Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a purchase in late 2014 and have been online the last few days configuring the car in various ways. I plan for the car to be my daily driver and it will never be tracked or anything like that. I'm not rich by any means, and this is my first Corvette purchase. I want to order what I want and have the wife's permission to do so, but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily either. When I first configured I was using the 1LTZ51 and had pretty much decided that was the way to go, but once I started looking at the 2LT options, decided I really wanted the HUD, heated seats and better color interior options. I guess my question would be, am I screwing the pooch and short changing myself if I don't get the Z51 package? Is the ride in the C7 more comfortable without the Z51 package? If I was to get the Z51 package would I need to get the Magnetic Ride System to make the ride comparable to a C7 without Z51 (assuming it is better without it)? Also I would really like a performance exhaust, but how loud is it at idle, accelerating, cruising at highway speeds, etc.? Does it drone at highway speeds? I like a fairly loud exhaust and love the rumble, but my wife is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids. They amplify sound quite a bit and she will not be happy if she can't ride in the car because it is too loud. Does the performance exhaust sound fairly normal when just driving normally vs. "getting on it"? Thanks for the info, I want to get this right the first time, because I plan on this being the last car I buy for myself. (getting ready for retirement) I'm assuming that the Z51 package is more for the guy who wants to autocross the car. I'm not losing anything performance wise for a daily driver?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congratulations for asking a sensible question. Buying a Corvette is a major decision especially in "money dept". I have owned Corvettes in several configurations. A 2008 coupe, Z51, a 2009 coupe non-Z51, a 2009 Callaway SC580, a 2010 ZR1, and a 2011 Callaway SC606. Friday I pick up my 2014 Premier Edition 3LT/Z51. As you can see, I've owned a number of Corvette's both in a basic setup and several Z51/Supercharged cars. My advice to you based on the fact that you say you'll never track the car, is get the 2LT version. I've driven the new Stingray in it's basic configuration and it's a mighty sweet ride. No stiff suspension, no loud exhaust. Just pure driving please. It's still a sportscar, and will outperform most other cars on the road.

The money you save by not getting the Z51 package will give the money for other goodies. Maybe move up to the 3LT package. The HUD comes in every model, 2LT & up.

That's my .02 cents worth. Don't buy what you don't need.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm planning a purchase in late 2014 and have been online the last few days configuring the car in various ways. I plan for the car to be my daily driver and it will never be tracked or anything like that. I'm not rich by any means, and this is my first Corvette purchase. I want to order what I want and have the wife's permission to do so, but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily either. When I first configured I was using the 1LTZ51 and had pretty much decided that was the way to go, but once I started looking at the 2LT options, decided I really wanted the HUD, heated seats and better color interior options. I guess my question would be, am I screwing the pooch and short changing myself if I don't get the Z51 package? Is the ride in the C7 more comfortable without the Z51 package? If I was to get the Z51 package would I need to get the Magnetic Ride System to make the ride comparable to a C7 without Z51 (assuming it is better without it)? Also I would really like a performance exhaust, but how loud is it at idle, accelerating, cruising at highway speeds, etc.? Does it drone at highway speeds? I like a fairly loud exhaust and love the rumble, but my wife is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids. They amplify sound quite a bit and she will not be happy if she can't ride in the car because it is too loud. Does the performance exhaust sound fairly normal when just driving normally vs. "getting on it"? Thanks for the info, I want to get this right the first time, because I plan on this being the last car I buy for myself. (getting ready for retirement) I'm assuming that the Z51 package is more for the guy who wants to autocross the car. I'm not losing anything performance wise for a daily driver?
Same question I asked myself and same driving scenario. I'm also a recent retiree. I think you can accomplish all that you want without going to the Z51 and going with a 2LT, with the optional exhaust system. If you are an "interior" kind of family, then the 3LT may be worthwhile. I went with the 2LT, with Nav, and optional exhaust. From reading all the great input from some of the very knowledgeable folks on this forum, I think you'll find that the optional exhaust provides the operational flexibility that will make both you and your Mrs. quite satisfied. I'm hoping that my vehicle will be released within a week or so. The more you read the reviews, personal and professional, the more intense the anticipation. All in all, I totatlly agree with the prior poster... don't get what you don't need or won't use.

Reactions: Clarkster

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My $.02 even as a base model no nothing option car it's outstanding so giving up the Z51 in your case will not effect the overall experience and thrill of owning one of these great cars. I would guess 70% of Z51 owners will never even use it, in many cases we order because it's just cool to have. The exhaust is louder only if you want it too be and even so won't be bad as GM does have to meet noise requirements. It sounds like a 2LT non-Z51 would be a much better choice for you. Z51 doesn't effect performance it's designed as you mention is mostly around track use not day to day driving.

Also as your first Corvette welcome to the club, once bitten you'll never leave. I would also recommend joining a local Corvette club to make the experience that much better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great question. I wrestled with the same decision before I ordered a 2LT coupe with A6. I'm currently on my third Corvette, a 2010 Grand Sport coupe M6, which is basically the Z51 with the wide body. I love it! And I have tracked it. The other two I owned, a C4 A6 and a C5 A6 were not Z51's. I semi-retired earlier this year and this C7 may be my last Corvette, so I plan to keep it for a while. What I am after is a touring sportscar with as much comfort possible. The non Z51 2LT gives me that. And I want as low of maintenance costs as possible. The difference in price for oil changes and tires between non Z51 and Z51 is not huge, but it is a factor long term. I think that the 2LT is a great package for the price. I have no experience with the NPP exhaust, so cannot comment. Wishing you the best with which ever you select.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got z51 for the bigger tires and black wheels
Will use on track as well.
The track thing will b new for me...
Always wanted to try this.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
445 Posts
Attend a Performance Driving School
Got z51 for the bigger tires and black wheels
Will use on track as well.
The track thing will b new for me...
Always wanted to try this.
Any suggestions?

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I went through the same decision process and although I haven't ordered yet here's the conclusion I came to.

I came up with a list of items I wanted:

Memory package (2 drivers)
Adjustable lumbar
Heated/Cooled seats
Premium audio
Sirius/XM
Nav
Anti theft system
Z51
Magnetic Ride
Performance exhaust
7 Speed manual

I then set about optioning out the car.
With the 1LT package I can get Mag Ride, Performance exhaust and Nav but I cannot order the rest of the features I want. It priced out at $58,580, not too shabby but the lack of the memory package and heated / cooled seats, premium audio and Sirius/XM makes it a non starter.
With the 2LT package I get everything I want with a few extra items I could care less about such as HUD, extra color panels, universal remote, auto dimming mirrors or luggage nets but I'm not adverse to these items either and none of them add much to the overall price except maybe the HUD. It priced out at $62,790 or $4210 more. A bit pricy for the options but worth it to me.
The only thing in the 3LT package I consider desirable is the Nav. Everything else that's part of the package is meaningless to me. It priced out at $65790, another $3000 for features I don't want.

When I finally order it will most likely be a Cyber Gray, Gray Interior, 7 Speed 2LT with Magnetic Ride, Performance Exhaust and Navigation. $62,790 MSRP but hopefully bought with GMS pricing after the first of the year closer to $58,000.

However, if Z51's are still constrained but GMS pricing is opened up I may consider a 3LT or just wait and order a 2015. I won't be in the market till February at the earliest anyway so a lot can change.

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
Hello greggshere and welcome to our forum! I can answer some of your questions. I purchased a 2LT with the performance exhaust and nav. My RedHot will never be tracked (those days were long ago :) ) so the added dry sump of the Z51 doesn't come into play for me, and I seriously prefer the lines coming off of the rear hatch with the regular base tail as compared to the Z51 which IMO truncates the lines and beauty of the Stingray back. The Z51 ride for a daily driver for most people is not comfortable enough unless you also get the mag system, while the base ride (Non Z51) is very comfortable day in and day out. I have about 2300 miles on mine in just under two weeks. My wife and I took a drive of about two hours at mostly expressway speeds this weekend and she commented that the ride was so good and interior so comfortable, that perhaps we should take RedHot when we go from Vegas to Albuquerque instead of SilverFox, my XTS. I was surprised. By the way, I have my performance exhaust system set to be always on but when you reach cruising it gets very quiet until you step on it. Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and enlightening information and suggestions. That is exactly what I needed to hear and pretty much what I thought. I will be looking at the 2LT without Z51. ON the exhaust, it sounds like exactly what I want. I'm a bit confused though, one of you made it sound like it is adjustable? The 2LT pretty much has everything I want on it. so that's the one I'll be looking to purchase in late 2014. Now the hard part, deciding on the color, I'm leaning heavily on red, because it just looks so hot, and I've never owned a red car before. Now I just will sit back and learn all I can from everybody and enjoy the forum.

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
My thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and enlightening information and suggestions. That is exactly what I needed to hear and pretty much what I thought. I will be looking at the 2LT without Z51. ON the exhaust, it sounds like exactly what I want. I'm a bit confused though, one of you made it sound like it is adjustable? The 2LT pretty much has everything I want on it. so that's the one I'll be looking to purchase in late 2014. Now the hard part, deciding on the color, I'm leaning heavily on red, because it just looks so hot, and I've never owned a red car before. Now I just will sit back and learn all I can from everybody and enjoy the forum.
The performance exhaust is adjustable. You can go into your settings preferences and either set it to be always on (as I have) or have it basically controlled by the overall mode you are in (Weather, Eco, Tour, Sport and Track). If you do the later the mode sets up some presets for the exhaust. You can also change it on the fly. As to colors, that is truly a personal thing. I happen to love the Torch Red with Adrenaline Red 2LT interior (just the right amount of red for my tastes including red stitching on the dash, top door panels, and steering wheel- I have posted pictures elsewhere). Many of the colors are beautiful on the C7, especially in person and in full sun, but I feel that the Torch Red really shows off the C7 lines under almost any lighting conditions- I did not find that for other colors. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is good to find a thread where everyone is trying to help. You are looking at what I have. I already had 2 red corvettes (arrest me red) and this time I picked NRB. it is an elegant color. I have an automatic and NPP exhaust. Yes, it is quiet when you want it to be but you have several choices of loudness if you choose. I originally tried to order the Z51 but didn't want to wait so I've enjoyed several weeks of driving before poor weather (we're getting snow tonight). I would not have used the added potential of the Z51 and don't see where I'll miss it. Also, that will give me an excuse to trade up later if I want.

You want Red. Go for it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure if it was pointed out in this thread, but the weight delta between non-Z51 and Z51 cars appears to be ~60#.
S.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dude, don't be mistaken GET THE Z51 Package it is sweet...you will wish you did. Here's my story..ordered a 2lt non Z car,thought I could get it with the Black wheels...my dealer submitted the order and the Z51 package came with it automatically...when I saw the car next to the nonZ car I was SOOOOOO glad I ended up with the Z car...it is spectacular and worth all ot the extra dough...Im just sayin :cool:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ordered the z51
What do u mean it looks different...
Outside? Or inside

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Other than the drilled rotors and them being bigger, bigger wheels and tires and the spoiler, I don't think they look any different from what I can tell. Nah, I've pretty much written off the Z51 package, as I won't really utilize it, and I can apply that expense toward the 2LT and those options I want, power lumbar, heated seats, a little more interior color and choice, etc.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does the removable roof stow away in the cargo area when you have it out? In other words if I'm out on a nice day driving and decide I want it off, can I pull over, remove it and put it in the cargo area without an issue, then continue on down the road? Probably a stupid question, but if you don't know, ask?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts