Stingray Corvette Forum banner

2015 ZO6 Rotor

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Chaz ZR1 
#1 ·
Hi guys:

Does anyone know what rotor will come in standard for ZO6? If I don't want the Z07 package, can I still get to choose ceramic matric rotor as an upgrade? Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Steel rotors are standards, CF rotors are only available as part of the Z07 package and cannot be ordered separately. BTW, from the looks of the steel brakes they are a massive 2 piece unit with aluminum hats, just like the $5000 big brake kits from Brembo.

#10 ·
I could be wrong here, but from what I learned over the years the 2-piece steel rotors are pretty massive and should be more than enough for most of us. The whole idea behind the carbon ceramic brake rotors is they run cooler and don't react to heat like their steel counterparts (No Fading) on the race track. Therefore, unless one is planning on using their Z06 extensively for track use, they make absolutely no sense at all for the rest of us. Yes, I know they're kinda exotic and look cool and all that, but is it yet another one of those things of Want versus Needs? The availability of the CCB's together with the fact they're only available on the Z07 package should speak volumes...... Just my two cents...

#11 ·
The first couple years of the C6 ZR1, when you bought the ZR1, Chevy gave you a 2-day track driving school at Ron Fellows' track in Pahrump, Nevada, 50 or so miles west of Las Vegas. So I took the course and we drove their C6 Z06s and C6 ZR1s. Now, we were not driving the cars "ten tenths" like a race driver in competition would, but we did get on them pretty good, just not for long periods of time. The most noticeable difference between the Z06 and ZR1 was not the greater power the ZR1 had, it was the ZR1's ceramic brakes -- they were just so much better than the steel Z06 brakes when you hit them hard. The other advantage ceramic brakes have, which is HUGE in California, is that they don't throw black brake dust onto the wheels! I am getting them again on my C7 Z06 although you can't just buy the $7995 Z07 package (which is mostly the ceramic brakes) by itself. They make you buy the $3995 ground effects package in addition. To me, the ceramic brakes are worth the $7995 because you use them every time you drive the car, but the ground effects are worth nothing to me personally.

#13 ·
Not only want Vs. Need, but COST. Not sure how long they take to wear out, but you can't go down to your local auto zone and DIY cut em yourself. Thats a pricey brake job. The steel rotors are much easier to maintain. Thats why I gave up my GTR, I LOATHE 4000 dollar brake jobs.

#14 ·
The steel rotors are not easier to maintain, just the opposite! The carbon matrix ceramic rotors have a service life of over 90,000 miles. And they do not have to be replaced when you install new brake pads. Most manufacturers recommend installing new steel rotors every time you install new pads; with ceramic rotors you don't have to do that.
In my opinion, the most important part of a car, including Corvette, is not the engine; it is the brakes. Since I am getting a Z06 with the more powerful LT4 engine, I want it to have the better brakes too.
By the way, the $4000 GTR brake job -- that is with steel rotors, right?
Car and Driver's Z06 test car, with the Z07 pkg ceramic brakes, stopped from 70 mph in 128 feet. C&D's test on the $152,000 Nissan GTR Nismo, with steel rotors, took 145 feet to stop from 70 mph. A whole lot of nasty, painful, expensive things can happen in that extra 17 feet! Best to get the ceramic brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.