·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this gorgeous or what.........

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Convertible

Owned by Joseph Long, Viera, FL

The 1966 Sting Ray’s styling was very similar to the ’65’s, but there were some subtle changes. The Corvette “script” emblem was an elongated, more vertical style and was affixed to the hood and rear deck. The grille was now a plated, square mesh, cast unit. The roof B-pillar vents that had been both functional and non-functional in previous mid-year Corvettes (1964-1965) were now deleted. Another cool thing about the ’66? This was the intro year for the legendary 427!

Just the Facts
Base price: $4,295.00 (Coupe), $4,084 (Convertible)

Power: As in 1965, the high-winding 327 small-block was standard equipment. This engine came in a couple of different power ratings (depending on transmission choice, air injection reactor usage, air conditioning and power steering). Horsepower ratings were 300 and 350. The 396 was axed in favor of the new 427. The 427 came in 390 and 425 horsepower versions – again, depending on options. Carburetors for 1966 were all Holley – the Carter units were discontinued. ’66 Corvettes equipped with the 427 featured a special “bubble” hood that was first introduced on the ’65s packing the 396. The high performance, solid lifter 427 was initially rated at 450 hp, but was downgraded to 425 shortly after introduction.

• 1966 Sting Ray production included 9,958 coupes and 17,762 convertibles, for a total of 27,720 units that rolled out of St. Louis Assembly. That’s 4,156 more than the previous year.

• Seats were similar to the ’65’s, but featured additional pleats in the upper and lower sections for better weight distribution at the seams.

• Backup lights became standard equipment this year, incorporated into the rear inboard taillight housings.

• The fiberboard headliners that came on previous C2 models were replaced with vinyl-covered foam. Interior door pulls were bright metal. Headrests were optional for the first time.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Norm, that is a sweet looking ride, I would like to have that factory built 427 sitting in my 70 Camaro.

SF
Rick

Reactions: Norm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice car and info!
I would like to add that the 450 h.p. rating change was actually NOT a downgrade but rather just a re-rating of the EXACT same engine just at a lower rpm rating. ALL 1966 L72 engines are really 450 h.p. regardless of when in the model year they were produced. For this reason my mid model year L72 sports the 450 h.p. decal although not correct for the V.I.N. per NCRS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts