Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stingray.jpg

Finally we have some officially official lap times around a track! It has lapped the VIR in a big way! It has made tracks around the track in an impressive 2:51.78! After some Googleing, I was able to find some lap times that put the 08 ZR1 at the top of the list, and a short hop down the list finds the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera in the number 6 spot with a 2:51.80. This means that the new Stingray will occupy the number 5 spot by .02 seconds! This is huge news for a car that is roughly a quarter of the cost of the Lambo.

The engineers on track spoke of the confidence inspiring handling from the suspension, and the overall trackability of the new car. "For the new Stingray, we set out to elevate every aspect of the Corvette's performance," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. "Considered alone, the acceleration, braking and cornering performance of the Corvette Stingray is truly impressive. More significant is how well they work together, resulting in a lap time at VIR that places the new Stingray in the upper echelon of all sports cars."

Full Press Release

Corvette Stingray: 3.8 seconds from 0 to 60 mph
Turns in 2:51.8 lap at Virginia International Raceway 'Grand Course'

DETROIT – Chevrolet released official performance estimates today for the 2014 Corvette Stingray, the most capable standard Corvette ever. Equipped with the available Z51 Performance Package, the new Stingray is capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds, braking from 60 to 0 in 107 feet, and sustaining 1.03 g in cornering.

Cumulatively, the acceleration, cornering and braking capability of the Corvette Stingray enable it to lap the Virginia International Raceway's (VIR) 4.2-mile "Grand Course" in 2:51.78.

"For the new Stingray, we set out to elevate every aspect of the Corvette's performance," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. "Considered alone, the acceleration, braking and cornering performance of the Corvette Stingray is truly impressive. More significant is how well they work together, resulting in a lap time at VIR that places the new Stingray in the upper echelon of all sports cars."

2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
Acceleration from 0-60 MPH: 3.8 seconds
¼ mile acceleration: 12 seconds @ 119 mph
Braking distance from 60 to 0 MPH: 107 feet
Maximum lateral acceleration: 1.03 G
VIR 'Grand Course' Lap: 2:51.78

The lap around VIR was conducted in Stingray equipped with the available Z51 Performance Package and Magnetic Ride Control. The vehicle that conducted the lap was modified only with safety features like a racing seat and harness, and fire extinguisher system.

"The new Stingray constantly communicates feedback to the driver, which makes you feel incredibly confident behind the wheel," said Jim Mero, Corvette vehicle dynamics engineer. "That confidence encourages you to attack each corner because the Stingray drives so well: the tire grip is incredible; the steering response is some of the best I've ever experienced; the Magnetic Ride dampers allow little body roll through the corner, while still soaking up the rumble strips when you clip the apex," he said. "It's just addictive on the track."

The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale in the third quarter of 2013 for a suggested starting retail price of $51,995, excluding tax, title, and license fees. The $2,800 Z51 Performance Package includes an electronic limited-slip differential; dry-sump oiling system; integral brake, differential and transmission cooling; as well as a unique aero package that further improves high-speed stability. Magnetic Ride Control with Performance Traction Management is a $1,795 option. A Corvette Stingray equipped like the test car used at VIR would cost $56,590.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh man!!!!! I guess I will have to start saving for the supercharger haha. Just kidding!!! Those are pretty impressive numbers. I was expecting a 3.999999999 seconds from 0 to 60 MPH since Chevrolet kept saying under 4 seconds, which sounded sketchy and somewhat misleading. But, yes, for that price, you can't touch it. I am so excited to get mine. I sold my sports car already and I am getting around with the "doggy" car (a 2005 Rav4 I use to travel with the dogs). It does an impressive 0 to 60 time of 9 seconds and an unbelievable 1/4 mile time of 18 seconds at 85 MPH (just kidding, I havent really tracked it). But it will be exciting to be dragging my butt against the pavement on a nice sports car again and not to be passed on the highway by 98% of the car population (very frustrating). Congratulations to all getting a C7!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts