Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 1971 Corvette with an LS6 intake, LS1 Cam, rotisserie restoration. Why is there such a gas smell in the garage I park it in? NOt a leak in this car anywhere. I am pretty sure the charcoal part of the evap system is not there. I got a new gas cap with rubber seal but didn't seem to help. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all, I have a 1971 Corvette with an LS6 intake, LS1 Cam, rotisserie restoration. Why is there such a gas smell in the garage I park it in? Not a leak in this car anywhere. I am pretty sure the charcoal part of the evap system is not there. I got a new gas cap with rubber seal but didn't seem to help. thanks
Had a similar problem with my 71. There is a vent at the top drivers side of the gas tank. Originally a rubber hose ran from the vent to the charcoal canister. A vacuum line from the engine to the canister pulled fumes from the tank to the canister. Over time the canister is removed or disconnected, the line plugged and the gas cap changed to a vented one. The plastic vent/valve at the tank cracked gas would get into the valve housing especially noticeable after a fill up. I could not find a replacement so sealed the line between the tank and the valve. The valve is 1 in the picture. There is a short hose from the tank to the valve. The acted as a roll over valve on non-vented tanks. Hard to see any leaks as the fuel lands on the muffler. I had to drop the tank to get fix my problem.
Dave
71 Convrt
15 Z51 coupe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts