Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I just signed up and hope I can get some help.

I have a 1980 Corvette with a 5.7 litre engine. When I am standing still in traffic and the car is in Neutral and my foot is on the brake, it keeps running without a problem. However, if it is in Drive and I have my foot on the brake the engine shuts off after a few minutes.

What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,331 Posts
I'm not an expert in this area but I believe the last year for the C3 Stingray was 1976?

·
Super Moderator
3,331 Posts
I made a correction to the title and your first post to prevent any confusion.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This sounds like the sort of thing that requires 'on the spot diagnosis'... you're sort of out of the scope of this forum (2014 and newer). Could be any (many) number of things... you're talking completely different animals... been MANY moons (decades), since I worked on an engine with a carbureator... choke, mixture, float level (sinking-sticking floats), jets, vacuum leaks... too many variables to diagnose from afar.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
What is the idle rpm? What is it supposed to be?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'd check the idle rpm's first, then for vacuum leaks including making sure the carburetor bolts are torqued. If they come loose it create's a vacuum. Then maybe the ignition timing. Good luck hopefully it's just the idle rpm's that need adjusted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts