Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase an original 1967 dated L88 427 complete from carb to pan with the generator in the unopened crate it was delivered in back in the 1960's. Was wondering what would be an honest price to pay? It is supposed to have a CE stamp for warranty on it. Have not seen an invoice for it yet from Chevrolet but is supposed to be available.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This won't properly answer your question, but I thought it might be of interest in the L-88 history. I had just started working at O'Connor Chevrolet in Henrietta NY in 1974. I had a 1968 Z/28, so I was thrilled to be working around Chevy parts. I came across 3 pairs of aluminum L-88 heads, I told my boss the Parts Manager Ken in a very excited manner. He asked why are they good, I replied "these are used on Chevrolets most powerful engines", meaning the L-88 and ZL1 which I knew of. I also was smart enough, being a gear head the those engines specs easily made them more powerful than any tri-power. While looking around later that day found a full long block L-88 engine on the upstairs mezzanine. I again told my boss being so excited that we even had one. A few weeks later my boss Ken, told me, he had sold the engine to a local speed shop for $950, and greatly helped his inventory as that engine had been sitting around. My reward was, any parts I wanted would be at dealer cost. I remember buying an actual 6 quart Trans Am swing door baffled oil pan with windage tray for $35 that bolted right on my Z/28. I was happy. Today with 2 C2's in my garage I would love to roam those shelves picking up parts to stock up my at home inventory at those prices.

Reactions: rdslon01
1 - 2 of 2 Posts