure is nice seeing Corvettes selling like hot cakes again!

·
Registered
317 Posts
My salesman called this AM, mine was built this week. He gave me the VIN No., the last five digits are 10879. Heading to 11,000 made! It sure is nice seeing Corvettes selling like hot cakes again!
With the market flooded they will be nothing special.Not looking foward to taking a hit on this car!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts