Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If the fans won't come on and you don't need to replace the fans they're controlled by relays you should replace the fan control relays I had the same problem on a Malibu

·
Registered
110 Posts
Took delivery (dealer stock) of torch red 3LT Z51 in May of 14. Traded for 19 Grand Sport March of 19, nearly 5 years. Got a very slight discount off MSRP in 2014, and since dealer stock, car was loaded. Had a little over 22k miles on car when traded, original tires, between 4 and 3/32 on tires, ready for new ones. Car was in the anti syphion recall. I hated the electronics, the boot up was slow, (could back out of dtrveway before backup camera on) voice recognition terrible, no Apple CarPlay, over reliance on onstar, and nav almost useless, about 25% of time would not allow address input and no way to use coordinates. HOWEVER, no other issues, never inservice shop except for the infotainment system issues, which Chevy said”operating as designed”. Good car, but (at least 1st few days) significantly better Infotainment system in the 2019.

PS Edit, don't buy intro models!!!!! This should have been obvious to me, but my desire to have this car made me pay near MSRP, get a 6 speed auto instead of the 8 speed in the next year, and a really substandard Info/Nav system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
guys I am a first time Corvette owner have wanted one for just about all my (62 years) life. In 2017 I had a 1968 Firebird health issues would not let me give the attention it needed. I put it up 4 sale that lasted about 4 days. I took that $$ and picked up a 2015 C7 2LT Dark & Gray Red Inter. Z51 appearance package Performance Exhaust 23,580 Miles. About a month in I had an issue with the Torque Converter which is I think why I got such a great deal on it. Still under Warranty replacement Also the touch screen went out about a year in. NO More Issues!!! Had an Issue with blind spots so I just added some small stick on Blind spot mirrors. I like the Idea of the up size 19"&20" wheels and Tires. I Love the car!! Along with everyone else!!! Not Disappointed!

·
Administrator
14,879 Posts
Let's please keep all posts on this thread limited to the OP focus of " this thread based on the experiences and issues, likes or dislikes that are specific to the first year only C7. Feel free to post any/all comments as they relate to the ‘14. " Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2014 Z51 3LT with all performance options, ordered new and delivered 2/14. Had passenger door rub on front fender when opening, dealer realigned fender. New battery at 3 years. Have the warble from the drivetrain intermitantly. Now have 11k miles. Bought extended warranty through GM. Still have original tires except one rear replaced due to nail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just an educational question as I have the extended warranty on my Black 2014 Z51 3LT (7700 miles).. Does the ported throttle body, controller, and M2W switch have any effect on warranty or is it something that depends on how well you know your dealership? Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
92,000 miles and stilling rolling! Only issue has been belt tensioner pulley replacement at 37,000 miles. Best car I have ever had, and I have had some good ones. Was considering a Z06 about a year ago and still am, but I went to a couple of dealerships that had 2019 models on their lots and the panel fitment was atrocious. I decided to pass as I was going to order specifically what I wanted this time. It would be a crap shoot, and I can't find anything on dealer lots that meets my specifications.. If one was on a lot that met my preferences I could inspect the fitment of the panels before buying.

·
Administrator
14,879 Posts
92,000 miles and stilling rolling! Only issue has been belt tensioner pulley replacement at 37,000 miles. Best car I have ever had, and I have had some good ones. Was considering a Z06 about a year ago and still am, but I went to a couple of dealerships that had 2019 models on their lots and the panel fitment was atrocious. I decided to pass as I was going to order specifically what I wanted this time. It would be a crap shoot, and I can't find anything on dealer lots that meets my specifications.. If one was on a lot that met my preferences I could inspect the fitment of the panels before buying.
Great to read, but unless I am mistaken, you have a 2016. This thread is for 2014 C7s.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just an educational question as I have the extended warranty on my Black 2014 Z51 3LT (7700 miles).. Does the ported throttle body, controller, and M2W switch have any effect on warranty or is it something that depends on how well you know your dealership? Thanks
I don’t believe either of these mods would void a warranty, assuming they weren’t the cause of an engine failure. I have all three mods on my car, too.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Great to read, but unless I am mistaken, you have a 2016. This thread is for 2014 C7s.
Woops! Sorry about that. At least I got it off my chest. :single_eye:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had my 14 Z51 for about a year now, maybe 2,000 miles since purchase, I am the 3rd owner and it had about 31K when I bought it. It had just had new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (non-run flats) installed and a new Interstate battery.

I think they are gorgeous cars and extremely well built, love my color combo and frankly I haven't seen a color combo I don't like!

Added a few little things like; splash guard upgrades (front & rear), permanent hockey pucks for jacking up, Powerstop ceramic/carbon fiber brake pads, replacement clear vinyl for rear quarter (in front of fender well), battery charging system, indoor cover, NoviStretch nose and mirror covers (for highway trips). and a tray for the compartment behind the center info panel, and the magnetic shock re-calibration (good upgrade).

I've had no issues other then my self inflicted paper towel in the intake f-up. However, when I took her out a few months ago for a Sunday drive I lowered the center info screen to put my wallet in there and after I closed it I started getting some flickering on the screen! Research tells me it is probably an indication of the screen needing replacement. The CARFAX maintenance history reflected that it went in for service for the center screen (about 2015 I think) but I believe they just did a re-flash, not a replacement? Drove it again a few weeks ago (didn't lower the screen) and had no issues??

Thanks for any advise or suggestions on how to address this potential problem.

PS- Love the site, all my upgrades have come from this forum, thank you!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aloha All,

After reading through the thread, recalled a couple of other things worth noting...

I also had the break squeal mentioned by a couple. Started around 10k miles, had it troubleshot by a local dealer, who replaced the pads with a good amount of anti-squeal grease. Squeal came back about 5k miles later and remained an intermittent issue through about 25k miles. The squeal was gone for good at that point, with roughly 15k miles on that set of OEM pads.

Regarding tire wear... Change the original tires at 25k miles, prior to putting the car up for sale, wanted the next owner to at least have a couple/few years before incurring that bill. The OEM Michelins still had a decent amount of tread as well, probably another 3-4k of life left in them I'm guessing. They were replaced with OEM (on the Z51) Michelins.

A'Hui hou all,

Boomah

·
18,667 Posts
Regardless of model year, starting about 2 1/2 year ago, GM instituted a policy that if there is engine or sometimes powertrain related warranty claims, the dealership shall find out how many times the ECU has been programmed, and what was the maximum power generated by the motor at any time. So if I were to have added nitrous to my 2014 or whatever, and blew the trans or the diff, they could ascertain that my maximum power level was “x,” or that my ECU was reprogrammed “y” times. That information is then sent to the Regional Warranty Approval Supervisor before a major powertrain related warranty claim were approved (or denied).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought it $36k with 30,042 miles. It now has 51,650 I came across this flawless 2014 Blade Silver Corvette hiding in the back lot of a Chevrolet Dealer that had all their new hot Z06s & Grand Sports up front. They said it has been sitting on their lot for 2 months because nobody wanted a Base model with a 7-speed manual. Well I sure did. Hour later, I drove her home. Since I’ve owned it I’ve tinted the windows, added a Matte Black vinyl hood stripe, Halltech Cold Air Intake, Carbon Flash Z06 side skirts from ACS, stage 2 rear Spoiler & stage 3 front spoiler from extreamonlinestore, and Z06 quarter rents from GM. Cray Astoria Matte black wheels with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 Pluses. With the good weather in SC I get to drive it almost every day! With zero issues.
Just an educational question as I have the extended warranty on my Black 2014 Z51 3LT (7700 miles).. Does the ported throttle body, controller, and M2W switch have any effect on warranty or is it something that depends on your dealership? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased my Black, 7MT, 3LT non-z51 Vette in march of 2014. Barely off the delivery truck. Very cool to be able to remove seat covering and protective film they have in different spots. It had everything I was looking to order: Red Calipers, spoiler, clear roof, manual transmission, black on black. PERFECT
This car is my DD that now has 41k miles on it at nearly 5 years of ownership. Never tracked the car, just your standard drive to work and occasional weekend drive but nothing heavy.
Only my second American made car. I fell in love with the new body style of the Camaro first (5th Gen) then the Vette and it was a dream car for me so to own one was wonderful.

Since then there have been some issue:
- Purchase experience (the absolute worst I have ever had. ruined what should have been an exciting day. not a car specific issue, but just so bad, that to this day it still bothers me a bit)
- 6 Months in Dashboard sever bubble, they fixed this but new bubble in dash has appeared out of warranty
- 6 Months end, car will not always go into 1st gear when sitting from a stop. Have to start in 2nd gear. Taken to dealer 4 times and they can never duplicate or find issues.
I see this issue at least 2 times a week
- 1 year in the car grinds going from 1st gear to 2nd gear (only 1st to 2nd gear). It is a clear grinding and not just the mechanical sounds of hitting in gear.
THIS IS EVERY DAY, not every shift but no less than 50% of the time, however, each time I take to the dealer, they do not hear it or think there is a problem. This is very frustrating.
- 1 year in Infotainment screen dies. The screen motion is connected with ribbon cable that went bad due to usage
- 2 years in, rear end had major issue 7K worth of repair needed due to a rear end component failure
- 4 years in, ac compressor is dead, no longer under warranty and quoted $1817.00
- Not sure when it started, roof noise is crazy, I have used the fix noted on this site with the rubber washer but hear there is actually a dealer fix that can be put in place
- 4 years in, rear end squeak (not related to roof) that comes from only the rear passenger side that I cannot isolate right now.

While there are some issues, I truly love this car, I love the performance, the look, the driving experience. I like seeing young kids look at my Vette the same way I did when I was young. That excited and cool car look in their eyes. Even after 5 years, it is a head turner. I love the stock exhaust sound with NPP and pipes wide open. I will ofter turn down the radio and just drive to hear it.
I will not get rid of my baby but there is some frustration with cost to issue ratio for something in this price.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think they are gorgeous cars and extremely well built, love my color combo and frankly I haven't seen a color combo I don't like!

However, when I took her out a few months ago for a Sunday drive I lowered the center info screen to put my wallet in there and after I closed it I started getting some flickering on the screen! Research tells me it is probably an indication of the screen needing replacement. The CARFAX maintenance history reflected that it went in for service for the center screen (about 2015 I think) but I believe they just did a re-flash, not a replacement? Drove it again a few weeks ago (didn't lower the screen) and had no issues??
I agree, Spyder. They are wonderful cars.

The screen failure is a common 2014 model issue, and I bet you need a replacement. Since it was brought to the dealer to address within the factory warranty period, I’d take it to the dealer again and ask for a replacement now. I bet they will still cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you, Queasyrider. That’s the biggest reason I haven’t upgraded to a Grand Sport. If they ever released another good green color, I’d be all over that. I would have loved to be at that release at the race track. That’s a beautiful part of New England.

I grew up in Austin, and they do have some great roads to drive in the Hill Country. The next time you’re in Allen, let me know. I’ll come take you for a ride in a few of the good roads we have in north DFW. I see you live on Long Island. I was there for a few weeks on a work assignment in 1990, and really enjoyed it.
I’ve always wanted to go back.

BTW.....I failed to mention I found my C7 at a dealer in Colonie, NY (west Albany area). A forum member volunteered to go inspect it and test drive it for me, before I bought it. I flew up a few weeks later to pick it up and drive it back home to Texas. It was a great road trip to get to know the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I received mine in January 2014, no problems other than the center screen flickering which was a quick repair, still very happy with it, so happy that I’m keeping it in addition to the c8.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
32 Participants
jsvette
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing