Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Corvette related but for you car guys or gals. The original Bullet 68 Ford Fast Back Mustang in Highland green and essentially untouched since "the day" Steve McQueen took it for a ride in San Francisco chasing bad guys in their 68 Dodge Charger crossed the auction block today and sold for $3.4 million . That's about 3.7 with the 10% in fees to Mechum.
Not to bad for a car that cost $3500. bucks new in 1968
Pretty cool story and car .

·
Administrator
15,681 Posts
Pretty cool. Now, finally this is worth something ;);)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty cool. Now, finally this is worth something ;);)

View attachment 276632
Pretty cool momento just the same.
Sometimes i forget how long ago that was. Bet more than a few members have no idea why anyone would pay over 3 million for a beat up 68 Mustang.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
15,681 Posts
Pretty cool momento just the same.
Sometimes i forget how long ago that was. Bet more than a few members have no idea why anyone would pay over 3 million for a beat up 68 Mustang.

Thanks. Indeed :cool:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yeah I saw the auction and it was pretty cool . But too bad the owner didn't take care of the car. Looked like a lot of dents and rust. Wonder if the dents were from the movie or from subsequent use. E.g. there were a number of dents on the roof near the passenger door--an unusual spot for dents. Did not know that there was a national Department of the interior Historic national historic vehicle register No. 21 designation, or a historic engineering record TN-53. Googled the list and found a very eclectic group of vehicles and not all ones I would consider historic, such as a rusty beat up VW bus with flat tires, or Ferris Beuller's fake Ferrari and some custom cars of quesiotnable appearance. Oh well, good idea though, Here's a link: Vehicles on the Register - Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) --Bob

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I saw the auction and it was pretty cool . But too bad the owner didn't take care of the car. Looked like a lot of dents and rust. Wonder if the dents were from the movie or from subsequent use. E.g. there were a number of dents on the roof near the passenger door--an unusual spot for dents. Did not know that there was a national Department of the interior Historic national historic vehicle register No. 21 designation, or a historic engineering record TN-53. Googled the list and found a very eclectic group of vehicles and not all ones I would consider historic, such as a rusty beat up VW bus with flat tires, or Ferris Beuller's fake Ferrari and some custom cars of quesiotnable appearance. Oh well, good idea though, Here's a link: Vehicles on the Register - Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) --Bob
Not unusual at all to have many cosmetic issues on these cars. In the day during filming they would have camera mounts attached in key locations for filming etc.
Having worked around these type of film shoots i can tell you the last thing they are concerned with is the future condition of the vehicle..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts