Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Owners initial quality assessment.

2014 Owners initial quality assessment.

8K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  Chip 
#1 · (Edited)
This poll is intended to determine the initial impressions / quality assessment by owners of the new C-7. I would request that only owners respond to this poll. Given the limitations of the poll itself, please give a more detailed response in the response area below. Also, if there is an issue not included as a poll question please mention it in your response.

Edit; Please also add what was done to correct your issue and how long it took to get the issue resolved.

#2 ·
Be advised of this issue: "I was viewing some of the “trip” and “fuel” info all of a sudden my gas gauge went from about a quarter of a tank down to zero. The needle just dropped. It then stayed at zero while I tried to go back to different views (thinking I had done something wrong). Then I turned the car off and back on thinking it maybe just needed to reset itself - - but it stayed at zero and the “fuel range” reading (or “miles remaining” or the like – I can’t remember the exact words right now) was just dashed lines “----“.Tried a few more times shutting the car off and then back on, but still nothing. I remembered during the tour they said there was usually only about 3 gallons of gas in the car from the factory, so I thought maybe I just needed to fill the car up. Went to the gas station and started to fuel up. I only got about 1.5 gallons in when it shut off and wouldn’t take any more. When I tried to keep filling it just would overflow so I had to stop. I know I had the nozzle in all the way (knowing with the capless system you have to get it past the second flap). Because gas got on the car I wanted to leave and get back to the house to wash it off immediately. I did that and then read the owner’s manual about fueling. I don’t see anything I did wrong. And, the gas gauge still reads zero with “fuel range" or whatever still showing “---“. It’s like the car thinks it has no fuel but it won't take any either.
So, I drove back to the gas station again, tried a different pump and same result - - I couldn’t get it to take any gas (not even a little) and my gauge still reads zero. I don’t know what to do. I have no idea how much gas is in the car and don't want to run out if I have to take it to a dealer."

Possible issue fix: "There is a hose inside the fuel tank that interferes with the fuel sending unit that measures the gas in the tank. Apparently the arm for the unit can get hung up on the hose. There has been a new part issued for the tank but it does require the tank being dropped to do it. From what I remember them telling me it is a 8hr job to get done, by 8hr I mean that it is the job time from GM to do it. Obviously it can take longer or shorter depending on the tech and the familiarity with the car."

#3 ·
Hey folks. This forum and others are chock-full of issues...nasty ones. Yes, some of you have had good luck. For those of you who are experiencing problems, and many are troublesome problems, where are your votes? I haven't taken delivery yet and, frankly, from what I'm reading, it's darn alarming. Perhaps some constituents are long-term GM apolgists. Why? Chevy dealers and corporate have been touting the unprecedented QC process. Really? For those of you are are shocked at the lack of attention to even moderate detail, put aside your corporate loyalty and VOTE! Let your voice be heard. I think and certainly hope that the GM reps that are monitoring these sites but are actively communicating the pulse of the customer base. Be counted.

Reactions: Chip and Sinner
#4 ·
I'm no GM apologist. This is my 1st corvette and though I had a problem with my infotainment system screen, I'm extremely pleased. When I took it to my dealers service department they admittedly did not know what to do about the problem but quickly ordered the new part and installed it. The car runs perfectly and I have had no alarming issues come up. I wouldn't get to alarmed just yet.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a bit a diff point of view, being from the industry. The posts here and other forums could indicate a bad launch, or could not. You won't really know until the Initial Quality Survey (IQS) comes out by JD powers in the next 6 months with a wider sample base than the forums. Although it's not accepted here, most cars have problems, either real ones or ones the customer perceives. Forums have always been a terrible place to gather true assessments of a situation because enthusiasts are always happy to post problems, non owners love "schadenfreude", and people that are happy, just don't post - or even read here. So it remains to be seen. I think some of the pics about paint quality are deplorable, but in checking with a few of the forum vendors, and other places, it seems from about 3000 on, the cars have been pretty good. The other place that is very telling to GM execs, is the qty of warranty claims being generated by the dealer network which none of us have access to.

BTW, 1600 miles and my car is as perfect as any BMW, Porsche or Honda I have owned. No probs whatsoever.

PS. There are many many "normal" people out there that are very happy with their cars..I ran into a premier edition owner yesterday that was extremely happy, had no idea he even owned mag ride, and in 1000 miles did not even know he had driving modes. He flagged me down in the parking lot and asked how come my exhaust was so much more throaty than his, and wondered if I had aftermarket exhaust..He had never been out of "T"!!!.....The country club type owner, for sure. ..

#6 ·
Top notch quality. Very impressive. See my comments in the owners thread.:cool:

#8 · (Edited)
I found this bulletin pertaining to early production Z-51 cars only. Check with your dealer to see if yours is included in this notice:

"Customer Satisfaction Bulletin #13384. edit= Now A VIN specific recall.

Here's the first paragraphs:

CONDITION
The rear differential assembly in certain 2014 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may
have been shipped from the supplier with insufficient fluid. Operating the vehicle without
sufficient fluid in the rear differential assembly could produce a loud whine and/or gear or
bearing noise.
CORRECTION
Dealers are to inspect the rear differential fluid level and add fluid, if necessary. If fluid is
required, dealers are to also road-test the vehicle and listen for rear axle noise. If a whine, gear
or bearing noise is present, dealers are to replace the rear differential assembly.
VEHICLES INVOLVED
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle
History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel
should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required
inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because
not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content."

#10 ·
2 engines damaged by fuel sending unit repair work and require replacement

This is a thread that described a "gas sending unit" repair (see post #2) that resulted in an engine being damaged to the point it needed to be replaced, with possible vehicle "buy back" by GM.

"Well, the speculation can stop. I just heard from dealer - worst news possible - they need to replace the engine. I am devastated.
Apparently they have been talking with GM and it has something to do with when the fuel sending unit was replaced. Because the driveline had to be removed to do that, upon reassembly the torque rod (or torque stick) needs to be aligned and/or torqued perfectly, otherwise it causes a problem with the thrush washer which apparently can then disintegrate and cause the crankshaft to have too much movement or something along those lines. At the end of the day all I know is that they need to replace my engine. I truly cannot believe this.
(I also spoke with the owner of a C7 in Colorado who also had his fuel sending unit replaced and then his car died - - he as been told the same thing - a new engine is required. This is unbelievable to me)."

#11 ·
That is very unfortunate "2 engines damaged by fuel sending unit repair work and require replacement" especially for the owners. Have to wonder if the fuel sending unit repair work was done by C7 trained mechanics or other mechanics at the respective dealers who had not been sent to the training program.:confused:

#14 ·
I TRIED TO GO TO THE POLL TO ENTER MY ANSWERS... DIDN'T OPEN PROPERLY, SO HERE YOU ARE:

I am very pleased with my initial assessment of my new car and have no issues to report
I have a body fitment issues (rear fender to be raised about 1/8" to be flush with wheel well)

#16 ·
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but...

I'm now 2 days and about 175 miles into the mission. Even at that, however, I can't begin to describe how this car drives. Absolutely ridiculous acceleration when punched, great cornering, as comfortable seating/ride as engineering could possibly produce. No problems whatsoever. Input from y'all has been right on the money.

I hope I'm not ex-communicated from the forum but I broke a whole bunch of 'club rules' within the First 48. I took it out in the rain on a dinner date last evening, turned it over to a valet at a very nice restaurant, and gave it another valet at a beachside joint. I tried to act super nonchalant when doing so but the valet was stronger and managed to pry the keys from my tightly clinched fist.

I'm usually pretty decent with words but just can't seem to formulate a composition that accurately reflects my thoughts and feelings. Although this is my first Vette, it's my opinion that the media has been justifyably effusive in their reviews. Anyone who's on the fence would immediately take the leap...if they could take a serious test drive, play with the electronics/dash displays, navigate the convenience and entertainment functions implemented via wheel controls, and much more. Frankly, I keep walking into the garage at all hours of night, just to make sure she's mine and I'm not dreaming. I'm thinking of putting a baby monitor in the garage, just in case she cries and needs a bottle.

Clearly, regardless of the car you choose, it's a lot of money for the vast majority of folks, included ME! That said, for those that can swing the money, I believe it to be a sound value-based decision. You get a lot for your money! And, if you like a lot of attention...you'll get it.

Reactions: PE009
#18 ·
Well stated George!!! I share your unbridled enthusiasm as I am sure many others do as well. (However, no valet will ever get to enjoy RedHot. As a matter of fact when I took her in to have the windows tinted I insisted that I drive it into their workshop and remained there until it was ready to be moved out :D ) :cool:

#20 ·
The attention is off the hook.. I knew it would be there.. But people are taking pictures of the car everywhere I go. Motorists jockey for position to get next to me on freeways. Thumb ups are everywhere. I've had the car 1 month and it's got about 575 miles on it now. It seems to me the some of its parts are greater than the price of admission. This is my 5th Corvette.. (I still have 4 of the 5). Each one is different and has it's own personality, but you know without question you are in a Corvette in each one. GM has a home run here, and it's been knocked out of the park! I'm proud I bought American! ??

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

#21 ·
Not sure it's an ongoing issue or not? Less than 200 miles... only 'odd' thing I've really noticed so far. Was using a thumb drive with CD files copied there. Appeared to be fine, browsing, playing. Parked the car while playing a file (George Thorogood if it matters :) ). Came back to the car... black box on screen indicated "no media found" (or similar text). Tried unplugging and replugging thumb drive (behind roll down screen)... same thing. Tried moving to USB port in console... same thing. Switched back and forth between satellite radio, FM and back to media.... still would not 'find'. Shut car down, checked thumb drive using PC... all files okay. Went back out to car, powered up in 'accessory power' (did not start engine)... media found and playing selections fine. Have not had an opportunity to try to get it to repeat the problem.

Anyone else had similar?

#23 ·
I have owned a Range Rover, BMW 7 Series, and several Audi's and can attest that thus far, I'm very pleased with my purchase and the experience of driving this car. The interior build quality is tight and well crafted. The dash info is fantastic. The ride noise is there, but I attribute it to cold tires partially, and the fact that this is a sports car. I've been in plenty of others with more noise. My only complaint is the infotainment system, which I hope will get software revisions some day. It's just not user friendly and the overall look of it is lame. Needs a refresh to be more like the center dash display.

For those considering this car, I can not say enough about it. I find myself frustrated when the weather is bad and I can't drive it because it's so much fun. My wife took me on one of those super car drives a few years ago and I spent the day with a 458 Italia, R8, GT3, Lambo and XKR-S. Of all those cars, I walked away most impressed with the cat like reflexes of the 458, and the stunning mild mannered / sleeping monster the R8 provided. I focused on the R8 as the car of my dreams because of the build quality vs the 458, which even new had a dash that was falling apart. ***SO, when the C7 was announced and specs reveals, I went for it figuring I really was getting a huge bang for the buck. Now comparing.... NO CONTEST. The C7 far exceeds the value/dollar... and easily feels and competes with the 100k + cars. Buy one! You won't regret it.

#25 ·
Granted, I only have 621 miles on my Torch Red Z51 3LT with chrome wheels and exposed carbon fiber top and performance exhaust (sequence #916) but so far it has been flawless. After reading posts on the differential fluid issue I called the dealer and my car is one that must be checked (I still don't understand why GM didn't contact me.). I will let everyone know the results of my trip to the dealer on Tuesday both here and on the specific threat in the forum. Other than that, I don't have a single complaint or issue to share except my cheeks are cramping from smiling so much while driving this machine. Most fun I've had in years!

Reactions: elegant
#28 ·
ECU re-flash info w/ owner review

I found this and hope it is useful to those of you who may need it.
"GM has just released a software update to fix some of the luminescent issues at dusk and dawn that have affected the brightness of the Instrument Cluster. 4 total Modules are affected. My servicing dealer has already completed the update which was officially released today
OK. Just got back from the dealer with the update. I have only driven the car a few miles so this review may be a little incomplete. I have attached the bulletin below. 4 lighting modules were updated. BCM-HVAC-RADIO and IPC.

1)The Instrument Cluster is much brighter. Very Nice. In daytime mode, you can not adjust the display luminescence level to the left of the steering wheel. This may have been the way it used to be as well (I never tested it in daytime before). Regardless, no issues whatsoever in daytime conditions.
2) It started to rain, so my lights toggled on and the display switched over to night mode. The transition was evident. It is 100% better than the old murky low light display. They did a very good job in recalibrating the brightness levels. Much, much better
The light level knob to the left of the steering wheel is controllable in Night conditions and controls the Instrument Cluster as well as the Infotainment Screen smoothly and simultaneously. It has a wide range of movement all the way to complete dark / off.
3) The update will cause you to lose all of your radio presets. I spent a lot of time putting together and renaming 20 presets a few weeks ago. No problem...I will redo them tonight.
4) Your radio EQ and Balance will default back to normal.
5) My Vehicle Lighting preferences changed. No big deal. Already reset my Exit Lighting to my preferred mode (off).
6) Software update now indicates 23141791
7) My Driver Mode programming, HUD and Pocket Gauges had to be reset and Linked. No problem, took 1 minute when I got home."

ICUpdate_zpsd6d68553.jpg Photo by bisely | Photobucket

#29 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the HUD et al (OK, almost pun intended...). Sounds like they came up with a good fix. RedHot will get it next time I go to the dealer. :cool:

#32 ·
Another possibility is to have one for individuals who get their C7s starting in January and then we would have a comparison to 'early adopters' vs 2nd half of the first year production...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.