Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
RallyFan,

You won't go wrong with any of the C7 variants. I have a 2014 (January Build) with the A6 transmission. I rarely use the paddles.
I did use them a lot to downshift when I was on the race track near the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, KY.
My Nieces Father In Law picked up a used 2014 with the A6 earlier this past summer, no issues with the A6 trans.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. The TSB said fluid and the check ball issue mentioned earlier was for the A6, not A8. As always, verify what is posted here as sometimes inadvertent mix ups occur.

While I have 40K miles on my A8 2016, I kinda regret not getting the 7MT. I only got the A8 for resale ( had nightmare selling my 5 speed 2006 Mustang GT convertible - simply very few people that drive ( or want) a manual transmission sports car).

Heresy but reality.

The 7MT struck me as outdated on the C7. No doubt fun but 7 speeds on a 455HP 1LT? When I test drove it, shifting wasn’t really necessary with the abundant torque ( daily street driving, not track).

But nearly 4 years later, I do wish I got the 7MT. Resale be damned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I own a 2015 C7 LT2 Z51 with a Manual 7 speed. I have never had any issues whatsoever and it is fun to drive. So far 20,000 miles. A real sportscar has to be red, convertible and MANUAL!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, if I had my druthers and were new to the C7 market I would look for a 7 MT. I own an early 2014with one and never regretted it. Silky smooth shifts(once warmed up) and great gas mileage(shift @ low rpm) or great acceleration ([email protected] redline). Sure you’ll never need 7th but it’s great for gas mileage on Texas 80 posted speed limits highway travel . As far as resale, with the demise of the MT in general in high performance sports cars, I predict these will come into high demand by the true Corvette aficionados who know how to shift. 7MT forever!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK great, lots of info and I thank everyone.

My wife brought up another point so I'll ask: Has anyone simply leased the car rather than bought it outright? This would sidestep any long-term reliability issues I may face (and prevent me from doing what I usually do, which is keep my cars for decades so they accumulate and my house looks like a used car lot)...

So how about leasing?

·
Registered
482 Posts
The difference between you and I is that I buy to own and if something else comes out that peaks my interest, I ask myself which of my toys will I have to let go. If neither the wife or me want to get rid of one of our toys than we continue to enjoy what we do have. We both keep a daily driver and a toy and that's it maximum of four cars 2 for her and 2 for me lol.

You are assuming that there are long-term issues but what car can't potentially have issues? The C7 is a well made machine and like with anything, most are without issue but you can always be the exception but I would not let that determine what I purchase. A key question with leasing is will it be a low or high mileage lease and/or a daily driver or a toy that's driven in nice weather and weekends...

Oh, to answer your question, I have a friend that he and his wife leases and get different high-end vehicles every 3 years as they like to switch it up and get bored. So you have to ask yourself, if you leased it and when it was time to turn it in would you wish that you would have bought it? If so, then purchase, if not, lease, enjoy, turn it in and move on. Either decision I don't think that you can go wrong.

OK great, lots of info and I thank everyone.

My wife brought up another point so I'll ask: Has anyone simply leased the car rather than bought it outright? This would sidestep any long-term reliability issues I may face (and prevent me from doing what I usually do, which is keep my cars for decades so they accumulate and my house looks like a used car lot)...

So how about leasing?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts