Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More sad news, for another StingRay was just totaled, and yes, this is in addition to the one we learned about yesterday! Here is the latest one destroyed, and again thankfully the owner walked away from this one too.


corvetteblogger said:
There’s little doubt that today’s Corvette is much stronger and safer than previous generations. Like most modern cars, the Corvette Stingray has predetermined crumple zones that absorb the energy of an impact while the cockpit’s front and side airbags deploy to help protect the driver. And after all that happens, OnStar is there to call emergency services as soon as a crash is detected.

The picture of this crashed Arctic White Corvette Stingray comes from a poster on reddit.com. His comments are brief but to the point:

So I totaled my Vette yesterday. I walked away without a scratch. I am so grateful to Chevy for building such a solid car. I felt so protected, even as it flipped. Thankful to be alive.

We’re thankful that driver is okay as well. Flipping around inside a car has to be a terrifying experience but knowing that the car will not only protect you during the crash, but will help after the fact by calling for help is great piece of mind.
We know that the owner of the previous totaled one had disengaged the traction control and another safety system. Do not know whether this owner had done something similar, was driving too fast for conditions, or someone blew a stop sign and he/she was an innocent bystander, etc. What we do know is that the StingRay has within 1% the torque of the C6 Z06. In other words, the StingRay has massive power that we need to respect!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,491 Posts
Yikes (again!!!). :eek: So glad to read the driver walked away without a scratch. Since this very much reads like an ad for OnStar, I think this may not be a recent crash, but rather a recent posting. Unless the driver uses a different handle on our forum than he did there, he is apparently not a member of our forum. But your point is well taken elegant, just because our Stingrays are so easy to drive under normal circumstances without concern for the tail breaking away, it is possible to become lulled into thinking it will be a piece of cake to stomp on the accelerator and enjoy unleashing the 460 HP. All the more reason the Ron Fellows Performance course for our Stingrays should be something everyone does shortly after getting their Vette. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
As I read elegant's comments about respecting the C7 power and torque, I know the minute I drove the first mile in my C7 it was definitely not the same as my 2007 C6 base. Even after 6000 miles I'm considerably more cautious. At my performance driving level I believe this Vette could get out of control pretty easy.

Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
As I read elegant's comments about respecting the C7 power and torque, I know the minute I drove the first mile in my C7 it was definitely not the same as my 2007 C6 base. Even after 6000 miles I'm considerably more cautious. At my performance driving level I believe this Vette could get out of control pretty easy.

Michael
If the computer controls are left active and not disabled this car will help you keep in control, as long as the driver remains within his or her own skill level. Of course the public roadways are not the place to be testing the limits of either car or driver. I think the best performance modification a C7 owner can make is to their own skill level by attending a high performance driving school such as the Ron Fellows school. Kudos to GM for making this an affordable option to C7 owners.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
631 Posts
If the computer controls are left active and not disabled this car will help you keep in control, as long as the driver remains within his or her own skill level. Of course the public roadways are not the place to be testing the limits of either car or driver. I think the best performance modification a C7 owner can make is to their own skill level by attending a high performance driving school such as the Ron Fellows school. Kudos to GM for making this an affordable option to C7 owners.
Agreed. These cars are amazingly safe and have features one would only expect on a supercar costing many times what the Stingray does.

Respect the car and its abilities, and turning off the "nanny's" be ready to react (and not over react).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
Yes.... The power and torque of the new C7 is nothing to disrespect, particularly on the street. I saw some YouTube videos of individuals in previous generation Corvette's pile them up for no good reason other than showing off in front of crowds. Just because the car has the capabilities doesn't mean you have to us it unwisely or in excess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Yes.... The power and torque of the new C7 is nothing to disrespect, particularly on the street. I saw some YouTube videos of individuals in previous generation Corvette's pile them up for no good reason other than showing off in front of crowds. Just because the car has the capabilities doesn't mean you have to us it unwisely or in excess.
With lots of power comes lots of responsibilities :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,656 Posts
I learned restraint 20+ years ago driving a juiced 930. In it's day it was the fasted thing on the road and in a blink it could swap ends. No traction control, 40/60 weight distribution, 2960 lbs and 350 HP that came on in a hurry once the turbo spooled up. The C7, even with TC turned off is a piece of cake as long as you have control of your right foot and half a brain. I love cars that can be driven with both the hands and feet and the car can be rotated with a lot of precision if you know what you are doing. Mind you I keep it in Sport or Track mode 2 on the street, I'm not an idiot ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: elegant

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of us think we are better then we really are!
So true. I love that when a random study of American drivers asked them to rate their driving ability, 80% said "excellent." Guess many of the remaining 20% like to drive real near where I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
So true. I love that when a random study of American drivers asked them to rate their driving ability, 80% said "excellent." Guess many of the remaining 20% like to drive real near where I am.
John, you too? I thought they were all down here.......... LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,930 Posts
I'm glad to read the driver walked away! We can buy another Vette, but we can't replace you or I

SF
Rick
 
  • Like
Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
John, you too? I thought they were all down here.......... LOL
That 20% really gets arounds. Toronto is made up of most of them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mobius and elegant

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
First off let me say im Glad they are ok. Is the owner here on this forum? I would be interested in buying this car depending on the price.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,491 Posts
First off let me say im Glad they are ok. Is the owner here on this forum? I would be interested in buying this car depending on the price.
To our knowledge this was not owned by one of our members and further, since it reads like an OnStar ad anticipate that it occurred awhile ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
20% wow. There's one in 5 cars driving around you that say THEMSELVES they are subpar. People tend to over rate themselves, so they are probably worse than that. Especially when driving Lucille, I look at other vehicles on the road like they may intentionally do something stupid at any moment. Take a little bit of fun out of driving. It was great driving around on the 4th yesterday afternoon. There was hardly any traffic, it was so nice and relaxing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Reportedly stolen in Maryland and hit a curb at 150 mph. Perpetrator survived...C7 did not. :(

10382012_761083987245902_978585656562551378_n.jpg
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top