Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me that the factory shuts down for two weeks, maybe three, over Christmas. At this point my car has a target production week of December 15 so it should be done assembled before Christmas. However, it will sit in the bay for a week or two under a QC hold.

Does anyone have any insight into this shutdown? I am wondering if the entire workforce takes off or is it just the production lineand the smaller cruise that handle things like shipping don't take such a long break...

My hope is that my car comes before Christmas. Too much to ask?

·
Registered
82 Posts
brother, my TPW is also 12/15 and i don't expect mine before mid to late january. No way we're getting it before xmas... (I'm in jersey)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If you are referring to the current Z06 QC hold, read on...

Once the current cars are released from QC hold, future production will not have a QC hold, unless new issues arise.

Also, didn't know BG shut down for any extended period during the holidays. Others may know for certain...

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
If you are referring to the current Z06 QC hold, read on...

Once the current cars are released from QC hold, future production will not have a QC hold, unless new issues arise.

Also, didn't know BG shut down for any extended period during the holidays. Others may know for certain...
If you are doing a NCM pickup every Stingray is required to be on a QC hold for 10 days after being manufactured. No exceptions. This allows for any issues that might show up in the QC checks that are randomly done to specific batches of parts to surface and be resolved before you get to drive your beauty home.

Reactions: Z06 Owned

·
Registered
873 Posts
Last year, we did Museum Delivery on Dec 18th. We started our plant tour early (initially scheduled for the 10:30 slot) as the plant was shutting down early due to the Christmas break. The break lasted till 3 Jan, IIRC. So two weeks is about right. The BGAP website shows blackout days from Dec 22 to Jan 2.

As mentioned, you can't take a Museum Delivery earlier than 14 days after your build date. We didn't even get ours scheduled until after it was built.

·
18,670 Posts
Didn't know BG shut down for any extended period during the holidays. Others may know for certain...
From the official Bowling Green Assembly Plant work calendar, and note these are the holiday, and other special closure dates, do not include typical weekend closure, e.g., Saturdays (95 +% of the time) and Sundays.

Blackout Dates
November 26 - 28, 2014
December 3 - 4, 2014 (factory open but not public accessible due to "future product")
December 11, 2014
December 22 - 31, 2014
January 1 - 2, 2015
January 5, 2015
January 19, 2015
April 3, 2015
July 3, 2015
September 7, 2015

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think they started loading trucks today and tomorrow. Possibly into next week.....then shipping starts just guessing..... Killing time! Any week now!!

·
18,670 Posts
Even though the factory shuts down for two weeks for Christmas, Jack CooperTransport keeps rolling, picking up cars at BGAP and delivering them during the two weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So with what John has just posted with the OFFICIAL closure dates, my TPW is 12/22, so I will guess that my car will be produced the week of 01/06/15. Hope to have her by last week of January in sunny Arizona!!!
My car also has a TPW of 12/22. I am planning doing the buyer's tour so I am curious to see what will happen with that. I saw on another thread that claimed they would be working that Monday and Tuesday of the week of 12/22.

·
18,670 Posts
I saw on another thread that claimed they would be working that Monday and Tuesday of the week of 12/22.
The official factory shut down calendar is posted earlier in this thread (link below for those who want to see it themselves). The official calendar is totally consistent with BGAP's historical practice of a complete two week shutdown of BGAP around Christmas/New Year's.

https://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/#tours

·
Registered
2 Posts
The official factory shut down calendar is posted earlier in this thread (link below for those who want to see it themselves). The official calendar is totally consistent with BGAP's historical practice of a complete two week shutdown of BGAP aroundChristmas/New Year's.

https://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/#tours
Thanks for the link. I will try to get to the bottom of this next week. It is strange that they gave me a TPW of 12/22 if they are planning a shutdown that week.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My car also has a TPW of 12/22. I am planning doing the buyer's tour so I am curious to see what will happen with that. I saw on another thread that claimed they would be working that Monday and Tuesday of the week of 12/22.
Typically, the plant has closed down for the 2 weeks at the end of the year, as Elegant has previously pointed out. But, there are a lot of extra variables this fall - the overall Z06 startup, the weather, the wiring fire...coupled with GM wanting all the revenue they can get by 12/31 and the demand for A8 Z06's bumping against being able to fully vet out the new cooler...and I would not be surprised if things change.

There was a post or two inferring that the plant would be on 8 hour days (versus the presently "normal" 10 hour overtime day) on one or both of the two days they worked this week (Monday & Tuesday). I was trying to monitor my car's build due to Buyer's Tour vs. plant closed days of 12/03 & 12/04; so was trying to understand every detail I could - as pat of that exercise checked and was told they were working 10 hour days on both. Believing that was a last minute change....

So...entirely possible there will be some cars produced on 12/22 & 12/23 - but...to be clear....this is PURE SPECULATION on my part.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello,

What are the odds my car will be delivered to the dealer in NJ (has a TPW of 12/8) by Xmas Eve? Thanks very much.
I would GUESSat about 50/50, with odds improving if your car is built earlier in the week. A day or two after build to be "ready to ship", then trucking company has up to 10 days to get it on a truck, then a couple/few days to get to your dealer. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I thought all C7s had a minimum 2 week hold after production before being scheduled for shipment. No?
Mine was on a truck two days after being built, and was at MacMulkin a week after built.

Reactions: muzzyc7

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,036 Posts
I thought all C7s had a minimum 2 week hold after production before being scheduled for shipment. No?
This is a common misconception and it is probably caused by 2 items that DO generate a 2 week hold. First, as noted previously, the earliest NCM delivery date is 2 weeks after the build date. Second, new model start-ups are held for at least 2 weeks before they start shipping. This happened with the 2014's and now with the Z06's.

Normally, there is no mandatory hold. I had my C6 in my hands just 3 days after it was built.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Being retired law enforcement, knowing what it's like to work all holidays, Christmas was always the most special and difficult to work. I always felt everyone should be home with their families on that particular holiday. Later, after building up seniority, able to have Christmas off every year, I decided to take shifts for some of the younger officers for (Free) as a gift to their families so they could wake up Christmas morning with their children and experience the magic of Christmas with their young ones. I didn't need the overtime, and they may not have accumulated enough vacation days at that time of the year.

When I learned of GM shutting down the BGAP the last couple of weeks of the year during the Christmas Holidays, I felt a great deal of joy and deep appreciation for GM not losing sight of what's really important. The sense of appreciation for GM's management retaining true core values for their employees and what a wonderful company GM must be to work for. Sure, there maybe some that might take it for granted, but nonetheless, it reinforces the feeling I've been provided that GM is a great company to work for and who cares about their employees. We all get caught up in our own individual wants and desires, but what the hell difference is it going to make for a two or three week delay in taking delivery of our new Stingrays and Z06's. We should be so lucky to be in a position of taking delivery of them at all. Keep your eye on the ball and bigger picture.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts