Stingray Corvette Forum banner

3 modes

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dasyatis 
#1 ·
So I just heard the Z06 engine has 3 modes, 4 cylinder, 8 cylinder without blower (term they used) and 8 cylinder with blower.

#2 ·
First production car to be able to run in to three modes. Another GM spokesperson used slightly different words but said essentially the same thing, saying that the Z06 was able to run in ECO four-cylinder mode, or powered as a eight-cylinder, or as a supercharged eight-cylinder.

Amazing the computer and other complexities to make all that happen pretty smoothly, give you the near-instantaneous ability to "jump" between those modes in a seamless manner. No wonder they have ten months of further calibration work and development yet to do.

#4 ·
Assuming the cam is essentially the same, I'd expect a little less power due to the lower compression ratio and drive losses to spin the SC. When boosted, more power...

#5 ·
Wow that is going to be verrrry interesting!:cool:

#6 ·
What would be really cool is like the C4 ZR-1 that had the valet key where if you had to give the car to someone to drive you could keep the key and they would only have 200hp. It would be nice if with the Z06 we could say lock it down in 4 cylinder mode so that "if" someone else, even the dealer, had to drive it they wouldn't have access to all 625+ hp.

#7 ·
I wonder if it will switch between supercharged and not supercharged depending on how your driving or if Touring will be non supercharged and sport and track will be? I'm not sure of the benefit of the supercharger turning off and on!

#8 ·
When in eight-cylinder, non-boosted mode, you save fuel, still probably have 425+ HP. When its on, you get the full gorilla. Good question you raised as to whether this will be tied to the DMS (other than ECO mode when it will be). GM will sort this out over the next ten months of testing. I do long country trips, and perhaps not only will these features allow us to avoid paying $2K or so gas guzzler tax at purchase, but probably get 27-30 MPG when cruising on the interstates. I do like this statement in the press release: "These technologies – combined with the fuel-efficient multi-speed transmissions, aerodynamic design and lightweight construction – help make the new Z06 surprisingly fuel-efficient." Got 29 MPG on my C6 Z06 on my last round trip from Oregon to BG, and that included some adventures to the right side of 100 MPH. Thinking I will be able to do the same in the C7 Z06.

#10 ·
I'm guessing they are going to be using some sort of clutch-activated lower supercharger pulley that can be electronically controlled.
Neat stuff. I wonder how quickly the engagement cycle will be and/or if it will be controlled by throttle position in various modes.
S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.