Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question? So NEW for the 2015 StingRay Corvette. It gets a new piece of equipment that allows their car to be updated wirelessly. Does this work through the OnStar? Will the 2014 Corvette's have an update so that we will get that feature as well. To my understanding the wirelessly update will not only update the car's computer but also the navigation without having to go to the dealership.

Any ideas? or thoughts if it is possible? for us 2014 owners

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I don't believe it's been published that the 4G LTE option will allow for remote vehicle update. Can you reference a source?

Remote updates are very tricky, how many times have read about or had a device brick due to a corrupted over the air or internet based update? Would you want the liability of bricking someone's car?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
817 Posts
Remote updates are very tricky, how many times have read about or had a device brick due to a corrupted over the air or internet based update? Would you want the liability of bricking someone's car?
I had a fully charged, fully functional smartphone one night. Next morning it was bricked. No shops could do anything to fix it. It spontaneously became junk.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
I have a question? So NEW for the 2015 StingRay Corvette. It gets a new piece of equipment that allows their car to be updated wirelessly. Does this work through the OnStar? Will the 2014 Corvette's have an update so that we will get that feature as well. To my understanding the wirelessly update will not only update the car's computer but also the navigation without having to go to the dealership.

Any ideas? or thoughts if it is possible? for us 2014 owners
A couple of years ago when Cadillac did a similar update to the Nav/OnStar they offered a for a fee upgrade that required some equipment switch-out after the newer system was out for about a year. So my guess is there is a possibility that down the road we might have the opportunity to upgrade our 2014s for a fee.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unlike Tesla, I doubt GM will send any major software updates OTA. To many things could go wrong with a faulty update leaving the vehicle and owner stranded. Minor updates maybe, but nothing major.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Unlike Tesla, I doubt GM will send any major software updates OTA. To many things could go wrong with a faulty update leaving the vehicle and owner stranded. Minor updates maybe, but nothing major.
Tesla actually flat-bedded vehicles a number of times back (even though they were fully operational) for software updates based on my friends experience with his.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts