Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While all car manufacturers introduce rolling changes/upgrades (changes introduced during the middle of a model year), there are also, in addition to new options and announced changes for each upcoming model year, the "behind the scenes" part changes we mostly never know about. How many "quiet" changes in a typical model year changeover? How many for the 2015 StingRay? No one outside GM will ever know. Many guess that model year changes typically come with 30-40 "shhh" changes. Here is the first, documented, 2015 quiet change (now, no longer quiet).

Thanks to "Todd M" for this picture.​

Is the "new for 2015 seat" simply a change of additional wiring "padding" or re-routing to deal with some pinched wire issues were previously learned about? Or, did GM listen to a fair amount of customer input that the bottom seat bolsters were too confining for some folks, thus they "sculpted"/widened the seat bottom cushions for 2015? Perhaps, now that this picture has surfaced, we will learn that answer.

However, how many other unannounced 2015 StingRay changes will we ever learn about? Manufacturers typically do not announce such changes, for once announced, for example (hypothetical), that "we just improved the material on the interior 'A' pillar"), every such change produces a run of calls, often complaints when the manufacturer refuses to make that change on every previous-year car.

While there are always strong advantages to getting a first year of a new model, there are also reasons why JD Power and Consumers Reports suggest (paraphrasing here), that they do not care whether it is a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari, we recommend waiting for the second year of a new model.

Let us use this thread to compile a list of "quiet" 2015 changes. First announced one, the 2015 seats are changed.

Others?

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
I have owned several first generation Corvettes and I have Sold Corvettes thru 4 Generation changes now...1968 (28,566 built) and 1984 (51,547 built) will go down in history as the most problematic new Generation Corvettes...the others were not so bad in comparison and the new 2014 Stingray (36,300 +/- built) is certainly light yrs ahead in every way possible. The Factory is always looking for different ways to create buzz and improve when and where necessary. In 2005 (37,372 built) the Corvette steering wheel was a tad too big and you couldn't read the pods on either side...change was made for the 2006. The 2005 had a 4spd Auto trans and the 2006 had the 6spd auto trans.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Interesting :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
They should use a pull up switch like the parking brake has for the hatch release in dash, that would prevent accidental opening when getting in /out of the car

Reactions: TNSQUIRE

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Woody; Make sure to give us some feedback on how those new seats feel? If possible (and you haven't yet) sit in a base 2014 seat then give us a comparative review.
Oh YES YES YES please do! Wish you didn't live so far away, as I'd for sure do the 'seat test' for you. :D I am actually one of those that had issues with the bottom seat cushion bolsters and have a custom made seat cushion wedge thing at the ready. However, IF they made the wings just a little less obnoxious in the bottom, then maybe I'll get to actually be able to feel my heat and AC blowing rather than covering that part of the seat with a cushion. Yeah!! (I can hope.)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Too bad I was just at the plant yesterday watching them build 2015's if I had known maybe I could have asked a few quiet questions on changes. :D

I did see one body panel painted the new orange but pretty hard to really give an opinion other than it didn't pop "orange". They just put up a chart with all the 2015 colors except one was missing, the orange.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very interesting! Hopefully that won't be an issue on track corners.

Looks like there is something going on with the Yellow velocity but not sure what. If one of you get to visit the plant can you grab some info ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
We are going to find out pretty soon now, but did you have any other insight on the "changes we will never know about" ? Do you have any guess ? I feel like a catch can would be great...

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
We are going to find out pretty soon now, but did you have any other insight on the "changes we will never know about" ? Do you have any guess ? I feel like a catch can would be great...
I don't think you will see a catch can, but I suspect there will be some upgrades in the electrical / infotainment component arena. We sure can hope that the exterior paint issues diminish, but that will be obvious to all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
May as well wait until the last year of the C7 before buying that way you get all the improvements.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Couple of new "'15 parts:"

The 8-speed automatic has a "ultimate acceleration pass" feature. If you are driving down a two-lane road, see an small opportunity to pass that motor home that is in front of you but driving way below the speed limit, has you trapped behind it, pull and hold the downshift paddle and it will take you down to the lowest gear that is safe for the transmission at your current speed, allowing you the maximum acceleration to get around the vehicle in front of you, to just accelerate as fast as you want, whenever and wherever you want.

The change in the 2015 seats that we learned about two weeks ago, has to do with providing a touch (about 1/3") more rear travel than in the 2014's (true of both the GT and comp seats).

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Couple of new "'15 parts:"

The 8-speed automatic has a "ultimate acceleration pass" feature. If you are driving down a two-lane road, see an small opportunity to pass that motor home that is in front of you but driving way below the speed limit, has you trapped behind it, pull and hold the downshift paddle and it will take you down to the lowest gear that is safe for the transmission at your current speed, allowing you the maximum acceleration to get around the vehicle in front of you, to just accelerate as fast as you want, whenever and wherever you want.

The change in the 2015 seats that we learned about two weeks ago, has to do with providing a touch (about 1/3") more rear travel than in the 2014's (true of both the GT and comp seats).
Very interesting John. I wonder it that 1/3" comes from a slightly different routing of the wiring related to the seats (remember so individuals had problems with it getting pinched with the seats all the way back).

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
...The 8-speed automatic has a "ultimate acceleration pass" feature. If you are driving down a two-lane road, see an small opportunity to pass that motor home that is in front of you but driving way below the speed limit, has you trapped behind it, pull and hold the downshift paddle and it will take you down to the lowest gear that is safe for the transmission at your current speed, allowing you the maximum acceleration to get around the vehicle in front of you, to just accelerate as fast as you want, whenever and wherever you want...
Looks like it operates just like an old school passing gear.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts