Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here come the rumors (or are they just breaking facts) again, though this time not on April Fools Day. The latest ones are a) the return of the lower-price entry Corvette, and b) that both the front fascia and the rear diffuser will be different on the standard 2015 StingRay. Had to re-read the following article because it is not taking about the rear fascia, nor the taillights, but about the black carbon flash lower piece, the diffuser. No pictures, nor additional details are given, though thankfully these rumors can be put to bed either at the upcoming, two-week-away New York Auto Show, or, at the latest, at the April 24-26th NCM Bash when the new model year Corvettes are typically revealed. And, a third rumor, c) at the very end of the article, note the predicted change to a smaller motor. Are these rumors for real? Checked the media.gm.com web site and it is not confirming any of these rumors, nor is the New York Auto Show site.

Or, is the new model not going to be any of the above three rumors, but a major surprise, the 2015 Z06 convertible that we have talked about before. Inquiring minds want to know....

imotortimes said:
Is Chevrolet about to introduce a new cheaper version of the Corvette this month at the New York Auto Show? Chevrolet just announced what models it's going to debut at the show and in addition to a new small Chevrolet car, a new version of the Corvette is also going to debut.

Earlier this year Chevrolet unveiled the Corvette Z06 and C7.R models at the Detroit Auto Show and while both models will also be on stage at the New York Auto Show, a new variant is also going to debut. Chevrolet did not provide any other details about the new Corvette, but could it actually be a cheaper version of the new Corvette? Last year Motor Trend reported that Chevrolet is working on a new version of the Corvette Stingray, which would just be called the Corvette Coupe.

According to the reports, the Corvette Coupe is expected to debut for the 2015 model year with a unique front fascia and a modified rear diffuser. Most importantly, the Corvette Stingray's 450-hp 6.2L V8 will be removed and in its place the Corvette Coupe will be powered by a 5.3L V8 with around 400 horsepower.

Stay tuned!
New 2015 Corvette To Debut At NY Auto Show: Entry Price Vette Rumored [REPORT]

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Hey John, there is one correction to your point b) above. The article does not say that the 2015 StingRay may have a different front fascia and rear diffuser. What it said was that a new entry-level, non-StingRay Coupe would have a different front fascia and rear diffuser. I suppose that is to help differentiate it from the more expensive StingRay. This new entry-level, non-StingRay is referred to as the "Corvette Coupe".

Reactions: MYKZDRM and elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for pointing that out. Need all the collective help.

Autoblog.com is chiming in on the NYAS debuts, stating:

"The 2014 New York Auto Show is just around the corner, and today, we've learned that Chevrolet will have three major debuts in the Big Apple. According to the automaker, Chevy will be bringing "a new variant of the seventh-generation Corvette" to the show, as well as "an important new addition to our small-vehicle lineup" along with an updated 2015 Cruze."

Still thinking it is a Z06 convertible, that there will not be a "discounted" Corvette Coupe.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
For me it's hard to to believe the "cheaper" Stingray the coupe part. They tried this before and failed. Not sure just changing a few exterior parts and the motor is really going to make it that more affordable. To make enough of a difference I would say at least $10K would have to come off the sticker price of today's Stingray. A few $K is just not going to be a big enough incentive especially if it's less attractive looking. My $.02

·
Registered
582 Posts
Had a guy in a parking lot the other day ask about my car... he says I see you went with the non-Stingray base model. I was like huh? I said all the new corvettes are stingrays... he looks at the side of my car... but there's not a stingray on the side. I laugh and said the first modification was the removal of the sperm. Maybe he read some rumor of a base model coupe being secretly sold out the back door of the plant. :p

Reactions: akpancake

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, here we to again. GM messing with success! Why on earth would they want to dilute the 'experience' since they already can't build what is being ordered! The Corvette deserves its place in the market without GM getting stupid with it. While I agree with some logical changes to differentiate one year to the next, the alleged changes such as a smaller/lower power engine makes no sense to me. Well, regardless, I plan on enjoying my new car without worrying about their questionable future decisions. Obviously, their 'corporate culture' hasn't changed in spite of their brush with bankruptcy.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a picture of the new 2015 lower-cost Corvette Coupe (the ones being snuck out the back door of the plant as per Texas2Gun's post).

Note the changed front fascia.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The alternate seating position undoubtedly delivers a much better view of the road and helps prevent back-up impacts.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
They don't have enough engineers to re calibrate the the A8 for the StingRay because everyone on the Corvette team are working on the Z06, where would they find the staff to build something no one in the world really wants?

Besides, the current stingray is considered one of the best performance bargains in the world, why would you pollute the brand with a SlowRay?

They have a lower priced Corvette, it's called a Camaro.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why I believe it will be a Z06 convertible. There were two of these 'vert mules running around last fall. Note identical to the Z wheels.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Had a guy in a parking lot the other day ask about my car... he says I see you went with the non-Stingray base model. I was like huh? I said all the new corvettes are stingrays... he looks at the side of my car... but there's not a stingray on the side. I laugh and said the first modification was the removal of the sperm. Maybe he read some rumor of a base model coupe being secretly sold out the back door of the plant. :p
That's funny. ;) What did you do with the badges you removed?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
John, What is on the rear of this test mule, attached to the quarters centered on wheels?

SF
Rick

Why I believe it will be a Z06 convertible. There were two of these 'vert mules running around last fall. Note identical to the Z wheels.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John, What is on the rear of this test mule, attached to the quarters centered on wheels? SF. Rick
Believe is a combination of testing measurement equipment and a transmitter.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
John, Thank you, It's nice to be well informed

SF
Rick

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
John, What is on the rear of this test mule, attached to the quarters centered on wheels?

SF
Rick
Oh man, I thought those were some new fangled curb feelers. Kind of of a high tech version of boat trailer cheaters. ;) ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts