Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after mounting the new wheels and driving 200 miles, it was time to put some protection on them. Because they were new, I didn't have to use a wheel cleaner per se and went go straight to Carpro Hydrofoam which is a car shampoo with silicon dioxide plating infused in it. So using a microfiber glove, I just wet the wheel, sprayed it on and then agitated it with the glove, and rinsed it off.

Then while it's still wet, I just sprayed it with 8 to 10 spritzes of Hydro2, and sprayed it hard again, and even got more beading. Then dry with a microfiber waffle weave, each wheel was a total of three minutes. Even quicker would be to use a leaf blower, or just drive......

Now I'm protected against brake dust for three months, and I didn't really even bend over! I love these new SIO2 products.

Bottles- both diluted per the label. These little bottles from carpro are perfect for this application. It's a very short directed mist.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Question - if you use the Hydrofoam as the wash agent, would you still recommend the H20 on the wheels as a separate protection against brake dust? Or is that just more of the same?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Haven't tried the hydrofoam yet but the H2O is great stuff. If Glen recommends using both I'd go for it. I've been following his methods for some and he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a black/Z51 and the wheels are black but right now I don't what the name of them is. Will the sticker have that listed? Anyway will this work on mine and it does keep the dust off the wheels? Red Calipers

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Used Hyrdofoam to do my winter wheels today, before I put them away until Thanksgiving. I had treated the spokes with H20 previously, so they were fine, but the barrels were filthy, so I decided to wash them with wheel cleaner first. Was all out of my favorite iron-bonding wheel cleaner, so used a bottle of Back to Black "Extreme" wheel cleaner I had lying around. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, it did a half-***** job on the barrels, even using a nylon brush to scrub them.

Then I used a cheap micro-fiber to treat them with the Hyrdofoam. This stuff is AMAZING! Even just using the microfiber, it removed dirt the wheel cleaner left behind. The writing molded into the back of the spokes holds dirt like there is no tomorrow, and this stuff just washed it away, with no scrubbing at all. Used leaf blower to dry them off afterwards. I wish I hadn't wasted my time with the wheel cleaner. Never again!

I was going to apply the H20 afterwards, but the wheels felt as slippery with just the hydrofoam as they do after applying the H2O, so I didn't bother. Maybe I will before I put them on in the fall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts