Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - Friday driving into work at a brisk 40mph... My 2014 C7 suddenly started sputtering and losing power. Pulled over into a shopping plaza just in time before I lost all steering. The car would try to start, but would not run. Called my onstar cyber person who called for a tow vehicle back to the dealer (finally got to use this blue button thing I am paying $20/month for).

According to the dealer, a valve split on one of the cylinders and shattered spewing metal all over inside the engine rendering it dead. So at 9400 miles, I get a new engine. Apparently shipping the old one back to Chevy for failure analysis and building a new one in Detroit and shipping it down to the Florida dealer for install. I have to say, having major reservations as to the outcome of a dealer installed engine... But hey, not much better luck from the factory or maybe the supplier of these valves... Who knows - but expecting 4+ weeks for the entire process... Gad... Really!!!!

I took delivery of this special-order monster on May 10th, 2014 after waiting 5 months for them to build it. Then, within the first month, they had to replace the radiator... Now a new engine a few months later! What next?!?! No mods or changes - it was as it was delivered from the factory.

This is a LT3 Z51 package with all the goodies - apparently including a few gremlins... Anyway - frustrated is an understatement... Bla Bla Bla... yadda, poooo... Ok, so I've said worse... But this is a family channel....

So now I have read of other engine failures similar to this on the C7.. Not sure if I will ever get the exact details from Chevy... but DAMN!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Did you have the engine overheat with that bad radiator?

The down time for the engine replacement sucks... we feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
As one who is picking up a new C7 in 4 days all I can I feel so sorry for you. I hope this setback doesn't deminish your joy you had when drove it the first time. Hopefully after you get her back and you've put some distance between these trying times you'll get that joy back.

May the days go by swiftly during this wait

Gus

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still an amazing and fun car to drive. Not lost hope or excitement for the vehicle... Just mechanically quality-wise, has not been what I had expected from Chevy, especially for their flagship performance vehicle.

·
Registered
996 Posts
LT1's are built at the Tonawanda Engine Plant in Buffalo, NY.

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
That's a bummer. There are 10's of thousands of these cars out there, as you know, but you rarely hear of what you have been going through. I would hope all your trials and tribulations are taken care of and not one penny out of your pocket should leave.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Sorry to hear about this...best wishes!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sorry you had the failure man, that really sucks. On the bright side, at least we have warranties and now you will have a Brand New engine! Now you have to do the break in thing all over again, just like a new car again! I definitely understand your concern about the dealer installing it though. I hope it all goes smoothly for you. I wish you good luck and no further issues. Our cars were probably built about the same time, as I picked mine up just a couple of days before you did yours.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
dsliman, hate to read the bad news, radiator, and now the motor. I hope that the dealer is treating you right and keeping you informed of everything that will take place to get your C7 squared away. Shoot them dam gremlins, it can be a pain in the six to have your HotRod go down.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
So - Friday driving into work at a brisk 40mph... My 2014 C7 suddenly started sputtering and losing power. Pulled over into a shopping plaza just in time before I lost all steering. The car would try to start, but would not run. Called my onstar cyber person who called for a tow vehicle back to the dealer (finally got to use this blue button thing I am paying $20/month for).

According to the dealer, a valve split on one of the cylinders and shattered spewing metal all over inside the engine rendering it dead. So at 9400 miles, I get a new engine. Apparently shipping the old one back to Chevy for failure analysis and building a new one in Detroit and shipping it down to the Florida dealer for install. I have to say, having major reservations as to the outcome of a dealer installed engine... But hey, not much better luck from the factory or maybe the supplier of these valves... Who knows - but expecting 4+ weeks for the entire process... Gad... Really!!!!

I took delivery of this special-order monster on May 10th, 2014 after waiting 5 months for them to build it. Then, within the first month, they had to replace the radiator... Now a new engine a few months later! What next?!?! No mods or changes - it was as it was delivered from the factory.

This is a LT3 Z51 package with all the goodies - apparently including a few gremlins... Anyway - frustrated is an understatement... Bla Bla Bla... yadda, poooo... Ok, so I've said worse... But this is a family channel....

So now I have read of other engine failures similar to this on the C7.. Not sure if I will ever get the exact details from Chevy... but DAMN!
ds; Sorry to read about this! Had there been any new noise / sounds from the engine that caught your attention as being odd, but within the normal noise range of the engine before it ate that valve?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There really was no warning or weird sounds. The Dealer pulled a full report of the engine at the time of failure (just to be sure I didn't do anything wonky), I was traveling at a hair raising speed of 35MPH! They of course verified no mods were made to the car or computer. Thinking back, I did recall hearing a very faint funny little tingy sound for the last week, maybe like a pulley wheel needed a little lubricant, but nothing really noticeable that would cause a concern.

The dealer is treating me well and taking care of everything. So now I wait...

·
Registered
19 Posts
OP I feel your pain! My 2014 C7 needed a new torque tube after 6k miles. At 9 or 10k the symptoms returned and GM did not want to replace it again because they didn't think it was severe enough of a problem and knew they did not have a new torque tube design yet so the same problem would likely occur. At 12k my engine died while on a major highway... stalling and unable to restart. After towing to Chevy, I got the call that the engine is dead and needs replacement. Metal shavings found throughout the engine. While I appreciate the quick response on ordering a new engine, I have my doubts regarding a service shop installed engine. Need to decide on next steps but clearly a lemon.

I seriously feel as if the only reason we are not seeing more of these types of reports is because most Vette owners do not drive their cars. Car and Driver magazine's engine died at 6k!

·
Registered
307 Posts
.....and replace with a new one of course. The problem is that there are no more cyber grey ones. I'm not a big fan of the shark grey vs cyber which is beautiful

·
Registered
183 Posts
dsliman, really sad to see that. Is your car an auto or std?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts