Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a 48 year old child with a new toy, I have to play with all the buttons and knobs.

I decided to see what I could do to find the peak fuel economy settings - just because.
32 psi tires, eco mode, 7th gear, 55 mph/cruise controlled (the limit on a stretch of straight and level road on my commute), vent-only/no-AC, active engine sound management off, full tank of gas (maximum weight)
44 mpg

I will rerun the experiment soon in a "sportier" configuration.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wow Eric
Over how many miles did you run your test?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
378 Posts
I drove from Eugene Oregon to Portland (Beaverton), 32 psi tires, eco mode, 70-75 mph, raining/wet pavement and between those 2 points got 38 mpg (auto trans.) but it's really hard not to stuff my foot in it, as it's really boring to drive like that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
At the 25.1 avg mpg I got on the 531 miles on the way home from the dealer, I'm happy! My H3 Hummer gets barely over half that on the road. And my c6 z51 averaged 25 on roadtrips.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
So as a 48 year old child with a new toy, I have to play with all the buttons and knobs.

I decided to see what I could do to find the peak fuel economy settings - just because.
32 psi tires, eco mode, 7th gear, 55 mph/cruise controlled (the limit on a stretch of straight and level road on my commute), vent-only/no-AC, active engine sound management off, full tank of gas (maximum weight)
44 mpg

I will rerun the experiment soon in a "sportier" configuration.
Try the experiment in 6th gear too. There is talk that 7th isn't the most efficient gear...would be interested to see what results you would have with yours.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a straight, level 5 mile stretch. Enough for the instantaneous measure to level out.

6th gear tried today, 42 mpg. Both runs were using cruise control

BTW, my best with my 2007 C6/Z51/6-speed was 31.8 over 100 miles, 65 mph cruise control, vent only, 34 psi in tires.

More fun tomorrow.

Eric

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
It's a straight, level 5 mile stretch. Enough for the instantaneous measure to level out.

6th gear tried today, 42 mpg. Both runs were using cruise control

BTW, my best with my 2007 C6/Z51/6-speed was 31.8 over 100 miles, 65 mph cruise control, vent only, 34 psi in tires.

More fun tomorrow.

Eric
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry but I didn't buy a VETTE for this. I own a Prius for that junk.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

But why own and drive a Prius when you can accomplish what the Prius can do with the styling of a Stingray!? :D

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
But why own and drive a Prius when you can accomplish what the Prius can do with the styling of a Stingray!? :D
Bingo! Well said, Jag. By the way, the high fuel economy just makes this car all the more impressive! Talk about being able to do it all!

The high fuel economy makes me want a StingRay EVEN MORE.

Reactions: Texas2Gun

·
Banned
631 Posts
Does not surprise me at all. When we bought our first C6 we went on a trip to Savannah, GA and averaged 32, and could do similar and see 34-35. The weight and the efficiency and gearing allow these to meet some economy cars in MPG and still give super car performance. Yet still get the tree hugging vegan now and then insult us on "how many gallons to the mile" comments, etc.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
At least you didn't say "tree-hugging vegetarian" because then you would have been talking about me. *sigh of relief*

·
Registered
480 Posts

Oh no! Please submit your man card....it has been revoked!

Lol. Just kidding you are a brave man to admit you own a Prius on a corvette forum.

PS...nice color choice on that c7! ;-)

Reactions: akpancake

·
Registered
19 Posts
My new C7 should be here in about 30 days to keep my Tesla S85 and Prius company in my garage. So happy to admit that I appreciate performance and economy at the same time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't question anyone else's choices especially when they have a garage big enough for 3 cars (I'm so jealous), but I am getting a car for all purposes, performance snow tires for canadian winters, roof comes off for canadian summers, car goes fast when I want to go fast, and gets decent mileage when I'm on a roadtrip and just letting the miles cruise by. And my hockey bag and sticks fit in the hatch! I am a happy man.

Reactions: Suzy Cruisy

·
Banned
631 Posts
Sorry Rodney!!!! 2 college girls just verbally assaulted me claiming how I was "killing the earth" and causing all this pollution with my new c6 vette. AT first when they pulled up I thought I was going to get a "cool car" compliment......but they so took me by surprise I didn't have any come-back until they drove off yelling about my "gas hog phalic symbol" .

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Sorry Rodney!!!! 2 college girls just verbally assaulted me claiming how I was "killing the earth" and causing all this pollution with my new c6 vette. AT first when they pulled up I thought I was going to get a "cool car" compliment......but they so took me by surprise I didn't have any come-back until they drove off yelling about my "gas hog phalic symbol" .
Of course they have no idea that the "carbon footprint" of a Prius is greater than a Suburban.........

·
Registered
504 Posts
Very few owners know anything about the tremendous resources used to make their high tech batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: Suzy Cruisy

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Of course they have no idea that the "carbon footprint" of a Prius is greater than a Suburban.........
Over the life of the vehicle, the Prius comes out as a clear winner with total carbon footprint that is very low.

One study found that 75% of the carbon emissions related to production of a conventional car came from producing the car’s steel. Study: Electrics, hybrids have lower carbon footprints than conventional vehicles

Clearly, the elimination of a vehicle's steel body panels is the first place to start when producing a "green" vehicle (in particular, a Lime Rock Green vehicle).

All the more reason to "Drive a Corvette, and help save the Planet(TM)".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts