Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for fun I'm building (online) a order for 2022 C8 with Z51 package. Final pics I see that the brake discs are not slotted nor vented.
My 2016 C7 Z51 had such. Is this something they cut back on?
Just curious. No lives hang in the balance.;)

·
Administrator
17,207 Posts
I believe you are correct. I pulled up and enlarged images of member C8 Z51s and where I could see the rotors clearly, none were slotted. I also just used the GM configurator and here are two rotor images and neither are slotted:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Administrator
17,207 Posts

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,077 Posts
Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Here's a Brembo press release on the C8 brakes:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
GM said the rotors are not slotted because of new legal requirements for brake pad materials, that apparently either don't need or don't get along with slotted rotors.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As I noted they are not either on the configurator or on those Z51 C8s that members currently have in their possession. For example see the wheel shot at Wahoo: Pictures of your C8
and at New to the vette? NORMAL things the vette does.....
and at Wahoo: Pictures of your C8
These are all Z51s and none have slotted rotors.
My 22 did not have drilled or slotted rotators. My friend changed his on his C6 new pads drilled/slotted rotors I for about $500, they look wonderful. I was thinking but decided not to spend the cash since mine have a lot of life in them, maybe if I hit the lottery…..

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,443 Posts
Here's a Brembo press release on the C8 brakes:
Thanks, had not seen that. They could have added the Z51 pads are as dusty as the C7 Z51 and you'll need low dust pads :D Or as I was before replacing the OEM's on my 2014 Z51 cleaning my wheels every ~200 miles.

However there are some other very interesting issues about the Z51 brakes. They are limited in size (not much bigger than the Base C8) and although it stops fine NOT as good as my 2017 Grand Sport with it's 6 piston front calipers and vacuum assisted versus 4 piston front and rear and eBoost! Now NOT taking about panic stop distance that are more dependent on tire size but normal aggressive braking prior to a turn. They are fine BUT the brakes compared to some other ME cars are small and even those with smaller width tires stop faster. Now why are they limited in size to nowhere near the ME Porsche 718 GT2 example the pic below?

There is an interesting explanation in a video by Jason, Engineering Explained:

You can hunt for it or this is a summary: "He states the C8 does not stop as fast as the C7 even though it should with it's better weight distribution with aggressive braking. In the video he says he discussed with GM engineers who said they limited the size of the rear brakes because in a panic stop any steering input makes the rear end twitchy and it can slide out!"

He is saying what Tadge did in a different way, in an interview about the C8, "His biggest fear when designing the C8 was Oversteer. That was from experience with his dad's early Porsche." I had a similar issue with my modified '67 Corvair I raced. With its 60% rear weight, even since after 1965 when Corvairs had Corvette like parallelogram rear suspension (unlike the early swing axles) it had significant Oversteer if going too fast for a turn. The average driver DID NOT know how to deal with that Oversteer skid and could be off the road rear first in a fraction of a second! Once you learned and practiced driving like a dirt car it was actually fun! Tadge also said it took Porsche decades to solve the issue with 911 types and they had to get it right the 1st try! AND THEY DID! GM engineers know it would not take much to screw up the carefully designed Understeer at the limit!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,443 Posts
So for fun I'm building (online) a order for 2022 C8 with Z51 package. Final pics I see that the brake discs are not slotted nor vented.
My 2016 C7 Z51 had such. Is this something they cut back on?
Just curious. No lives hang in the balance.;)
Hmm, would have to be a <2000 lbs mini-sports car to not have vented rotors! :D

As far a dilled or grooved, got flak with my C6 Z51 drilled rotors as being just "Bling!" Had to agree it was more Bling that functional based on NASCAR and other racing brake rotors! In fact Brembo switched to grooved for my C7 Z51 because drill rotors were cracking at the holes in tough use. The grooves are there to eliminate outgassing issues. BUT modern pads don't outgas! Frankly accept it's mostly Bling and for a fixed size, sold faced vented are best!

Even Motoroso who sell HD Brembo Brake kits for the C8 admitted the main reason for picking their multigroove rotors is "looks!"

These kits offer 15 inch versus the Z51 13.8 inch rotors; with large 62 versus OEM 54 Annulus dimension (outer to inner rotors surface); 34 vs 32 mm thickness and 6 piston versus 4 piston calipers. Not cheap and need proper spoke size wheels, 20 inch fronts!

If you want better brakes these HD Brembo's are the ticket.

Yep Admit My Drilled C6 Z51 Rotors and C7 Grooved Rotors Mostly Just Bling!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the terminology explanation. I learned something.
Vented though would still mean there are spaces between the inside and outside of the rotor correct? Trying to learn.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,443 Posts
Vented though would still mean there are spaces between the inside and outside of the rotor correct? Trying to learn.
Yep, first car I had with disk brakes was my 1974 Datsun 260 Z. It had solid front rotors but only weighed 2500 lbs. My 6 Vettes (1st a 1988) all used vented rotors.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
See post #5 for visual of vented vs non-vented.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts