Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 corvette needs "torque tube" replaced but dealer cannot get one anywhere.

I've had a mostly troublefree ownership of a 2014 Corvette Stingray since Oct 2013. Recently however I started hearing a rattling noise from undercarriage anytime the engine idles. It was fairly loud and noticeable to anyone nearby...and the sound would go away once I being to accelerate.

The dealership agreed there was problem and after working on car and consulting with other GM experts they agreed the problem was the torque tube. That was over 2 weeks ago. Since that time my car has been parked at the dealership as they try to get this part from other dealerships or from GM, but nobody has them and it doesnt look like they will be getting one any time soon. The only one they found so far had a hold on it already from someone else, and apparently the factory where Stingrays are assembled only have enough on hand for the cars they are assembling. The dealership indicated it may come down to GM having to place order to part manufacturer to build this part for me and no idea how long that will take.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with GM service on this new car? It seems that if GM plans to provide warranty service for a vehicle, they should be manufacturing enough spare parts to satisfy service requests rather than having cars sit in service center for weeks waiting on parts that dont exist.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having problems, my Stingray is currently being fixed for the same issue. I just made a post in another thread addressing my experience with my faulty Torque Tube.

I originally took my stingray in for diagnosing during the first week od August. I returned home with my car and continued to drive it another 600 miles While I waited for the new torque tube to come in. It took exactly 3 weeks for the new part, so don't give up hope it will come in.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Brian, your car was an early build based on your statement that you received it in October 2013. The failure rate on torque tubes was higher for the early builds.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your developments!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Would you mind sharing your vin#…I have and early car delivered in September ..current mileage 13,560. no rattling or other issues at this time. My vin# is 1313

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My vin is over 3200. My car is just now reaching 4000 miles...I have a second car I use for hauling and other miles to keep the vette with lower miles.

As for hitting 13k with no similar issue....is your Stingray manual transmission or automatic?

I have done some further reading on these torque tube problems and found suggests that it is due to larger vibrations that occur when car is in 4-cylinder mode for the Active Fuel Management (AFM) system. I think manual transmission stingray is only using AFM when you have selector set to econo mode. But Automatic transmission stingrays use AFM in ALL modes (a statement from GM confirms this) until you either accelerate enough that it needs 8 cylinders, or you use the paddle shifters. Given the above suspicion that the issue is a side effect of higher vibrations in 4-cyl mode, it matches my observation that the loud rattling only occurrs when car is idling (in any gear or in park) but not when accellerating or driving at speed.

I noticed the original person who reported this also noted issue was only when car was idling. Given that the AFM system is only saving me a couple of MPG on highway, is there any way to just disable it in all modes on the Stingray so an automatic will use 8 cyl at all times? If AFM truly is the cause, and since I have an automatic where it used all the time, I'd like to avoid a future history of additional failures for this part.

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
My vin is over 3200. My car is just now reaching 4000 miles...I have a second car I use for hauling and other miles to keep the vette with lower miles.

As for hitting 13k with no similar issue....is your Stingray manual transmission or automatic?

I have done some further reading on these torque tube problems and found suggests that it is due to larger vibrations that occur when car is in 4-cylinder mode for the Active Fuel Management (AFM) system. I think manual transmission stingray is only using AFM when you have selector set to econo mode. But Automatic transmission stingrays use AFM in ALL modes (a statement from GM confirms this) until you either accelerate enough that it needs 8 cylinders, or you use the paddle shifters. Given the above suspicion that the issue is a side effect of higher vibrations in 4-cyl mode, it matches my observation that the loud rattling only occurrs when car is idling (in any gear or in park) but not when accellerating or driving at speed.

I noticed the original person who reported this also noted issue was only when car was idling. Given that the AFM system is only saving me a couple of MPG on highway, is there any way to just disable it in all modes on the Stingray so an automatic will use 8 cyl at all times? If AFM truly is the cause, and since I have an automatic where it used all the time, I'd like to avoid a future history of additional failures for this part.
Brian to my knowledge the V4 AFM is not active if you are sitting idling. If you look at the indicator you will see that you are in V8 at idle regardless of setting.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Brian, if you put the transmission in manual mode, AFM will be disabled.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Is it correct that, on an automatic transmission car, the torque tube is continuously turning at engine speed? If so, I can foresee how it could be troublesome.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The transmission is in the back of the car, just forward of the differential. So, yes.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Will be interesting to see exactly what is failing on these....torque tube is simple in design, and only a few things can be happening. But I doubt GM will allow the dealer to disassemble so we can see exactly what happened. GM will want to inspect as it comes out. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I am sure sorry to see this TT issue re-emerge. Let's hope that each of your service depts. can replace this unit without having the serious issues that the early owners with this problem experienced. Keep us posted on their progress and good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dropped my car off a month ago for a rattle that sounded like crank bearings @ idle , dealer called me 2 days later & advised me it was a torque tube,so I figured it would be a week or 2, I called after 2nd week of no calls from dealer telling me that the part is on a spat case & no 1 has parts available in USA , that the parts were in transit to warehouse that supply's dealer with there parts , & it could be another week be for the parts lands & another week be for they inventory the parts & fill orders,i offered to pick the part up to save a week of delivery time , only to find out the part is 40 miles from me & u would think they would deliver the part the same day no they can't pick the parts up I have to wait more time,I live in michigan how many months do they think I can drive the car??? what a joke my car has less than 1,000 miles, u would think the dealer would be more attentive,I know when I bring my wife's range rover in for service I have a rental car same or equivalent model & they jump to get your car back ASAP, this is 2014 you can get a part for anything shipped in days & if this tube is a problem wtf is the hold up??? I will deal with radio reception being shitty & ect
These dealers & there service depts have no knowledge of that car & or warranty issues ,gm has no business selling that expensive of a car with a dealer & service dept like a lawn mower store , If I wanted shitty treatment I would have bought a mustang for 20k less

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
If you are having a problem with their service there, do you think it would make a difference if you were to take your car to a different dealership?

·
Registered
137 Posts
These issues are killing me. I'm wondering if my video I posted under engine knock was/is torque tube issue. It faded over the course of the week and is so intermittent now that you have to let it sit idle and wait and wait to pick up one little knock/tap. Dealer heard the video, didn't say anything! and then couldn't hear it started and was left to idle. So no clue what was or still is a problem but I'm sure it will shine its head again...we'll see

1 question and an observation though:

Do manuals have torque tubes?

And one thing I have noticed from when I first bought the car is afm/Eco mode has be intermittently problematic. Sometimes it is smooth, other times it clunks hard when switching. Around that time it seemed to be clunking more often on this 3 hr trip I took. I've since just stopped using it. Highway or not, I don't use Eco mode bc I feel it is just causing or will cause the car issues. Don't know if that tied into my issue or not but don't think it would have faded over time of not using Eco mode if it was the torque tube. But again, mine only made that sound I posted at idle, and it didn't matter what mode car was it. Seemed to also go away completely when car was warmed up even at idle.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Belt tensioner issues also are showing up in ECO mode. It could be that or the torque tube (or both). Where is your noise coming from, exactly?

Keep using ECO, and let the part fail. Then you will get rid of the sick one you have, a get a new one replaced under warranty.

Yes, manuals do have torque tubes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2014 corvette needs "torque tube" replaced but dealer cannot get one anywhere.

My C7 is an automatic , VIN #29601 and started to rattle at 1,700 miles. Took it to the dealer and the technician verified it was the torque tube . Initially , the rattle wasn't bad but got very load after 50 more miles. One week later the service manager cannot find the part . After reading the comments on this forum , I'm convinced it will be awhile before my car is repaired. I can't blame my dealer Les Stanford but do blame GM for not addressing this issue . Especially when they knew this problem existed and have not addressed this issue on subsequent builds like mine and can't supply dealers with parts to repair our defective vehicles!! I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH GM!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I've got a question.... It's understandable that you'll find torque tubes in both manuals AND automatics because they are used as the result of the transmissions being relocated to the rear for weight distribution purposes and bolt directly to the third member (Rear-end). So, the torque tube kinda takes the place of the driveshaft,which it isn't called that anymore. Now, if my memory hasn't escaped me, the Corvette has had the transmission mounted to the third member for sometime now. I know during the entire run of the C6's for sure. Why would the torque tubes be an issue now with the C7 and not with the C6's? I've read a number of issues involving the belt tensioners that has been described as making a rattling and clunking sound..... Which is it?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts