Stingray Corvette Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 Z07 vs Audi R8 which should i buy?

18K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  elegant 
#1 ·
Like the title says. Im kinda kicking back and fourth between the audi r8 and Z07 package on the Z06. Ive had a 2001 c5 vet and liked it so much i went and bought a brand new 2009 z51 in 2008. I had i supercharged and etc etc..well now im in the debate of which do you think would be better overall? by the way im 22 years old and work 7 days a week and itll be more then likely my daily.

#2 ·
Two totally different cars. You do realize the Z07 is a track package, with a very firm suspension and Pilot Cup streetable competition tires ( poor wet performance and very short life, typically less than 10k miles?). Not really what I would call a daily driver.

#3 ·
Same dilema I have. Once you look beyond performance, its simple. Next gen R8 is just around the corner, making the current manual offering that much more special as chances are it will be the last gated manual offered. Used ones are near bottom of the depreciation curve. If the R8 lineage turns out well, these first gen gated manuals are going to be invaluable. cannot say the same for C7Z, as soon as C8 is out it will plummet in value. Hold on to R8, could always dump it for Z later and might even end up with equity.

#5 · (Edited)
I hope this will help you.
R8 Pros
1. EXOTIC! meaning only limited numbers are made, value of the car in the long run MIGHT increase further and can be a good investment like Jay Leno said.
2. Due to the exotic nature there is what we called EXCLUSIVITY. There are 30k vettes out there in the world and a little number of R8, depends on your area if there are many. Surely many will turn heads to your car just like ferrari and lambo and etc.
3. Lamborghini engine 5.2L V10, nice revving sound. That roar! attracts younger generation a lot! Lamborghini's luxury equipment with the Audi logo of-course.
4. R8 is known for good car for daily driving.
5. Great at corners due to AWD and helps in snow and rainy season. Great handling overall
6. Great S-Tronic gear box.
7. This is not confirmed yet but they MIGHT add an electric motor and further increase the HP.
8. You can show off to other people that you are rich.
9. It is hand made, a true art and there is a passion with the car

R8 cons
1. Due to its exotic nature, expect a higher insurance, higher price, higher maintenance cost (It is hand made! the labor cost is quite high), Thirsty engine and drinks a lot of premium gas (not a problem with those who are rich and does not worry always going for gas station)
2. With the current R8 or even if they bump the hp a little bit, vette is still faster.
3. Vette do have a convertible in nature, even in coupe version we have the removable roof. While the R8 does not have that flexibility. However I like the styling of R8 spyder just like the lamborghini.
4. Not to mention your trunk space is 4cubic ft. and it is quite small even for a luggage.
5. Not a great car for crossing countries or state. Not good for long travels.

Z06 Pros
1. Cheaper than r8
2. Faster than r8
3. Nice new styling
4. Huge hatchback space or trunk-space for vert
5. Lower insurance cost, maintenance cost, repair cost
6. Convertible in nature
7. Cylinder deactivation
8. Good interior (I wish they returned the leather on the passenger side just like the stingray)
9. Parts are easy to find compared to exotics
10. Great traveling car
11. Fun to drive

Z06 cons
1. Just another vette. "The old man's car" (Maybe due to its old styling and color like that cooper orange)
2. There is 1 Ferrari 1 Lambo 1 Koenigsegg 1 R8 1 Mclaren and there are thousands of vette. (Not that exclusive)
3. No Exotic feeling (subjective aspect and viewer aspect)
4. RWD - I don't actually know if this is a Pros or Cons, it maybe be both depending on your location and situation.
5. Attracts older generation, Try attracting those beautiful young girls with a vette, you might get something like this >>>
6. Value depreciates over time

Summary and my opinion:
Buy the car that you can afford and you will enjoy, In my situation R8 was my first affordable exotic however Z06 offers speed and versatility and a lot cheaper but not an exotic car. My opinion about this matter is that wait for a year after that Z06 hype went down and to know what problems you might encounter in both cars. If i were in your situation I will wait first then buy later when all hype went down. Also newer cars will be up soon like Hellcat Charger, 4doors 5 passenger capacity 707hp 650ft tq. or The 2016 Mustang with 750hp and unknown specs yet.

Buying a car is like buying a computer, there are always something better around the corner!
-its either you enjoy it now and sell it later or save now and buy later.

To address your Z06 vs Z07 problem: Z06 is great on the road and Z07 for track. If you track a lot go for z07 if minimal or not go for z06.

#7 · (Edited)
Two totally different cars in different price ranges. I'll assume you're only considering the Audi R8 V10. If I'm correct, and if money isn't as factor, then R8 V10 would be my choice with the new dual clutch auto. Of course, it's about double the price of a new Z06. IMO, the R8 is more comfortable as a daily driver with AWD etc. My brother n law has a 2014 and it's awesome.

If you're even considering the R8 V8, then I'd go with the Z06. If you've done your homework on the Z06, then you wouldn't be considering the Z07 package as a daily driver.

And you're 22 lol.. Tough decisions for a young man. I was 26 when I bought my first expensive car: a 1999 Acura NSX. It had 1300 miles on it and I paid $76k.

#11 ·
Hi,

New to the forum and my first post. I'm currently considering buying the Z06/Z07 but it will cost me a lot more than you guys pay for it as essentially any car on sale in the USA that gets imported across to the UK after getting VAT and import duty added ends up being a straight $ to £ conversion.

I find this thread interesting as although not that common here, the R8 would be considered the common car and the Z06 the rare metal simply because in the whole country there will probably be less than a dozen Z06s. The thing for me is as nice as the Audi R8 looks and goes I have a feeling the Z06 will run circles around it and many other cars. Also parked next to an R8, Porsche, Lambo in the UK (I say UK but you could probably make it Europe) it will be the Z06 that grabs all the attention just because most people will never have seen one or know what it is.

I always intended on buying the previous Z06 but just never got around to it. My only issue is that I won't be able to test drive one before I order if I do so I'll have to rely on road tests and comments from those of you in the States to get a good idea. However as the Stingray has had very good rwrite ups from the UK press I can only imagine the Z06 to be better in every way.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since you are living in UK then buy Z06 as it is more exotic there than R8, Don't ask me about the price cause I don't know the added price in UK, but for the parts it will be easy to find. Z06 is fun to drive also.

-Originally Posted by ZeeshanFarooq29 : It's possible. I'm 22 and I have 2014 s550 2011 bmw 750i 2014 stingray (sold) taking delivery of my 2015 stingray. I have a Z06 on order. 2 lamborghini huracan on order. 2 bmw i8's on order and 2 bentley suv on order. Nothing is impossible. Age is just a number. If you can afford it. Go for it.-

Dude I assume your a forex investor or another stock market investor. With stock market you can earn 10k usd within 15mins only.

#12 ·
It's possible. I'm 22 and I have 2014 s550 2011 bmw 750i 2014 stingray (sold) taking delivery of my 2015 stingray. I have a Z06 on order. 2 lamborghini huracan on order. 2 bmw i8's on order and 2 bentley suv on order. Nothing is impossible. Age is just a number. If you can afford it. Go for it.

#15 ·
Thanks for the response guys, Ive made up my mind. Yes ive done lots of research on the Z07 VS Z06 but if i was going corvette i would do the Z07 package with no question. Also on the R8 i would be doing the v10 or if the 16 has a different option but makes more power ill be going that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.