Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Premier C7 with about 4k miles on it. It has the Performance Multi-Mode Exhaust System on it that I usually have in Sport mode. Standard tranny obviously. I ONLY run Mobil 93 Octane.

On the two outer exhaust tips I get a black build up over time that LOOKS like carbon. Anyone else have this? Normal or is something amiss?

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,473 Posts
Normal. When I'm out and about, in my clean up kit bag in the trunk, I just have an old used micro-fiber rag I use to wipe the tips off.........often.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Norm, appreciate the reply and also glad to hear it's normal. I otta buy you a beer sometime. ;)

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Thanks Norm, appreciate the reply and also glad to hear it's normal. I otta buy you a beer sometime. ;)
If you're out around my way, you're welcome to stop by, no beer necessary....coffee's good.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't see where you're from.... I'm in SW Florida. As for the beer, was just a reference to Cheers. ;)

·
Administrator
16,233 Posts
The exhaust is routed only to the outer two pipes during start-up and cold engine temperatures. That is what results in the normal appearance of carbon build-up. If you stay on top of it, it actually is very easy to remove. Every time I pull RedHot back into her garage, I wipe the pipes with a microfiber after a quick burst of Spray Way glass cleaner (from Costco). They still look like new after 7 years!

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to acquire that habit... I'll put a MF towel and spray bottle right there....

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Don't see where you're from.... I'm in SW Florida. As for the beer, was just a reference to Cheers. ;)
1100 miles away, DelMarVa. Invitation's still open.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Scott, you know you and your Texas bros are more than welcome.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Scott, you know you and your Texas bros are more than welcome.
Thanks! We might need to make another road trip, after this COVID stuff settles down.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 2014 Premier C7 with about 4k miles on it. It has the Performance Multi-Mode Exhaust System on it that I usually have in Sport mode. Standard tranny obviously. I ONLY run Mobil 93 Octane.

On the two outer exhaust tips I get a black build up over time that LOOKS like carbon. Anyone else have this? Normal or is something amiss?
Everything you need on this subject. I am second owner at 10,000 miles and they were filthy.
(4) Dirty Exhaust Tips | Stingray Corvette Forum (stingrayforums.com)

Reactions: stevec

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use microfiber towel and mother’s mag polish. Takes it off quick and I think it doesn’t allow carbon to stick to the tips as much!

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
If they get real bad use ceramic cleaner for glass stove tops,. Rub it on let it dry, wipe if off with paper towel. Cleans up like new.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I use coke and reynolds wrap. It cleans the exhaust pipes perfectly. Pour little coke on wrap and clean.. Than I use a polish.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts