Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you can tell from my forum name; I'm a Corvette virgin. But after reading all the rave reviews on the C7, I think GM really has something special now, so I ordered a 2015 Coupe 2LT with the performance exhaust and the new 8 speed automatic. I have no intention of ever driving this car on a track but I am still thinking about going Z51 before I hit the '2000' order status. I know the ZF1 'appearance' package is also available but I am more interested in the actual street functionality, reliability, added maintenance etc and potential resale of the Z51 vs non-Z51. If I did change my order to Z51, I would go with the 7 speed manual. The performance exhaust is now included on the 2015 Z51 so my cost difference would relatively not be very much.
I would welcome any thoughts and guidance from current C7 Stingray owner aficionados.
Thanks!
:confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
As you can tell from my forum name; I'm a Corvette virgin. But after reading all the rave reviews on the C7, I think GM really has something special now, so I ordered a 2015 Coupe 2LT with the performance exhaust and the new 8 speed automatic. I have no intention of ever driving this car on a track but I am still thinking about going Z51 before I hit the '2000' order status. I know the ZF1 'appearance' package is also available but I am more interested in the actual street functionality, reliability, added maintenance etc and potential resale of the Z51 vs non-Z51. If I did change my order to Z51, I would go with the 7 speed manual. The performance exhaust is now included on the 2015 Z51 so my cost difference would relatively not be very much.
I would welcome any thoughts and guidance from current C7 Stingray owner aficionados.
Thanks!
:confused:
IMO the Z51 package is a no brainer

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Frankly, (people, please don't flame me, but this is the truth), the street functionality goes down with Z51 (the ride, even with MSRC, is stiffer/harder with the Z51), the reliability goes down with Z51 (dry sump [which has resulted in some oil problems], rear coolers [which have not been a problem so far, but long-term could require more service/maintenance], other Z51-specific "goodies"), and, of course, the maintenance costs go up with Z51. Unless you are driving where it will get REALLY hot, there is no reason to get the Z51 now that the ZF1 package is available, unless you just want to spend the money to go "all out".

Reactions: NightRaceRick

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
This is my first vette also. For the price, Z51 adds so much value to the car. The wheels, e-diff, cooling, brakes... Can't beat it.

Reactions: Milliwatt Rob

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMO Z51 all the way, especially with the manual transmission. My car will probably be driven on the track at some time but that is not the point. On the street the Z51 allows you to choose whatever performance you want. If you go non-Z51, you are limited. Again IMO. Either way, enjoy the Stingray and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
55 Posts
IMO Z51 is the best bargain in performance cars. I am so very happy that I did it. I think it will make a bigger difference in resale value in the future as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You will be happy either way but if you have the little extra to get the Z51 I would do it.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
What's your car background? Do you have any real sports car experience? Have you ever driven on a race track or autocrossed?

Your experience level will have a significant bearing on whether you would appreciate or even notice the difference the Z51 brings.

If you don't have a sports car background and have never experienced a car on a track at its limits more than likely a Z51 is a waste of money.

Honestly I think even asking the question tells me the person asking should probably not bother with the Z51.

·
Administrator
16,587 Posts
Welcome to our forum 1st Corvette. This question has actually been discussed a number of time on this forum (we have a great search function) and bottom line is that you will get well intentioned opinions all over the place. It is really going to come down to a matter of personal taste, what you expect to get out of your Stingray, how you will be driving it for the majority of the time, and of course your cash situation. I encourage you to read many of the prior posts on the topic as well as try to get behind the wheel of a base vs Z51 2014, automatic transmissioned cars prior to finalizing your order. No one can really crystal ball whether a 2015 base or Z51 will have more or fewer reliability issues, and certainly not what the ultimate value/value added will be if and when you chose to sell your Stingray with XYZ miles on it. Whatever Stingray you ultimately decide on it will be a phenomenal car.:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
None, no, nada, never to mjw930's questions. But...
I do fly jets for a living and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night!

Thanks for all the thoughtful insights. :D

·
18,670 Posts
As you asked, please consider this. The base StingRay, without even a single option, goes 1.0G on the skidpad. 98% of Corvette drivers do not have the courage to take a corner that fast. The base Corvette is a phenomenal, superbly handling sports car, with more abilities than almost everyone on this forum ever needs, and ever uses.

Doubt that, get a hot lap in a base StingRay with a professional driver, and most secretly wish the driver would so down a touch around the corners -- even though he or she is probably doing 90% of their best and/or the car's best.

If you just want a Z-51 for whatever reason, be honest with just yourself as to why you want it, and go buy a Z-51, but realize why you did so.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you 'elegant'. After 6 Gs in airplanes, I'm all 'G'd out.
I just want own a great American icon that I can cruise around town in until the wheels fall off.
:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have owned many many Corvettes over the past 40 years and have bought them with every package that could be added. What I found is that most of time the first year optimum performance option is not worth the extra $$ and usually you will not receive a cent more when you sell the car. Also the reduction in ride quality is not worth it. Unless you plan on going to the track often, a Z51 is a waste of $$. There is a saying that you don't need to own a Church just for Easter Sunday!

·
18,670 Posts
Every single StingRay, no matter how you equip it, will be "your thrill ride." Just slowly and progressively learn its power and handling when you first get it.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my non-Z51. Most of the responses in this thread are spot on.

Most importantly, congrats on your first Corvette purchase!!!

Reactions: greggshere

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yeah, I second what Jag said. :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I am base car equipped. I will go to the performance driving school in Nov. at Las Vegas to learn how to drive my car optimally. I do not plan to race it nor is the school a racing education. I will never race this car and so far, even without Z51 this car is an exciting wonderful ride - to each his own though.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ordered a base coupe. I have been driving Corvette's since 1991. None have ever been driven to their full potential. I don't feel the Z51 option would be of any use to me. The 2004, 6 speed
coupe I sold with 30,000 miles on it, had never been over 3,500 RPM's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a set of Z51 calipers and rotors if you want the breaks I track my car just finished 2 days at Watkins Glen
Was faster than the GT3's ran with the GT3RS. Car is amazing
To the point I put on larger brembo fronts and have the Z51 fronts on a shelf (yellow calipers). I'm looking for a good home for them. You can contact me at hugereed& aol.com
Brakes are in Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

1 - 20 of 134 Posts