·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Awesome!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I was watching and thinking that on a lift one could perhaps gain enough access to R&R the grille once the lower cover is out of the way.

Put it on the lift and pulled the lower cover to take a look. No way, bumper cover must be removed. Oh we'll, tomorrow is another day.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Thanks for posting this great DIY thread! I removed Vettnessa's retainer. ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1430888731.383382.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1430888758.685440.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1430888806.799912.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
IMG_0638.JPG

Did mine last weekend and I was chicken to mess up my car even with Jeremy's great video. I took some video of areas not in Jeremy's video that I think will be helpful to those hesitant to try this. If I can figure out how to edit the videos I will post them. But here are a few things I learned.

One person can do this. I did using painter's tape to hold things on one side while working the other side.
Jeremy's video has all the bolts covered perfectly. Just remember what goes where so you can put them back. I used separate bowls to keep them sorted.
The left front side marker little white slide to remove the connector is on the forward side of the clip. Not facing you. Start with right side marker and you will not have a problem because it faces you on that side. But if you do have trouble finding the slide the side markers come out easily with 3 squeeze tabs so you can remove the wire more easily with the marker off if you can't get it released.
The bumper comes off easily except for the clips between the headlight and the engine compartment. One of those clips can be seen and released from the engine compartment with a small screw driver. I think the remaining clip release may vary from person to person, car to car. Trying to release it using a small screw driver or just pulling did not work for me. What did was using plastic trim tools and a microfiber towel. One under from the engine compartment and another between the headlight and the bumper cover above or on the side. It slowly released without having to risk damaging my paint or Xpel with a metal tool. Piece of cake once you do it. You may have to raise the loose end of the bumper a bit for the second side to pop up. I just lifted it a bit with tape.
The bumper cover is really light weight. So you can easily remove it with one person in the middle.
Removing the OEM grill the clips release using a small screwdriver from the grill side. The top center clip is larger and releases the same way and is not done using fingers.
Once you put the new grill on make sure to put the 2 screws back in that secures it to the bumper cover. A dummy in Colorado that looks exactly like me forgot and had to remove the bumper twice! Piece of cake the second time though.
I installed a RaceMesh grill. So I had to cut a small amount of wire out where the silver clips go on either end of the grill. Used wire cutters. Easy.
Putting the bumper back on is pretty easy. It just snaps back in place. Just remember what Jeremy says about those tabs below the head lights. Maybe put a towel over the ends to make sure you don't scratch the fender with the ends of the bumper.
I didn't but if your bumper cover is not even with the fender before you take the bumper cover off this is your chance to adjust it. Those clips between the headlight and engine compartment are adjustable.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Thanks for those additional insights C7 *******. Looks great :cool:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Actually when I posted the picture the grill blurred somehow? Looks great in person.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Actually when I posted the picture the grill blurred somehow? Looks great in person.
It is not blurred on my computer even when I blow it up. The grill lines are sharp and clear.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thanks for the great video, Jeremy.

I just purchased this grill, and now feel more confident in making this a DIY project.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If not done by Christmas....I'm off all that week.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It finally stopped raining here, so I could take some photos in the daylight.

5FEF72BB-32AF-4471-91A9-E5EDC437353E.jpeg
6898E950-37E0-41C0-8C29-D5767F97FC6A.jpeg
D7754CFA-5304-40B6-A65F-6B7A1219BA80.jpeg
EB58FF6F-2EA5-419B-9DB3-C1DA9C6E282D.jpeg

Reactions: CAB6
21 - 33 of 33 Posts