Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know (for sure) when the 1st oil change should be done on a new C8?

The manual and one service technician I spoke with said 7,500 miles. Yet another technician as well as a few of my friends thought 500 miles. Then I've read elsewhere that changing oil in less than 7,500 mile intervals is a waste as long as you are using the recommended Mobile One oil.

Sorry but now I'm confused.

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
It is a bit confusing. In reviewing the manual, there is no early oil change indicated (like there was with the C7 Z51). It appears that the first change is when the oil life indicator says to change it.

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, that is what I meant. According to what I've been told, the oil percentage indicator will vary depending on your driving up to about 7,500 miles.

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
No issues. Another interesting bit of guidance per the 2020 Owners Manual is that the oil level is recommended to be checked at every fill up or 400 miles. As you know, but other might not, the oil is to be checked only when the engine is warm and checked while the engine is running.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’m old school. I have all my new cars motor oil changed at 1500 miles to get the break in debris out early. Perhaps overkill for the new synthetics but shouldn’t hurt. I also did a Blackstone oil analysis just for baseline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Every new motor I’ve ever had, my first oil change is at 500 miles to purge any metal shavings and assembly lube. After that what ever floats your boat.

Enjoy - you’re a lucky man, light traffic and a new C8! Can it get any better?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would advise sticking with the owner manual. Many new engines come with oil additives from the factory to assist in "break-in" if there is such a thing now a-days. If you remove that oil with the additives you may be doing more harm than good. Do what the manufacturer says and always use a good quality oil and filter when you change it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wow Mobil 1 the factory fill has a special initial oil formula? Not sure about that. Need some backup on that one. An oil change at 500 miles wont hurt anything it just drains metal shavings and assembly lube out. Personally I always add a magnetic drain plug To my vehicles..

Follow Rule 1: Do what makes you feel comfortable at a minimum change oils as recommended or more frequent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts