Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the stingray factory a couple of weeks ago and the serial numbers on cars were in the 30,000 range. Thanks Steve

·
18,669 Posts
Not bad for a first year goal of that amount, in fact now on pace for about 35,000 units this year, and still on overtime, still can't keep up.

The StingRay is HOT!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Do we know how many test mules were produced and if they are even counted in the production count?

·
18,669 Posts
Mules = 15
Integrated Vehicle Engineering Release vehicles (IVERS) = 85
Pre-Production Prototypes = 20
Manufacturing Validation Builds (MVB's) = 50

All above are considered pre-production vehicles, and are not sale able.

Know that all above are not part of the sequencing VIN's (e.g. not counted).

Then they built 300 sale able MVB's, which became part "captive test fleet."

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
How does the customer selectable VIN play into the calculation? At 5K I doubt may chose that option (?)

I had 05/02 build and 24308 VIN

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Mules = 15
Integrated Vehicle Engineering Release vehicles (IVERS) = 85
Pre-Production Prototypes = 20
Manufacturing Validation Builds (MVB's) = 50

All above are considered pre-production vehicles, and are not sale able.

Know that all above are not part of the sequencing VIN's (e.g. not counted).

Then they built 300 sale able MVB's, which became part "captive test fleet."
This number seems low? Are you including the convertibles?

·
18,669 Posts
This number seems low? Are you including the convertibles?
The above numbers come from the book, "The Seventh Generation Of America's Sports Car: CORVETTE StingRay, the best resource we currently have. In that book, in the chapter of the book documenting the number of mules and IVER's, are pictures of StingRay convertibles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sure sounds like 35000, 2014 cars will be within reach by the end of their production. Mine has a TPW in that last week. Funny I was told by a GM rep that they guarantee that it will be build by the end of that week, I responded well if it isn't that would make it a 2015, not sure she got it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While at the factory and seeing those 30K + vin numbers rolling by coupe / conv /coupe /conv/ coupe/ with sequential vin numbers my interest was piqued. Next off to the museum where I used my free membership and discount to by the all new 2014 Corvette Black Book 1G1YL2D70E5000001 Thru 1G1YL2D70E5000550 (pilot) // 1G1YL2D77E5100001 thru 1G1YL2D77E510000? most cars // 1G1YL2D7XE5300001 thru 1G1YL2D7XE500000? ( premiere coupe ) // 1G1YL3D7XE5400001 thru 1G1YL3D7XE540000? ( premiere conv ). That doesn't cover the few custom vin's. At the end of the tour there was a wide body stingray convertible parked near the final testing area , I was at the end of the tour and thinking out loud that it would be worth it to get thrown out for dashing over and jumping in the driver seat for 6 seconds, my son talked me out of it. Cooler heads prevail to shift another day. They alternate coupe/ convertible/ because coupes are faster, I mean take less time to build so it averages out with convertibles for the workers.

Steve

·
Registered
873 Posts
Folks forget about the Premier editions. That's at least another thousand cars between coupes and convertibles. I see above that they have 53xxxx and 54xxxx VINs

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts