Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
For the 2015 Corvette, is there a choice for just a navigation system or navigation system data recorder?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It looks like the Nav and PDR come as a bundle $1795.00

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
533 Posts
The PDR is in The Nav. System and if you get Nav. you get the PDR. No way around it. Trust me its the coolest thing out there for $1000...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I recommend the C7 system and will always order it. Mine has been highly accurate--missed one address. Might not have been the system but could be the data base was short--. I like the icons on the touch screen. I have used the weather icon more the past two weeks and find that feature fun to use if you are in a storm area. I think the camera on the '15 will be a good feature as well. aka cutnout

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Mmmmm, in the event GM hasn't already thought of it, the PDR camera in the front can come in handy for a number of other features as well..... The reason I mention this is because we purchased a 2014 Infinity QX60 in February and I'm totally blown away by some of the features in it. It has camera's front and rear, but seems like it's 360 degrees. It lets you know whenever there's another vehicle in your blind spot and works like a "Curb Alert" when pulling into a parking space and you get too close to anything. But what really blew my mind is when you activate your "Cruise Control" it actually maintains your preset distance from the vehicle in front of you and actually applies the brakes and stops behind another vehicle without you having to apply the brakes. These features may involve nothing more than an addition of software or simply a program addition to the existing system.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
But what really blew my mind is when you activate your "Cruise Control" it actually maintains your preset distance from the vehicle in front of you and actually applies the brakes and stops behind another vehicle without you having to apply the brakes. These features may involve nothing more than an addition of software or simply a program addition to the existing system.
My understanding is that non-optical techniques are used to achieve this, notably low-power "radar".

That's not to say that the PDR isn't a nice option for the C7, but it wouldn't be useful for any "active" vehicle systems that I can think of, unless it operated in spectrums that exceed human capability (like infra-red), and you could then get an active warning of a deer in the road beyond visual range at night (as one example).

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
My understanding is that non-optical techniques are used to achieve this, notably low-power "radar".

That's not to say that the PDR isn't a nice option for the C7, but it wouldn't be useful for any "active" vehicle systems that I can think of, unless it operated in spectrums that exceed human capability (like infra-red), and you could then get an active warning of a deer in the road beyond visual range at night (as one example).
I seem to recall Caddy had an infrared forward sensor called "Cadillac night vision" as an option.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The post are pointing out the futures. I view the total Nav/Audio/Weather features residing on a "platform" that could accommodate many features. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I can confirm also that NAV comes with PDR.

And I rode in a new Audi last weekend and it had the same active cruise control with the front sensors like tmcternan was talking about. Man, that was cool the whole auto-speed adjust and auto-braking thing.

My question now is, since the PDR has a front camera, does it ONLY record where you're going or do we have a constant front camera view we can bring up on the infotainment system screen too? If I can see while I'm parking, maybe I won't need to add on the curb alert system?

I've not heard about any kind of active cruise control, so I think we won't have that for 2015, but I wonder if the front camera does stuff besides the plain data recording? Has anyone asked this?

And I don't see the code 427/435 was mentioning "UVF" on the lists. Is this a camera for those that DON'T get the PDR? Or a camera that does other things separate from the PDR one? (That doesn't make sense to have two, so I'm thinking that's not the logical answer.)

Anyone?

·
Registered
10,424 Posts

The 2014 Cadillac ATS uses a forward-facing camera mounted on the rear-view mirror to view the lane markings. It buzzes the driver's seat if you drift too close to either side of your lane and get close to the line. Drift to the right and you get a right butt cheek buzz. Drift to the left and it buzzes you on the left. However, if you turn your signal light on in one direction, it disables the buzzing in that direction for as long as the signal light is on, so you can leave the lane in that direction and not get the buzz.

It is pretty cool.

So, yes, the front-facing camera is already being used for something other than PDR in a different GM car, and it works fabulously (even if lane drifting in a curve it works, and, on the other hand, it does not give false errors even in a sharp curve)! I have been really impressed with it.

Reactions: Mobius
1 - 11 of 11 Posts