Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Won't know until I get my car but would imagine when traction control is active, the timing dials back when tire slippage is detected. This is the only logical way I can think of, of trimming off any excess torque. However, if the traction control is deactivated in track mode in order to maximize power, then it will be up to the driver to feel any slippage or loss in traction. I recall a friend that bought an '07 Z06 that deactivated his traction control... He thought he was fairly experienced but ended up scaring the crap out of himself and never did it again. Many people would probably be allot better off just leaving the traction control fully activated. Personally, I've experienced my rear tires loose at 180 MPH, so it's no big deal for me, but it's definitely not for everyone.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've never been at 180 mph, much less with the tires losing traction at those speeds. At least not during my waking hours! Best I remember was going in the 130's at Bridgehampton.

I'm thinking even with traction control off, the engine (likely timing) may still be throttled back during automatic transmission shifts to ease shock loads to the drive train, and hence fewer warranty claims.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Joel, actually the torque converter and clutch packs in the transmission is designed to absorb the shock loads from what I understand. Back in the race days we used a cross between an automatic transmission and a manual, which was referred to as the Lenco. Not sure if you ever saw pictures of drag cars with multiple shift levers sticking up where there's normally only one. We ran the Lenco with a clutch to launch the car with and then shifted without the clutch during gear changes. Each unit or stage of the Lenco had it's own set of planetary gears and clutch packs designed to absorb the shock.

If your ever curious ESPN-2 televises NHRA drag racing events during the racing season, which I record every episode. But when I was doing the Pro/Mod thing we were still working on the aerodynamics of the cars along with rear spoilers, which has gotten much larger over the years in order to create more down force to maintain traction. We used something similar to what is found on the Pro Stock cars now, which appears inadequate for the Pro Stockers today. That's how I'd get loose at speed, which we were approaching 200 MPH at the time. Now they're running 250-260.

The way I understand it, the only time the system dials back horsepower or retards the timing is when it detects a loss of traction in order for the tires to remain planted. With the traction control activated a certain amount of potential might be sacrificed in the process, which really isn't going to make one once of difference for the average person not looking to extract the last ounce of performance out of the car. Basically, what are we looking at, bragging rights? The difference between 3.2 and 2.95 seconds in the seat of your pants isn't worth the trouble for most people....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I think the 1/4 mile time is too high. Remember GM said the Z06 has the highest down force of any corvette which means drag as well so I believe if you remove the front and rear spoiler you'll see even better 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Motor Trend had a few powerful things to say about the LT4. A few were new to me. Interesting read if you want to know the LT1 and LT4 differences. Quite surprised at the "endurance" tests the LT4 had to go through ,and SURVIVE for it to become a viable engine for the Z06. It sure adds confidence knowing they've built it so tough.
Link to Motor Trend article published 11 Oct, 2014:
Engine Lowdown: 2015 Corvette Z06's 6.2-Liter Supercharged LT4

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Nice write up on the LT4 I'm really glad to see they really put the pedal to the metal in testing this engine. This means for us folks that aren't going to be racing this engine should be good for many, many miles. I remember they did a similar kind of testing on the C4 ZR-1 LT5 engine and today we see LT5's with 100,000 even 200,000 miles on them.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts