Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually stopped by my mechanics place this morning and discussed it with him. He said it didn't sound serious to him. He said he didn't agree with changing the tranny fluid. He said with tranny fluid, it's how many contaminates it can hold, not it's age and with 3800 he said in his opinion it wouldn't help but.... he didn't have time to actually drive the car either as he was up to his armpits in a motor. lol I'm going to stop back, when the system is "cold" and when he has time and he's going to drive it and see what he thinks and we'll go from there. It may well be I'm just being picky and it's the beefed up syncro gears between 1-2, 2-3.

As for the shifter, I've read a ton of reviews on it. Some love it and have zero problems/issues with it and others are totally opposite.... so I'm on the fence about that.

One thing I HAVE to do is to get the blackout side marker replacements for those red and yellow thangs..... ;)
I got the body color side marker lights from oraclelights. They look great during the day but at night when they light up there is uneven light bleed through.

·
Administrator
15,994 Posts
Let's return posts to the OP's issue. Thank you.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks man but I'm just gonna let it be (after my mechanic drives it) for some more miles. It's probably me being anal again. ;) Thanks all. If there are any developments I'll update.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steve: I have a 2014 C7 Z51 M7 that had the same issue. It would also often pop out of 1st. My tech adjusted the linkage as per a TSB and it shifts beautifully now.
BTW: what is a “ Premier Edition?” I never heard of that term.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Never has popped out of gear, just feels different to me than anything prior. But this is my first Z51.

As for the Premier - it was a special edition. 500 made. Mine's #445

Here's the announcement back then:

·
Registered
2014 C7 Z51 LT3 Convertible
12 Posts
Never has popped out of gear, just feels different to me than anything prior. But this is my first Z51.

I am sorry, but I don't see how an MGW shifter would improve anything. In fact back in 2015 I contacted the folks at MGW and described the exact issue you are having and they told me that they could not give me any guarantee the what I call "notching" would go away. Keep in mind, this issue is in the transmission case that is located in front of the rear axle. Therefore visualize the long rod from the shift box in your console to the rear of the car. The "grind" does not come from the shifting hardware but instead it comes from a delayed synchronization of your Tremec manual gear box. This was also confirmed to me by the chief mechanic at the Ron Fellows Racetrack in Spring Mountain, NV. GM knows about this issue but decided not to address it. I finally resorted to draining the factory oil out and replacing it with Full Synthetic Gear Lub called BG Synchro Shift II SAE 75W-80. Check it out on at Zip Corvette.

I purchased my 14 C7 Z51 LT3 Convertible in June of 2014 and not have 30,000 miles. The synthetic oil was a great improvement but I still experience some minor "notching". Hope this helps

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am sorry, but I don't see how an MGW shifter would improve anything. In fact back in 2015 I contacted the folks at MGW and described the exact issue you are having and they told me that they could not give me any guarantee the what I call "notching" would go away. Keep in mind, this issue is in the transmission case that is located in front of the rear axle. Therefore visualize the long rod from the shift box in your console to the rear of the car. The "grind" does not come from the shifting hardware but instead it comes from a delayed synchronization of your Tremec manual gear box. This was also confirmed to me by the chief mechanic at the Ron Fellows Racetrack in Spring Mountain, NV. GM knows about this issue but decided not to address it. I finally resorted to draining the factory oil out and replacing it with Full Synthetic Gear Lub called BG Synchro Shift II SAE 75W-80. Check it out on at Zip Corvette.
I purchased my 14 C7 Z51 LT3 Convertible in June of 2014 and not have 30,000 miles. The synthetic oil was a great improvement but I still experience some minor "notching". Hope this helps
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have been running the MGW shifter for quite a number of years now... there's really no functional difference between stock and aftermarket shifters... they still push and pull, and twist the shifter control rod (that runs back to the transmission). The rod movements have to remain the same, as the transmission's designers intended... or it would not function. Adjustments within the console do nothing but position the shift lever... this will not improve shifts, unless it had been grossly misaligned (allowing the shifter to hit it's movement limits or the edges of the console opening). Limits of movement during operation, are set by the "gating" within the transmission. The big changes the MGW brings: removal of stock vibration isolation and beefing up of flimsy OEM parts (giving a "crisper" more mechanical feel) and repositioning of the pivot point of the shift lever (making throws slightly shorter).
One thing I'd like to change... is the neutral gate spring preload force. I'd like to have it a LOT lighter (I think I would like NO preload). But being that this requires going into the transmission, it's probably prohibitively expensive (maybe I'd pay $200 for this? 😁)
So... having said all that... love the upgrade... but don't think it would eliminate what sounds like an issue IN the transmission.

Reactions: stevec

·
Registered
397 Posts
Like the blue color a lot... reminds me of the late sixties Chevy "Nassau Blue".
As someone mentioned, I think body color marker lights would look real good (does anyone make these?).
I black plasticoat'ed the chrome bar in the grill of mine... this might look good on yours also.

·
Registered
2014 C7 Z51 LT3 Convertible
12 Posts
I have been running the MGW shifter for quite a number of years now... there's really no functional difference between stock and aftermarket shifters... they still push and pull, and twist the shifter control rod (that runs back to the transmission). The rod movements have to remain the same, as the transmission's designers intended... or it would not function. Adjustments within the console do nothing but position the shift lever... this will not improve shifts, unless it had been grossly misaligned (allowing the shifter to hit it's movement limits or the edges of the console opening). Limits of movement during operation, are set by the "gating" within the transmission. The big changes the MGW brings: removal of stock vibration isolation and beefing up of flimsy OEM parts (giving a "crisper" more mechanical feel) and repositioning of the pivot point of the shift lever (making throws slightly shorter).
One thing I'd like to change... is the neutral gate spring preload force. I'd like to have it a LOT lighter (I think I would like NO preload). But being that this requires going into the transmission, it's probably prohibitively expensive (maybe I'd pay $200 for this? 😁)
So... having said all that... love the upgrade... but don't think it would eliminate what sounds like an issue IN the transmission.
Autoxal, when the manual shifting issue in mid 2014 surfaced, GM put out a bulletin to check the exact position of the linkage position in the console. The Corvette trained mechanic at my dealer in Richmond ended up making a 1.5 mm adjustment. This adjustment did not eliminate the notching issue but I did experience an improvement. As stated in my earlier post, the use of the mentioned synthetic oil improved the situation greatly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Autoxal, when the manual shifting issue in mid 2014 surfaced, GM put out a bulletin to check the exact position of the linkage position in the console. The Corvette trained mechanic at my dealer in Richmond ended up making a 1.5 mm adjustment. This adjustment did not eliminate the notching issue but I did experience an improvement. As stated in my earlier post, the use of the mentioned synthetic oil improved the situation greatly.
Have you had opportunity to look at the mechanism under the boot? I think "Notchy-ness would come from the transmission... nothing really up front where the shifter is (it's just a lever with a ball and socket). The MGW shifter comes with an alignment "tool" to locate the socket on the inner shift rail (accepts the ball at the bottom of the shift lever) in the neutral position at assembly. In another MGW thread I talked about an issue I had with mine. I'd not torqued the set screw on the shift rod sufficiently and it was allowing my shifter connection, to the rod, to move when pushed side to side... i could feel the shifter "ooze" when I leaned hard on it... BUT it was still shifting without issue... I did take it apart, re-adjusted and re-torqued the set screw (with Locktite). Helpful to see an exploded view of parts, and how they move, in the box on top of the torque tube... a very simple design.
DSC09612.JPG

MGW shifter... clamp with Torx screw at lower right attaches inner shift rail, with shaft to transmission... this is what was slipping in my initial install.

MGW shifter left (pivot point cover plate unbolted, plastic bag covering well greased shift ball)...
stock shifter right note all the plastic and stamped steel parts.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Like the blue color a lot... reminds me of the late sixties Chevy "Nassau Blue".
As someone mentioned, I think body color marker lights would look real good (does anyone make these?).
I black plasticoat'ed the chrome bar in the grill of mine... this might look good on yours also.
Thanks. All that I've had have been blue, except the '97 that I had for a brief period.... As for the markers, yes there are a few different ones. The ones I'd probably get if I jump are the led exchanges that are dark/smoke normally but are yellow and red when the lights come on but like anything for these cars, there's definitely a healthy "Corvette Tax" on 'em. ;)

As for the front grill, here's how it looks as it came from the factory.

3.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts

my premier is number 32 of 500. my tranny has been very notchy since day one. when i first start the car, i have to jam it into first gear or it kicks right back out. after things warm up it’s not so bad but will still do it on occasion. i’ve had 7 corvettes and this tranny is the most grindy, notchy manual i’ve had. here’s a pic.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
my premier is number 32 of 500. my tranny has been very notchy since day one. when i first start the car, i have to jam it into first gear or it kicks right back out. after things warm up it’s not so bad but will still do it on occasion. i’ve had 7 corvettes and this tranny is the most grindy, notchy manual i’ve had. here’s a pic. View attachment 277897
Well hey "Bro"!! You're the first person I've "met" that had one. Mine's a lot later in the run at 445 but I'm not complaining! :D My tranny's nowhere near that! It just feels a bit "tight" from 1st to 2nd. Never popped out. I guess I should just shut up and drive. LOL

Where are you located? I'm in SW Florida. The only time the top panel's on mine is if it's getting cleaned. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unless I VERY slowly make the gear change from 1st to 2nd, it grinds every time on my 17 Z51. Any normal chnage will grind. I took it to my local Chevy dealer and they said there was nothing wrong.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts