Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The 2020 Corvette is an engineering masterpiece, considering the price. Three car of the year awards, discussions in every car magazine around the world. So, in September I put my money down and placed my order. Well, GM had labor issues and the work at Bowling Green stop for 40 days and 40 nights (not sure if this is a biblical thing or not). Naturally I contacted my dealer to discuss the effects of the work stoppage on the delivery date, of course no one knew. But I doggedly continued my flight of fantasy to discover when I might be getting this engineering marvel.
Well so facts that your dealer probably doesn't know (because I went to several dealers and discussed with the General Managers and not one knew of what I am about to tell you...so read carefully!
On the GM Corvette web site if you have a bona fide "order number" you have a concierge assigned to you to answer you questions or get answers to those questions that he or she may not be able to answer. Very, Very nice and informative representatives. Like I found out the day my Corvette will be built, and its not in February馃槱
Then surprise: According to my concierge it may take up to 8 weeks of prep and testing before the vehicle can be delivered to the Dealer! Yep that is right! So all of you 40,000 or so buyers that the GM Executives are saying have purchased a Corvette (apparently GM 2020 Corvette C8s are sold out), those like myself that placed our orders first for the LT 3 with accessories, expecting to get it some time in the first quarter of 2020, the answer right now is, NO! Now the concierge politely stated that it was solely due to the work stoppage. Ok, my math is pretty good, the stoppage was 40 days, before the work stoppage they were going to start the C8 build in December and delivery late January or early February. Plus they needed to build the last 7,000 C7s (which by the way with a random discussion of several dealer GMs, they really didn't want those cars, because of the hype with the C8, each car would be a loser in profit and time). Not a GM dealer that I talked to around the Country has said otherwise, I would say call them but after this post, the meetings will fly, so they may have a canned answer.
So, whats the worry, I just have to wait a little more...right? Not so easy, actually. To order a car based on the representations that GM has made around the world (now that is impressive) every critic of cars have said the same "The C8 Corvette is a GAME CHANGER". Further, apparently GM has had enough C8s to let practically every magazine editor, or blogger have one to drive if they write about it. GM has developed a terrific web site to build and buy, I used it many times, fantastic. In fact it was so good GM sold 40,000 C8 Corvettes without having to build the first one for a customer. Think of it! GM built a web site and with their dealers sold over 40,000 C8 Corvettes with more representations on a car then I or the industry may have ever seen before and they never have sold and delivered the first one to a customer and may not until late March due to all of the prep work (per car according to the concierge). Further in my case if my car is delayed until delivery in May 2020, the C8 Z06 with all of the new accessories for the 2021 models will be out and ready for delivery in July 2020, a month away from when I am being told my car will be ready OMG thank God the GM of my dealership heard what the concierge said, even he was taken aback with that discussion.
OOooops guess this could be a "Burn Notice". Get the 2018 delivery of the C8 2020 and lose value a month later when the 2021 C8 comes out.
WONDER?馃 GM says it has 40,000 C8s sold to customers, the delivery of those cars will go on for the rest of the year. Now all of the GM Dealers say they want the 2021 out this time in JULY 2020, because they are getting feedback from some very angry customers, and it is only going to get worse concerning the 2020 C8 Corvette delivery times. The fear is simple: When February comes and goes and they are not delivering the C8, because they are in prep and testing, the General Managers are on the front line dealing with some very pissed off customers. THIS WILL NOT GO UN-NOTICE by the car industry that is always searching for BAD NEWS!.
The REAL PROBLEM is: GM has over promised and now will underdeliver...literally. Staying quiet and letting customers (like me) have to do a lot of work to discover these facts, a bit deceptive and unfair. I actually had to go to my dealer start the conference call so that he could hear on his own, what I stated above.
SUGGESTION: GM needs to place more experience workers on the line and they need to apologize and get the real facts out as to the 2020 C8 delivery and the 2021 C8 models and when those will be released. Do not let your loyal customers bare the cost of depreciation mixed with anticipation only to be disappointed on the road and in the wallet. For those customers that ordered and placed their money on the 2020 C8, don't let them be the ones that have to do all the leg work to get the answers: GM you have the concierge for these customers, tell them to call the customers and give them the answers as they get them. For those dealers that are cute and take orders for the C8, but put the orders in a dealers, better get it right with them. Because it will be your problem, reflecting on GM, you know the big gorilla in the room to which you make your living on!
Mountain Keith

Administrator
Welcome to our forum Mountain Keith.

Registered
GM says it has 40,000 C8s sold to customers, the delivery of those cars will go on for the rest of the year. Now all of the GM Dealers say they want the 2021 out this time in JULY 2020, because they are getting feedback from some very angry customers, and it is only going to get worse concerning the 2020 C8 Corvette delivery times.
I've got my 2020 on order, and it should go to 3000 status over the next week.

GM couldn't do anything about the strike, which has imposed about a 2 month delay on C8 production and delivery.

The first C8s should be in customer hands in March, and I hope to see mine in early April (if not sooner).

As for all dealers (your words) wanting the 2021s to come out in July 2020, that's just silly. :)

I expect that we'll see the 2021s available to order in the October-December timeframe, given the number of 2020s that need to be build to meet existing orders.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

GM couldn't do anything about the strike, which has imposed about a 2 month delay on C8 production and delivery.

The first C8s should be in customer hands in March, and I hope to see mine in early April (if not sooner).

As for all dealers (your words) wanting the 2021s to come out in July 2020, that's just silly. :)

I expect that we'll see the 2021s available to order in the October-December timeframe, given the number of 2020s that need to be build to meet existing orders.
rsvette51

I agree with your statements. While I did say that all of the GM dealers would like the 2021 Corvette specifically the Z06 in July, wanting and having are two different ideas. Further the Z06, from an image, which is all that the Corvette is, which is great, having a 2021 Z06 Corvette on the showroom floor at the right time is a dealer's dream.

As far as expectations, my letter to the forum is to motivate GM, to get their "industry changing" product to the market as promised. Having the "concierge" state that the prep and inspection from the date of manufacture will be 4 to 8 weeks is ridiculous, and shows that there is a problem or potential problem with "burning in" the systems required to produce the vehicles.

The GENERAL MANAGER of the dealer of purchase explained to me that they expect the vehicle within a couple of weeks or less after production, he has never heard of 4 to 8 weeks, and did not believe me until he heard it for himself. Clearly this dealership has the list of customers of the 3000 and the date of manufacture and was under the impression that the dealership would get the vehicle soon thereafter. May have made a few mis-representations based on past experiences to some customers.

But don't take my word for it, if you have a bonafide order number go onto the GM "Corvette" web-site call the (855) number (believe that is what it is) request a concierge. Then simply give him or her your order number and get the facts. They will tell you the approximate build date, subject to change without notice to the buyer, and that as of today the prep time before delivery to the dealer will be four to eight weeks.

So far as GM history goes with the 2020 Corvette, making a projected time of any kind has been all but non-existent. If for example as with my order, it is for the middle of March for manufacture, there is a probability that delivery will be near the middle of May 2020, for a paid order made in September 2019. Clearly GM had their Corvette web-site up shortly after the July 2019 launch date, anyone could place an order, the GM dealer would call you, give you the details and if you wanted an LT 3 with certain colors and add-ons they gave you a date as early as January. Then the strike! GM expects to start production in February according to the concierge.

As always, forums should only be accepted as one's opinion. While I did as much research as I could, by being able to contact dealers in person and by phone (there are a ton of GM dealers in Florida by the way), I have on each occasion recommended that those that read my brief opinion go check out for themselves.

One fact that I know of: Anyone that has ordered a LT 3 with the appropriate color and options early in the process, will be in the 3000 and GM will give you all of the facts that are available through the concierge, a company which is not owned by GM according to my representative. But they have constant meetings with GM management and given the appropriate information they wish to give to their Corvette customers.

Another fact: It has been stated that the 2020 Corvette is sold out, with a number reaching almost 40,000 vehicles. A surprising number. Further it has been stated by a number of experts that the base model actually is a loser with regards to profitability to GM. What we don't know is how many of the 40,000 Corvettes are the base model? We do know that once the "line" and production software has been debugged (the burn-in stage) the production of the 2021 Corvette models will be far easier and with far less issues that those produced in the first 3000. But since the Corvette may never have been produced at the number of vehicles as anticipated in 2020, GM is a business for profit, expect the base model to be a limited production unit, and the LT 2 and LT 3 along with the big Z06 and ZR 1 models to be the choice production vehicles to rival and surpass Ferrari, the Lambo, and others, but there is always the BUGATTI.

Mountain Keith

Registered
Welllll, I get it ,your anxious. And certainly cant blame you. I would be if I was in your shoes. That being said as has been mentioned there will not be a 2021 Stingray in July of 2020 . So rest assured the resale of your 2020 won't collapse as a one year old car. Manufactures have been moving the date around for decades of popular models . Yes usually production ramps up late summer of the prior year and cars can be seen in showrooms in the fall of some models but it is not unusual to have to wait until the following Spring for some models to finally make to the dealers.
JMO but take a breath and relax . Your C8 is coming and congratulations on the purchase. All this will go away with that first press of the button and the car awakens under your control. And many of us will looking for you lucky 40K owners on the roads and be envious when you pass us by.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Good assessment. Dealers will be a bit of a problem owned one so know what it takes to make money. Too much work so moved on.
GM has an interesting issue, this vehicle does little for the bottom line. It is the image of Chevy, to set it apart. They will come out in July with a Z 06 and maybe a ZR 1. But that model may take another year.

the ability for GM to manufacture 40K vettes in as little as six month鈥檚 won鈥檛 happen. Just physics, the laws are what they are.
My problem is simple for the first 3000 they want perfection so each car will go through weeks of testing then it arrives perfect to the dealer and they charge over $500 to prep the car. Which means they run it through a car wash.

save me!

this could have been avoided but it is what it is. A March 16 build date and a May delivery date, and I bought it in September.

Administrator
My problem is simple for the first 3000 they want perfection so each car will go through weeks of testing then it arrives perfect to the dealer and they charge over $500 to prep the car. Which means they run it through a car wash.

save me!
Dealers do not charge anything to prep a car to the new buyer, unless they sell some form of their own finish protection.

Registered
You place way too much trust on what the Concierge says. As of today, there is a possibility that shipping could start as early as Feb 13. That news was given to dealers today. Supposedly, there is a meeting on 2/13 to decide if the QC Hold should continue or not. QC hold does NOT involve testing every car built. They simply hold all cars built, randomly test/examine a sample. If no build issues are identified in the random sample, they will make the decision to release the hold. Once the QC hold ends, all subsequent C8's built will be released to shipping as soon as they are built. If you have a March TPW, chances are pretty good that your car will ship shortly after it is built.

It was also announced today that 2021 MY production will start 9/1, so 2020 MY production will be 7 months.

As for the "sold out" comments, 2020 MY production is NOT sold out to the end consumer. For example, MacMulkin (#2 Corvette dealer) still has some 2020 MY allocations available. They are sold out in terms of all production has been spoken for by dealers. Dealers have agreed to accept the quantities of 2020 C8's that GM expects to build.

Lastly, if your dealer is charging you anything to "prep your car" you are getting ripped off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts